Phoenix Electroforms
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Zebralight SC80

Default Re: Zebralight SC80

No issues here.

Flashaholic

Mine works on eneloops and 123's. That's all it will ever see.
    Great tint and solid build. Not to big for EDC. It's smaller than
    my HDS lights. Front pocket ok.

It's nice to see some love for this light.
    EDC: Zebralight H52w; Backup/loaner: Olight i3S
    Zebralight Mods: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=293092
    The only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it.

Flashaholic*

I will love it more when the SC80W is released.

No issues here.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    No issues here.
    Did you use RCR123s or li ion 14500 battery?

Quote Originally Posted by TyJo View Post
    Did you use RCR123s or li ion 14500 battery?

I really like the size and the feel of the light. The knurling is nice. It's chunky but not as big as an HDS light. I had considered buying another HDS light soon but this one fills my need and has a great UI for less money.

It has basically the same output as my SC51. For walking the dogs, I like the SC51 better because it's thinner and it easily fits in a finger holder. I don't really notice that I'm carrying it. The SC80, however, is fatter and heavier. It would not fit in my finger holder and would probably be clunky. As a flashlight that I'd carry in my hand (not in a holder) I definitely like the SC80 better. The SC51 seems too small - it just doesn't feel right in my hands and I worry I'm going to drop it since it doesn't have any knurling. The SC80 fits very nice in the hand and it feels like it has some substance.

EDIT: I'd really like it if they could make one in black. I'm not a big fan of the color.
    Last edited by Wrecked; 10-31-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Why hasn't anyone reviewed this light yet?

Flashaholic*

Why hasn't anyone reviewed this light yet?
    I'm wondering the same, there isn't even a youtube video up. I emailed Zebralight about the turn off flickering when using li-ions. They said it is normal and only occurs occasionally with a very highly charged li-ion battery (around 4.2v), and there are no ill effects, like parasitic drain. I also asked when the warm version (SC80w) was coming out... they said 2 weeks in the email I received on Nov. 7th (so should be released Nov. 21st).

I like the light although it's not much different than my SC51 and the SC51 is probably easier to carry in a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by TyJo View Post
    I'm wondering the same, there isn't even a youtube video up. I emailed Zebralight about the turn off flickering when using li-ions. They said it is normal and only occurs occasionally with a very highly charged li-ion battery (around 4.2v), and there are no ill effects, like parasitic drain. I also asked when the warm version (SC80w) was coming out... they said 2 weeks in the email I received on Nov. 7th (so should be released Nov. 21st).

TyJo...Thanks For That Info, Especially About The Flickering.....

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by nakahoshi View Post
    I received mine today, very solid light. Protected AW RCR123's fit! The tint is awesome, much nicer than my SC600 (Which isn't that bad at all!) Its creamy white and just about perfect.

I love the versatility, perfect travel light.

-Bobby
    Hey nakahosi,

Your post answered a question that I had about tint, but in an unexpected way. I'm in the process of deciding on a new light and one of my considerations is tint. I don't want something that is too white where colors are washed out, but I do want something that is a bit whiter than the typical incandescent flashlight bulbs. Pictures and videos can be helpful but I understand results depend on the camera and its settings.

From your post, it was interesting to me that you noticed a big enough difference in tint between the SC80 and the SC600 to comment on it, especially in the way you described the SC80 ("creamy white", and "much nicer than the SC600"). In my past research, from looking at
    ZebraLight's product comparison, I realized that the SC80 used an XP-G emitter and the SC600 used an XM-L, but I also saw that the color temperatures for both were 6300 Kelvin, so I was assuming they had similar tints. What I HADN'T noticed was the color rendering index (CRI) for these lights. The SC80 XP-G is 75 while the SC600 XM-L is 65. Of course these indices meant nothing to me because I have neither of these emitters for visual reference. Combining your comparative description with the quantitative values in the charts has made me realize that if I get a ZebraLight with an XM-L emitter, I'm going to wait for the neutral white version. I guess that's what happens when you read literally thousands of posts (at the time of this writing, the SC600 thread is up to post 1907, and I think I read most of them, in addition to all of the other informative ZebraLight threads).

By the way, while I do really like both the SC80 and the SC600, I'm likely going to get one of ZebraLight's headlamps. For my multiple purposes, the configuration of the headlamps are extremely versatile, especially given that some of them have the same emitters and reflectors as the flashlights, except at a 90° angle to the battery, so I'll get the best of both
    worlds. My first one of these will probably be the H51w. Any comparisons anyone can make between this and the SC80 would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully you see this post, and thanks again for sharing.
    Last edited by tony613; 11-19-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tony613 View Post
    ... I guess that's what happens when you read literally thousands of posts
    tony...

I think you're going to fit in just fine here...
    What? Me? Derail a thread?

Flashaholic*

Agreed.
    Last edited by TyJo; 11-11-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by B0wz3r View Post
    tony...

I think you're going to fit in just fine here...
    ===
    Edit:
    Thank you too TyJo. I didn't know if your original post was referring to me and I didn't want to presume. After your edit, there is no doubt.
    ===

Thanks B0wz3r. That was my first welcome. By the way at least 50 of the posts I've read have been yours (does tunnel vision or depth perception ring a bell? How about illegal mountain biking?).

K - sorry for the digression - back on topic -->

Last edited by tony613; 11-11-2011 at 06:00 PM.

Still no one has reviewed this light? Strange.

Still no one has reviewed this light? Strange.
    Indeed. Even a quick youtube vid would be better than nothing.

Just got my SC80 in the mail.

Initial impressions:

It works with protected AW14500 and AW16340. It does NOT work with AW 17500. The back half of the battery tube is too narrow and the cell won't fit. 16340s are 16mm wide while the 17500 is 17mm wide. That 1 mm makes the difference. I'm still debating whether I want to try pealing the lable off my AW 17500 to see if I can squeeze it in without it. It looks like it might fit very tightly without the lable.

The light is small and chunky. However I wasn't blown away with its performance. Basically it performs just like an SC51. The big differences are the better switch and grippy knurling. The knurling is just like that on the SC600 and provides a very secure feeling grip. Much better than the SC51. The switch is also the same as that on the SC600. It's recessed into the light and is firm enough that you shouldn't need to use the tailcap lockout when carrying it in your pocket.

The downside is that it's considerably fatter than an SC51. With its XPG emitter producing maybe 250 lumens on li-ion cells its far less bright than XM-L pocket lights like the Thrunite Neutron, Xeno E03, or Jetbeam RRT-0. This is a light that won't wow you with its performance like the SC600.

The reversible internal plug that allows the light to use either 16340 or 14500 works well. However, I do wish that rather than having one light work with both batteries, they'd instead come out with 2 different versions: One sized for AA and one for CR123. As-is, its wider and heavier than it needs to be for AA, and longer and heavier than it needs to be for CR123. Size and weight are everything in a pocket sized EDC light and the SC80 feels like a step back from the SC51.

Perhaps Zebralight should have come out with 3 versions: The current SC80 that works with both, as well as an optimized version that only works with AA sized cells, and a third version that only works with CR123 sized cells.
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 11-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Banned

Thanks for your thoughtful and critical opinion. That was invaluable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    Perhaps Zebralight should have come out with 3 versions: The current SC80 that works with both, as well as an optimized version that only works with AA sized cells, and a third version that only works with CR123 sized cells.
    I think Zebralight already has lights which are optimized (in size and performance) for 1x AA-sized cell (SC51, ..) or for 1x CR123 sized cell (...?). Since the SC80 has the same old emitter (XP-G) as the SC51, it would make more sense to do a (internal) hardware revision of the SC51, and that's about it ("Now ships with improved driver!, see annotations in red"). No change of model name. They may discontinue the current SC51 model and call the updated model "SC51 R2" (release 2, or version 2), like Xeno does (Xeno E03 V1, E03 V2, E03 V3, etc.) for more clarity on the market.

i get it when you state that the SC80 is a step back from the SC51. I will never ever use CR123 or RCR123's in my flashlights. so i'd probably agree with your statement.

anyway, there seems to be a long line of planned products to come (2012, ..), all with the then outdated(?) XML emitter. i'll continue to lurk..

Quote Originally Posted by kreisler View Post
    I think Zebralight already has lights which are optimized (in size and performance) for 1x AA-sized cell (SC51, ..) or for 1x CR123 sized cell (...?). Since the SC80 has the same old emitter (XP-G) as the SC51, it would make more sense to do a (internal) hardware revision of the SC51...
    I really like the SC51, but it has some things I don't like that render it less than ideal for EDC:
    (1) No knurling - without knurling I find the SC51 very slippery. I put grey indoor stairway grip tape around the center and this solves the grip issue, but it looks messy and could peel off. I understand how knurling isn't workable for something that's designed to be used with a headband. But the for a flashlight, you don't need the headband and do need grip.
    (2) Button is too sensitive and can be accidentally pressed in pocket - I found that with the SC51 it would accidentally turn on in my pocket unless I used the tailcap lockout. It was inconvenient to have to do do this every single time I wanted to use the light.
    (3) sharp edges on clip holder. the SC51 looks elegant and refined with its chrome clip installed. However, the clip adds extra weight and gets in the way if you use grip tape. With the clip removed, the edges of the clip holder are very sharp and can easily tear a pocket to shreds. The holder also looks quite ugly. It is pretty obvious the SC51 wasn't really designed to be used without the clip.

The SC80 fixes all of those flaws. If they'd just left it the same size as the SC51 it would be a great light. However, as-is it's considerably heavier and wider than an SC51, while being no shorter and no brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    This is a light that won't wow you with its performance like the SC600.
    I don't know, 200lm off an Eneloop is still pretty impressive. How many other 200lm 1xaa lights are there?

One thing I am curious about is the difference in throw compared to the SC51. The SC80 looks like it has a smaller reflector?
    New CPF ruins all my fun :-(

Quark is....

I found that I could save a bit of weight in the SC80 simply by removing the brass plug and running the light with a 14500. The battery won't wobble around because of the spring at the back holding it in place against the circuit board. the brass plug isn't really needed unless you want to run the light on CR123.'

Removing the brass plug reduced the weight with an AW 14500 installed and clip off from 2.7 oz to 2.5 oz
    Last edited by Fireclaw18; 11-18-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Flashaholic*

The efficiency of this light, with the two battery capabilities is amazing. No it is not the newest lumen blaster, but it can use AA and CR123 primaries extremely efficiently, along with their li-ion rechargeable siblings, without an extender tube (not to mention the UI and other features). I plan on getting one when the "w" version is available. I'd love to hear some owners opinions who have had their SC80s for a few weeks.

I may consider buying this but my main concern is how more efficient is this on the low than the H31/SC31? I'd only buy it if it is truly superior and not just the same circuit with AA/CR123 capability.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    I may consider buying this but my main concern is how more efficient is this on the low than the H31/SC31? I'd only buy it if it is truly superior and not just the same circuit with AA/CR123 capability.
    From Zebralight website:
    SC31: Low: 5lm (3.7 days) or L2 0.5lm (21 days)
    SC80: AA Low: 2.5lm (3 days) or L2 0.12lm (29 days)
    .....CR123 Low: 2.5lm (4.2 days) or L2 0.12lm (43 days)

Flashaholic

Comparing the SC31 and SC80-Cr123 values: multiplying time and lumens --> looks like the SC31 is twice as efficient as the SC80 cr123

Edit: or theoretical lumens per day / per 10 days:

SC31: 5lm (3.7 days) --> 1,35 lumens/day or L2 0.5lm (21 days) --> 0,238 lumens/10 days
    SC80: CR123 2.5lm (4.2 days) --> 0,595 lumens / day or L2 0.12lm (43 days) --> 0,0279 lumens/10 days

I know it is only theoretically compared but it gives a direction. An in real life you rather have longer runtime on low. But it is also less bright on the SC80
    Last edited by nutcracker; 11-19-2011 at 05:48 PM.
    Maglite 3D // MTE SSC-P7-C // 47's Quark 123˛ NW XP-G R4 // HDS Rotary R1S-200 + Lee Filter 206 quarter CT orange // 4Seven's Preon 2 highCRI SaTi // green Thrunite Ti

Quote Originally Posted by tony613 View Post
    Hey nakahosi,

Your post answered a question that I had about tint, but in an unexpected way. I'm in the process of deciding on a new light and one of my considerations is tint. I don't want something that is too white where colors are washed out, but I do want something that is a bit whiter than the typical incandescent flashlight bulbs. Pictures and videos can be helpful but I understand results depend on the camera and its settings.

