Ascent Fair
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Peak Eiger, now with Nichia 119-H1 High CRI

Default Re: Peak Eiger, now with Nichia 119-H1 High CRI

Is the 2xAAA Eiger in full SS still available with the Nichia HCRI?

On the product page the only "Engine/Head" option is "Cree XPG Warm/CRI."

Flashaholic*

IIRC the Nichia HCRI was a really short run. It was very difficult for Oveready to get that particular LED from Nichia.

The warm XP-G is an excellent alternative.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

I have both the Oveready Nichia and the Oveready XPG warm & I cant tell them apart. Literally... I keep the Oveready Nichia in a black aluminum body so I know which one it is.

I bought a 1xAAA Nichea Eiger for my daughter in med school. I'm holding onto it, and a matching 2xAAA body, until she loses her Preon 1 Warm White.
    My lights, all AA, neutral or warm: 3 Fenix TK20s; 2 Malkoff M30WFs; 2 Shiningbeam Romisens (5A); Dereelight XP-G R5 (close enough); UK 4AA incan.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_in_Maryland View Post
    I bought a 1xAAA Nichea Eiger for my daughter in med school. I'm holding onto it, and a matching 2xAAA body, until she loses her Preon 1 Warm White.
    Paul in Maryland,

what do you think about the 2xAAA? The specs with the warm XPG say 200 lumens! What is the output, would you guess, with the Nichia in 2xAAA? (on max). Did you get the momentary? I guess that would make sense for the med school application.

Thirsday I got some new AW 10440s in and have been trying to run the light with them. The QTC doesn't really work anymore, there is only maybe one step between off and full output.
    Before I had used with NIMHs and it worked great except for being a bit too hard to screw in.
    The big problem though is that i gets extremely hot really fast (around 30s). It does become much brighter, definitely over 100 lumens.
    I wouldn't really consider it useable with these batteries since I can't turn it down.
    Is this normal?

Flashaholic*

Sometimes the wrapping on the 10440's interferes with the contact to the QTC pill. The QTC pill can also flip over in the light. You will notice the metal button on one side of it has a smaller diameter than the other side. Try the smaller diameter towards the cell.

eala

Thanks for the tips eala, but how am I supposed to get the QTC pill out of the body? It doesn't fall out by its self.
    If there's no contact because of the wrapping shouldn't the light not work at all?

Flashaholic*

A very reasonable question. I have not had to do it with a pocket or lug body which is what you must have. If you had a keychain body, then it is simple.

The only guy I know who has done it is gunga, and he said it was not easy.

My theory on the wrapping is that it can tip the QTC at an angle and thus mess up the compression of the material. It is only a theory.

eala

I have 2 new 10440s from AW and it doesn't dim correctly with either one of them.
    I have a SS lug body.
    Should I maybe put a small magnet/spacer inbetween the battery and the qtc?

Does it dim with regular batteries? I found that the small Peaks with QTC are just kinda flaky. They say because the threading is so short/rapid and the amount of pressure is hard to adjust smoothly and slowly.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

With LSD NiMHs from Panasonic it seems to work great (but a little flaky like you said, the threads should be much finer). I just noticed that on the NiMHs the wrapper doesn't cover the outer rim of the negative contact pad. On the 10440s it does. I guess this might be the problem.I will try to look for a spacer or something.