Imalent
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peak Eiger, now with Nichia 119-H1 High CRI

Hybrid View

Default Peak Eiger, now with Nichia 119-H1 High CRI

warm, high CRI. The same LED seen here.

In stainless 10180, stainless 10280, and stainless or aluminum AAA sizes.
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 02-04-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Peak Eiger, now with Nichia 119-H1 High CRI

I'm glad to see more of the Nichia 119's being offered but $30 extra for the Nichia 119 option over the standard XPG is too much IMO unless it is an aftermarket mod?

EDIT: ElectronGuru, sorry didn't realize it was your website, I assume it is an aftermarket mod then which makes the price acceptable.
    Last edited by THE_dAY; 09-15-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Yes, we spent nearly a year locating and importing these ourselves and having them installed. They are not available from the factory and may not be done again.
    Last edited by ElectronGuru; 09-15-2011 at 02:01 PM.

Wow, with the high-CRI option, the Eiger rises straight to the top of my wish list!
    Which beam profile comes with your Eigers: narrow (reflector), medium (18 degree optic), or wide (30-degree reflector)?
    Or does the high-CRI Eiger use only its own built-in optic?
    Last edited by Paul_in_Maryland; 09-15-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    My lights, all AA, neutral or warm: 3 Fenix TK20s; 2 Malkoff M30WFs; 2 Shiningbeam Romisens (5A); Dereelight XP-G R5 (close enough); UK 4AA incan.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_in_Maryland View Post
    Which beam profile comes with your Eigers: narrow (reflector), medium (18 degree optic), or wide (30-degree reflector)?
    Narrow optic, actually. Here's a close up, side view

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    4500K, high CRI. The same LED seen here.

In stainless 10180, stainless 10280, and stainless or aluminum AAA sizes.
    any chance on size comparisons of the three? new to the flash world and i saw the batt. size of the 10180 but not the 280s.

I'm looking more for something smaller, something to wear so i'm thinking 10180.

do you know the run times with the stock LED and the max output OTF lumens?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_in_Maryland View Post
    Wow, with the high-CRI option, the Eiger rises straight to the top of my wish list!
    Or does the high-CRI Eiger use only its own built-in optic?
    Why get a high-cri option versus the stock LED? do you know the compasion of lumens between the two LED's?

Sorry, as mentioned, i'm knew to the names of the LED's and acronyms so i'm learning as i go. Ideally, i'd love to have something like a lummi (i know the current status of that manuf. ) or a draco and hopefully, the newest run of the 38dd. this little dude seems like the way to go for now.

in the end, i'm looking for something tiny, and bright and wearable.

thanks folks.

Flashaholic*

Narrow optic, actually. Here's a close up, side view
    Nice, narrow optic sound great!

Wow only 4 left.

Make that three left. AAA AL body with the momentary switch. I can't wait to see this beam. I already have a medium optic SS AAA keychain QTC Eiger (what a mouth full) that I really like. This may end up replacing it. I have a few questions more about the Eiger in general.

1. Does anyone know if the momentary switch will thread into the rear of the key ring body? I ask because I have a SS QTC key ring body. I would like to be able to use the AL or SS body with the switch.

2. Are the extended 2xAAA bodies available anywhere at the moment? I have a feeling that this will end up being my "be all end all" pen light with a few eneloops!
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

1. Does anyone know if the momentary switch will thread into the rear of the key ring body?
    There are 3 styles of Eiger body:

short/flat (pocket)
    short/lug (keychain)
    long keychain/momentary

Only the long one has the space in the bottom to house the length of the momentary switches plunger. Both of the short bodies are head activation only.

2. Are the extended 2xAAA bodies available anywhere at the moment?
    Peak is still completing the conversion to QTC. 2AAA's are next.

BTW, 2AAA are only available in long key/mom

This is one of those, order now, think about it later type deals!!

Order placed!!
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

OK, I'm ready to order a 2AAA high-CRI Eiger for my daughter, who is in medical school. But I don't see a choice that specifically says "momentary" or "2AAA." How can I select a 2AAA body? Will I need to buy a high-CRI Eiger from you with a 1AAA body, then buy a 2AAA non-QTC body elsewhere?

Or is your "long body" a "2AAA QTC with momentary"? I'm guessing it's not, since your quotation below suggests that no QTC 2AAA bodies have been produced.

short/flat (pocket)
    short/lug (keychain)
    long keychain/momentary

Only the long one has the space in the bottom to house the length of the momentary switches plunger. Both of the short bodies are head activation only.

Last edited by Paul_in_Maryland; 09-15-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: to clarify
    My lights, all AA, neutral or warm: 3 Fenix TK20s; 2 Malkoff M30WFs; 2 Shiningbeam Romisens (5A); Dereelight XP-G R5 (close enough); UK 4AA incan.

Flashaholic*

If the stock levels are to be believed I just bought the last normal AAA sized light with the Nichia LED. I followed the pay now, think later philosophy. Figure I could flip on MP if I am not happy with it. I doubt that will be the case. Damn you Oveready and your sourcing prowess.

eala

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by eala View Post
    If the stock levels are to be believed I just bought the last normal AAA sized light with the Nichia LED.
    Yeah it looks like the Nichia 119's are gone. That was fast.