From your post, it was interesting to me that you noticed a big enough difference in tint between the SC80 and the SC600 to comment on it, especially in the way you described the SC80 ("creamy white", and "much nicer than the SC600"). In my past research, from looking at
    ZebraLight's product comparison, I realized that the SC80 used an XP-G emitter and the SC600 used an XM-L, but I also saw that the color temperatures for both were 6300 Kelvin, so I was assuming they had similar tints. What I HADN'T noticed was the color rendering index (CRI) for these lights. The SC80 XP-G is 75 while the SC600 XM-L is 65. Of course these indices meant nothing to me because I have neither of these emitters for visual reference. Combining your comparative description with the quantitative values in the charts has made me realize that if I get a ZebraLight with an XM-L emitter, I'm going to wait for the neutral white version. I guess that's what happens when you read literally thousands of posts (at the time of this writing, the SC600 thread is up to post 1907, and I think I read most of them, in addition to all of the other informative ZebraLight threads).

By the way, while I do really like both the SC80 and the SC600, I'm likely going to get one of ZebraLight's headlamps. For my multiple purposes, the configuration of the headlamps are extremely versatile, especially given that some of them have the same emitters and reflectors as the flashlights, except at a 90° angle to the battery, so I'll get the best of both
    worlds. My first one of these will probably be the H51w. Any comparisons anyone can make between this and the SC80 would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully you see this post, and thanks again for sharing.
    tony613 ,

Sorry I must have missed your post!

I was just reading through some Zebralight threads and I happened to see your response. The timing is great, I just got back from a walk and was comparing the SC80 to the SC600!

Direct Comparison between the two lights:
    SC80-Pure White
    SC600-Slight Hint of Green, It pretty much disappears when I'm not hunting white walls.

Outside the difference was even less, I preferred the SC600 for its output.

I might even be favoring the SC80 because of its higher rated CRI, not sure on that. If I ONLY had the SC600, It would be hard to see the green tint.

The SC80 has one of the nicest tints I have ever had in a Light. It reminds me of the luxeon "WO" tint. I really like the size of the light as well, its definitively large for a CR123 light but it fits great in hand. I have been running AA NiMh for a few weeks and the output / runtime is impressive. I also love that they got rid of PWM!

-Bobby
    Last edited by nakahoshi; 11-21-2011 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Removed some Off Topic Banter

Well it looks like the SC31 would be more efficient then than the SC80. This goes counter to what Zebralight mentioned in this very thread. I will find it now and post back here when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
    Comparing the SC31 and SC80-Cr123 values: multiplying time and lumens --> looks like the SC31 is twice as efficient as the SC80 cr123

Edit: or theoretical lumens per day / per 10 days:

SC31: 5lm (3.7 days) --> 1,35 lumens/day or L2 0.5lm (21 days) --> 0,238 lumens/10 days
    SC80: CR123 2.5lm (4.2 days) --> 0,595 lumens / day or L2 0.12lm (43 days) --> 0,0279 lumens/10 days

I know it is only theoretically compared but it gives a direction. An in real life you rather have longer runtime on low. But it is also less bright on the SC80
    ok, I found Zebralight's post in #186:

Quote Originally Posted by zebralight
    The SC80 driver is our first try to design a circuit that can run both 1.5V and 3V primaries. What we have achieved is that its 1.5V performance matches the SC51/H51, and in the same time its 3V performance (efficiency/runtimes) suppassed the SC31/H31 by a wide margin.

Where is this wide margin the efficiency or runtime surpassed the SC31 on low? As pointed out above the SC31 gives more lumens per 10 days meaning it is actually more efficient than the new SC80. Did Zebralight fail to do the math on their end?

Flashaholic*

Maybe they were just referring to the high runtimes. The lows are still very impressive considering the the range of accepted voltages.