PEAK
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Zebralight SC80

Default Re: Zebralight SC80

Thanks for the info guys. I do want an HCRI light that's closer to neutral, despite that I really like my Quarks and the Lumens Factory P60 I got recently. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger just yet until I can get more specific info about the SC80. (And I certainly don't have a shortage of EDC lights right now either!)
    What? Me? Derail a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by B0wz3r View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I do want an HCRI light that's closer to neutral, despite that I really like my Quarks and the Lumens Factory P60 I got recently. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger just yet until I can get more specific info about the SC80. (And I certainly don't have a shortage of EDC lights right now either!)
    I quite like the SC51c since it is quite close to neutral white. Not really near cool white but cooler than most high CRI. The SC80c should share the same tint as the SC51c. Anything more neutral you'd have to settle for a McGizmo which is amongst all high CRI lights, my personal favorite.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    I quite like the SC51c since it is quite close to neutral white. Not really near cool white but cooler than most high CRI. The SC80c should share the same tint as the SC51c. Anything more neutral you'd have to settle for a McGizmo which is amongst all high CRI lights, my personal favorite.
    Hi PJ... thanks for the info. I've been mulling a 51c as well, but I like the form factor of the 80c better, and the 'dual fuel' option as well. For me it'd be more versatile as a BOB/camping light, and work better with something like a two-fish bike block for the handlebars of my bicycle. I like the idea I could use a 14500 in it too if needs be.

I've read several reports here that the SC80 seems to spontaneously turn on if exposed to a static charge. For some reason I seem to be producing a lot more of those in the last several months, so it's something I'm concerned about. Can anyone confirm that this happens or not?
    What? Me? Derail a thread?

If you haven't seen the Nichia Rebel, it's tint is very cool for a high CRI. Zebralight says it's in the 4000 range, but it looks cooler than that to me.

I've read several reports here that the SC80 seems to spontaneously turn on if exposed to a static charge. For some reason I seem to be producing a lot more of those in the last several months, so it's something I'm concerned about. Can anyone confirm that this happens or not?
    Never had this problem and i was not able to reproduce it on SC80. But this potential issue was described with the first batch of SC600, defective switch.

Flashaholic*

FYI - SC80W's show back in stock at ZL.
    Last edited by shane45_1911; 01-31-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45_1911 View Post
    FYI - SC80W's show back in stock at ZL.
    Just receieved mine back from zebralight had a switch promblem and missed it for a while but working fine now....

Question Re: Zebralight SC80

Lightjunction.com is offering the SC80 for $84.99,which seems a little high, but they do offer a CPF discount. Anybody know what the discount code is and what percentage off their price it would be? Do they offer the same discount on all the lights they offer?

Quote Originally Posted by henry1960

Just receieved mine back from zebralight had a switch promblem and missed it for a while but working fine now....
    What was wrong with your switch? Mine keeps flashing after I turn it off and won't go into the secondary modes.

Quote Originally Posted by GForGeep View Post
    What was wrong with your switch? Mine keeps flashing after I turn it off and won't go into the secondary modes.

What mine would do is some times and some times only...would put on low and it would skip to high or hold switch in to go through all modes and it would not. But zebra light fixed all that and everythiing is working normal now....So Far

Quote Originally Posted by henry1960

What mine would do is some times and some times only...would put on low and it would skip to high or hold switch in to go through all modes and it would not. But zebra light fixed all that and everythiing is working normal now....So Far
    How long did it take to get it back after you sent it?

Quote Originally Posted by Danielight View Post
    Lightjunction.com is offering the SC80 for $84.99,which seems a little high, but they do offer a CPF discount. Anybody know what the discount code is and what percentage off their price it would be? Do they offer the same discount on all the lights they offer?
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...bpages-dealers
    Semper Fi

Wink2 Re: Zebralight SC80

THank you for the link, Fitz. I found out that I have to sign up for the CPF Marketplace as a separate forum, which I did last night. Once there, I actually found a link to Lightjunction with the info I requested. (Now I just have to wait until the moderators give me the "green light" for permission to make posts in the forum.)

THank you for the link, Fitz. I found out that I have to sign up for the CPF Marketplace as a separate forum, which I did last night. Once there, I actually found a link to Lightjunction with the info I requested. (Now I just have to wait until the moderators give me the "green light" for permission to make posts in the forum.)
    You're welcome, lots of perks for being a member, always good to support our CPF sponsoring vendors!
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by GForGeep View Post
    How long did it take to get it back after you sent it?

It took a while i would say eight to nine weeks...but i think they had a big back order thats why..plus they had a few promblems and been very busy..i was kinda iretated but its fixed.

I have 2 SC80's. A "c" and a regular cool tint model and they both work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    I have 2 SC80's. A "c" and a regular cool tint model and they both work just fine.
    Brasso, how do you like the pocket clip on the SC80? I'm kinda torn right now between this light and the SC51. I like the features of the SC80, especially the cr123/AA battery options, but do like the pocket clip on the SC51. I would probably lean toward the SC80 if the clip is secure. (BTW, is the switch on your SC80 OK? Some people have remarked that there was a problem with the light turning itself on due to static discharge while in the pocket.)

The switches on my lights works just fine. No problems with static, etc. The only thing I prefer about the SC51 is the size. Other than that I prefer the SC80 all around. I can carry it in my pocket and not worry about it coming on or having to twist the tail cap. I was skeptical about the clip when I saw pictures of it, but rest assured it is quite a bit more substantial than it looks. You shouldn't have any problems.

I've been using the SC51 as an around the house at night light. Just 2 nights ago I was sitting here at the computer and felt my leg burning. It was hot. Too hot to even hold. So yeah, SC80 all the way.
    Last edited by Brasso; 02-11-2012 at 09:33 AM.

is there any concern about the brass piece rubbing on the inside of the battery tube and creating a short? i had seen this mentioned before, but never knew if this was a significant issue or not. it's one reason that i was hesitant about getting one. another reason being that i just bought 3 other zebralights and ordered an HDS; and i keep thinking i should stop buying lights for a while. this light really interests me though. i use a SC50w at work and this would be a good replacement. i always lock out my light and it would be nice to not have to do that with the more recessed button on the SC80w.
    i like flashlights.

Flashaholic*

I have a question for those that have the SC80. The listed lowest voltage is .7 my question is if I use a CR123 primary will it drain it to .7 volts ? Most CR123 based lights stop powering their respective light at about 1.5 volts. Someone which has a voltmeter and some used CR123 please measure it for me and let me know. Appreciated.
    Last edited by marinemaster; 02-13-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by burntoshine View Post
    is there any concern about the brass piece rubbing on the inside of the battery tube and creating a short?
    Yes, it is a concern - but only if you plan on changing batteries A LOT - and having this plug slide around. The solution is to put some heat shrink around the plug. Or remove the plug completely if you are planning on using AA's only. (Might need to wrap the AA's with some paper or make some cardboard shims, to stop the rattle.)

Question Re: Zebralight SC80

Yes, it is a concern - but only if you plan on changing batteries A LOT - and having this plug slide around. The solution is to put some heat shrink around the plug. Or remove the plug completely if you are planning on using AA's only. (Might need to wrap the AA's with some paper or make some cardboard shims, to stop the rattle.)
    Any other SC80 owners had a problem with this? For example, if you had to change the cr123 every two months, would that be considered "A LOT"?

I use mine with AW 14500 batteries. I took out the brass plug to make the light weigh less. The spring is strong enough that there's no battery rattle of any kind.

I tried sticking in an AW 17500 battery, but the light was just a tiny bit too narrow. Without the AW sticker it might fight. My guess is a Panasonic 17500 without protection might barely fit.

Any other SC80 owners had a problem with this? For example, if you had to change the cr123 every two months, would that be considered "A LOT"?
    The only way it's going to wear heavily is if you are constantly opening up the front of the light and reversing the plug each time. So you'd have to constantly be swapping battery size from AA to CR123. If you're just opening up the light to pull out an old CR123 for a new one, that won't cause it to wear since you would open the back of the light and the brass plug wouldn't be moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    The switches on my lights works just fine. No problems with static, etc. The only thing I prefer about the SC51 is the size. Other than that I prefer the SC80 all around. I can carry it in my pocket and not worry about it coming on or having to twist the tail cap. I was skeptical about the clip when I saw pictures of it, but rest assured it is quite a bit more substantial than it looks. You shouldn't have any problems.

I've been using the SC51 as an around the house at night light. Just 2 nights ago I was sitting here at the computer and felt my leg burning. It was hot. Too hot to even hold. So yeah, SC80 all the way.
    This.

I also dislike the size of the SC80. It's so fat and heavy compared to the SC51. I wish they'd make a light like the SC80, but working only with AA / 14500 and as narrow as an SC51.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireclaw18 View Post
    The only way it's going to wear heavily is if you are constantly opening up the front of the light and reversing the plug each time. So you'd have to constantly be swapping battery size from AA to CR123. If you're just opening up the light to pull out an old CR123 for a new one, that won't cause it to wear since you would open the back of the light and the brass plug wouldn't be moved.
    Thanks, Fireclaw ... that makes sense. Not sure which type of battery I would use more, but I think the cr123 would produce more lumens, so I'd probably use them, and switch to AAs only if I had to.

Flashaholic*

Need some help explanation with the levels. I was using the SC80 today and is now stuck on High with only one level. If I do the 7 click thing then all I get is strobe so what I get in the end is High/Strobe but how do I get to the other High levels ? I tried like 10 times it wont do it. The Zebra site may need a youtube video. They need to have better instructions. Right now I have a light that does not work correctly. The two low levels and two mid levels work but the high level is only one level and after 7 fast double clicks all I get is strobe. Need help here please.

With your light on High, you do six double-clicks (12 clicks total) to get to programming mode. Then, you keep double-clicking to advance through the other sub-levels. When you get to the one you want, simply click the light off to keep it.

See the video made by samgab in this post. Almost forgot to mention, the relevant part for you starts around the 2:45 mark.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, you probably inadvertently set both high modes to high.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by marinemaster View Post
    Need some help explanation with the levels. I was using the SC80 today and is now stuck on High with only one level. If I do the 7 click thing then all I get is strobe so what I get in the end is High/Strobe but how do I get to the other High levels ? I tried like 10 times it wont do it. The Zebra site may need a youtube video. They need to have better instructions. Right now I have a light that does not work correctly. The two low levels and two mid levels work but the high level is only one level and after 7 fast double clicks all I get is strobe. Need help here please.
    One thing that may help you is to know that you do not need to "double-click" as fast as humanly possible. You can actually use a reasonable click pace and still manage to configure the light. When I first got a Zebralight I was clicking madly and I seemed to confuse the light, and myself. Once I slowed down all was much better. Experiment and let us know how you make out.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 256789101112131415 LastLast