Magicshine MJ-872, Contour HD Plus, Tachyon Micro HD, Kodak PlaySport - Low Light

stollman

Enlightened
Headlamp: MagicShine MJ-872, Max Lumen 1600 (4 settings)
Cameras:
· Tachyon Micro HD – Helmet Camera, 125 Degree FOV
· Contour HD Plus - Helmet Camera, 170 Degree FOV
· Kodak PlaySport – Pocket HD Camcorder, Not wide angle

I decided to test the MagicShine MJ-872 with a couple of HD helmet cameras, and I also threw in my Kodak pocket camcorder. Helmet cameras and camcorders have moved from using CCD chips to CMOS chips because they are much more energy efficient. CMOS chips, though, perform worse in low light conditions. The current helmet cameras all typically use a 1/2.5" CMOS chip and are configured to be used during normal daylight hours. They typically struggle with video quality in low light conditions. I was interested in seeing if the MJ-872 would be able to provide enough lumens for the helmet cameras to capture a decent picture. I picked the Tachyon Micro HD because the manufacturer said it is configured to perform well in low light. I picked the Contour HD Plus because you can configure its settings. I programmed the Contour HD Plus for the best low light performance. I did not consider the GoPro HD because when I talked to the manufacturer about my test, they said their light would probably not perform well. My test was conducted on a bike path at night (pitch black). Below are the results.

Bike Path - Mountain Dew Bottle is 20 ft away, 480 Lumen
Contour HD Plus
30-Contour-Bottle20ft-1.jpg

Tachyon Micro HD
30-Tachyon-Bottle20ft.jpg

Kodak
30-Kodak-Bottle20ft.jpg

Bike Path - Mountain Dew Bottle is 20 ft away, 800 Lumen
Contour
50-Contour-Bottle20ft.jpg

Tachyon
50-Tachyon-Bottle20ft.jpg

Kodak
50-Kodak-Bottle20ft.jpg

Bike Path - Mountain Dew Bottle is 20 ft away, 1200 Lumen
Contour
75-Contour-Bottle20ft.jpg

Tachyon
75-Tachyon-Bottle20ft.jpg

Kodak
75-Kodak-Bottle20ft.jpg

Bike Path - Mountain Dew Bottle is 20 ft away, 1600 Lumen
Contour
100-Contour-Bottle20ft.jpg

Tachyon
100-Tachyon-Bottle20ft.jpg

Kodak
100-Kodak-Bottle20ft.jpg

Bike Path - Bucket Head is 20 ft away, 1600 Lumen
Contour
100-Contour-Bucket20ft.jpg

Tachyon
100-Tachyon-Bucket20ft.jpg

Kodak
100-Kodak-Bucket20ft.jpg

My observations from the tests:
1. The Contour HD Plus had the brightest image of the three, but the image was extremely "streaky" horizontally and vertically, though you may not be able to tell in the photo's. The Contour images also seemed a little "green".
2. The Tachyon had a darker image than the other two cameras, but the colors seemed a little more accurate.
3. The Kodak PlaySport had a decent image at 1600 lumens, though the color was a little off and the image was not as bright as the Contour.
4. Helmet cameras still struggle with capturing a decent image even at 1600 lumens. I did not see a clear winner in this test. I wonder if buying a low end HD camcorder may be a better solution. The problem with that idea, though, is the added bulk and that a regular camcorder cannot be exposed to the elements. I might try to get a GoPro HD and test it for fun.

Stollman

Last edited: