Black Moon LTD

Thread: H51fRED

Hybrid View

Flashaholic*

Default H51fRED

This is just idle chit-chat but I'm curious, for those who are already somewhat interested in Zebralight's H51f model if you would like it if it had a red led in it as well?

A lot of traditional hiking headlamps do have red leds as an option. You can just drill a hold in the side of the reflector and mount the led there. This is done in the Photon Proton Pro. It doesn't interfere with the output of the main led all that much and in the frosted model wouldn't affect it at all.

It makes the red output off-center but again in the frosted version that wouldn't be noticeable either.

You could have the red led mode incorporated as a programmable mode just as the strobe currently is. So you would have H1 at 100 lumen and H2 with red led along with memory as between those two settings.

I actually do alright without a red mode as long as I have a very low mode which the H51f already has but it occurred to me that the frosted model would be the version to add a red led if Zebralight ever decided to do this with one of their models. I realize they already have a dedicated red led model.

What do you think?
    Last edited by gcbryan; 09-16-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Super Moderator

Default Re: H51Fred :)

Who is Fred?
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    Who is Fred?
    He's their frosted red designer.

i like the idea, but i wonder if the reflector is big enough to fit a 5mm led. a 3mm might fit better, but are there 3mm leds that are bright enough to be effective?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by robostudent5000 View Post
    i like the idea, but i wonder if the reflector is big enough to fit a 5mm led. a 3mm might fit better, but are there 3mm leds that are bright enough to be effective?
    The reflector is bigger than the Proton Pro and that red LED is brighter than the one in my Storm.

I was actually planning on buying one of these for my wife. She's really into amateur astronomy, and while I prefer the NVG lights for that, she's a red aficionado... I think this would be a good choice for her, despite it's red-orange and not true deep red.
    What? Me? Derail a thread?