Need a good 120vac to 12vdc transoformer.

och

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, here's my dillema. I have a rather beautiful ceiling fixture that is using twenty five 12volt 10watt G4 bulbs. Ever since I bought this fixture, its been problematic - the bulbs kept constantly burning out ever couple of weeks, and I had to keep replacing them. Recently though the fixture started flickering, so I'm pretty sure the transformer inside of it is shot. The fixture was rather expensive, but something tells me they have used a cheap transformer, so I'd like to replace it.

So I need an advice, on what type of transformer to get. It must meet the following requirements.
1) Able to handle at least 250 watts (if possible more, I might replace some 10 watt bulbs with 20 watts to get more light)
2) Must be dimmable, preferably producing as little noise as possible.
3) I would like to swap the new transformer into the location of existing, so it can't be too large. If thats unavoidable, I can live with a bigger transformer, I will just have to hide it inside the ceiling.
4) If possible, it should be compatible with both halogen bulbs and LEDs. Once LED bulbs mature and they start making G4 LED bulbs with decent light output I might switch to them.

Thanks in advance.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you really looking for a transformer? Digikey sells a transformer that will take 115vac at the input and produce 12vac at the output, converting up to 250 watts. You'll need to rig up a bridge rectifier if you want a DC output. Cost is about $80.

If you are actually looking for a regulated DC output, then you'll want to specify "power supply" instead of "transformer". That'll probably cost more, although there are quite a few available, I suspect.

regards,
Steve K.

JacobJones

Enlightened
My suggestion is to phone the company that made the light fixture and have a rant, maybe they'll fix it for you

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
or a computer psu will work fine.

how exactly are they dimming the lights though? are all the bulbs wired in parallel? u could use a rheostat.

my cost free if you know a geek