Whoever gets these please post some beamshots showing off color rendering of the High CRI.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru

short/flat (pocket)
    short/lug (keychain)
    long keychain/momentary

Thank you for the reply and also for making this available to the CPF community! I'll just have to be patient and wait to complete my penlight. For the time being, I can't wait to get this little torch in my hands!

*Deleted*
    Double post
    Last edited by Diablo_331; 09-15-2011 at 05:55 PM.

These have no voltage booster, so more voltage = more output. Only 2AAA Eneloop can get close to the brightness of a single lithium ion cell.
    Agreed, but it may be worth pointing out that 2x Eneloops = 2.4v, while 2x L92 = 3.0v (and thus the latter will be brighter) ... while a 10440 is 3.6v (nominal).

EDIT: Also, I think the Eiger circuit may have voltage boost (to a minimum Vf drive output), but no buck. Therefore, if voltage input exceeds the boost level, the light goes into direct drive and increases output. Maybe Curt could post here to clarify?
    Last edited by archimedes; 09-17-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Flashaholic*

What Archimedes said +1.

My most recent batch of new L92's measured 1.8v starting out - two of these in an Eiger Penlight are (to my old eyes at least) very nearly as bright as an Eiger with a 10440.
    Peakaholic!

Flashaholic*

None of the body options seem to include the momentary switch. If I want the switch, do I purchase the long keychain body and then get the momentary switch separately?

Please forgive my ignorance of how Peak configurations are handled.

--flatline

Flashaholic*

They're out of switches ATM.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Just placed my order after mulling this over for a couple days. The 119 H1 is my favorite emitter of all time, so this was too tempting to pass up.

Dan: I'm not super picky so whatever arrives is fine, but if I ordered a AAA Eiger with the "AAA Short Keychain - SS QTC (+10.00)" body, exactly what body is this? Is the body material stainless steel (to match the head) and does it have the screw-in split-ring attachment or is it lug style?

Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, got it all figured out.
    Last edited by calipsoii; 09-18-2011 at 02:12 PM.

I ordered the 4th to last one. I received an email from Dan saying that they were out of the mom switches and that they were working with Peak throughout the weekend to get it sorted out. He even offered to change my order or to give me a refund. That's good customer service in my book. That and the fact that its a high CRI Eiger is the reason that I will be giving Dan all the time he needs to get the mom switch sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan
    Mine landed, good stuff!!!
    May I please ask what clip is on your Eiger? Does that come with the long key/mom bodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo_331 View Post
    May I please ask what clip is on your Eiger? Does that come with the long key/mom bodies?
    It is the Oveready clip for the Logans. PSM ground it down to custom fit the Eiger. Looks great!

S1LVA

P.s. what an appropriate thread to have my 119th post in
    I used to be afraid of the dark. Now, the dark is afraid of me.

Quote Originally Posted by S1LVA View Post
    It is the Oveready clip for the Logans. PSM ground it down to custom fit the Eiger. Looks great!

S1LVA

S1LVA is correct, but credit goes to Deaths Head. His idea, not mine

I put the clip on the eiger, and drew a line with a sharpie to know how much I needed to grind off. I ground it down with a dremel, it was easy. Now its the perfect work EDC! (Medical, that high CRI is great!)
    -Gene Malkoff

Flashaholic

I received my AAA Eiger light today and let me say... WOW! This is a beautiful beam of light! This is my first high CRI light and so far I am really liking it! Now I just need to get a momentary switch for it!

Couple quick questions though. I am not very familiar with Peak as this is my first one and there was not any paperwork with the light. What is the battery voltage range these will take? Will these take Li-Ion and if so will it be brighter?

Yes, it can take Li Ion, it will be brighter.
    -Gene Malkoff

My second 10180 landed today, this one with the Nichia 119-H1 and I am so pleased with the lovely beam and how colors just ring true off of it. I hemmed and hawed over spending an additional $30 for the high CRI, but it truly is worth every penny especially since my Eiger AAA body can wear this special head too.

Quote Originally Posted by S1LVA

S1LVA

That looks very good! Does he still make or offer them by any chance? Sorry for all of the questions!
    Thanks,
    Colby

Yeah, Eigers are definitely quite awesome.

BTW, I have been using the Nichia 119 (HighCRI) for a couple days now on the 10180 - wow, what a nice tint ! Max output is not nearly the crazy amount seen with the XP-G, of course, but still plenty for such a tiny light. I have also noticed a bigger apparent drop in output with the Nichia as the LED heats up, than with the XP-G, but I rarely run it on maximum anyway. Running it on one of the larger bodies might also (theoretically, at least) increase the heat-sinking.

I am very, very pleased with this purchase....
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Yeah, Eigers are definitely quite awesome.

I am very, very pleased with this purchase....
    I run my high CRI head in the AAA body - tried it with an old 10440 and it was quirky. Did okay with alkaline - better with Eneloop. When I say, "Better", it seemed as though there was more range from low to high with the Eneloop, but obviously not as bright as with the older 10440. Ah...today a couple of new AW 10440s showed up and each one seems to be juuuust right...nice low with a smoother transition to high - and of course, much brighter. The high CRI is awesome, but I haven't run it long enough to see if it drops in output.

I'll borrow your statement - "I am very, very pleased with this purchase(s)!"