• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger, now with Nichia 119-H1 High CRI

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to see more of the Nichia 119's being offered but $30 extra for the Nichia 119 option over the standard XPG is too much IMO unless it is an aftermarket mod?

EDIT: ElectronGuru, sorry didn't realize it was your website, I assume it is an aftermarket mod then which makes the price acceptable.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Yes, we spent nearly a year locating and importing these ourselves and having them installed. They are not available from the factory and may not be done again.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, with the high-CRI option, the Eiger rises straight to the top of my wish list!
Which beam profile comes with your Eigers: narrow (reflector), medium (18 degree optic), or wide (30-degree reflector)?
Or does the high-CRI Eiger use only its own built-in optic?

Last edited:

ravot

Newly Enlightened
4500K, high CRI. The same LED seen here.

In stainless 10180, stainless 10280, and stainless or aluminum AAA sizes.

any chance on size comparisons of the three? new to the flash world and i saw the batt. size of the 10180 but not the 280s.

I'm looking more for something smaller, something to wear so i'm thinking 10180.

do you know the run times with the stock LED and the max output OTF lumens?

Wow, with the high-CRI option, the Eiger rises straight to the top of my wish list!
Which beam profile comes with your Eigers: narrow (reflector), medium (18 degree optic), or wide (30-degree reflector)?
Or does the high-CRI Eiger use only its own built-in optic?

Why get a high-cri option versus the stock LED? do you know the compasion of lumens between the two LED's?

Sorry, as mentioned, i'm knew to the names of the LED's and acronyms so i'm learning as i go. Ideally, i'd love to have something like a lummi (i know the current status of that manuf. :party: ) or a draco and hopefully, the newest run of the 38dd. this little dude seems like the way to go for now.

in the end, i'm looking for something tiny, and bright and wearable.

thanks folks.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
any chance on size comparisons of the three? new to the flash world and i saw the batt. size of the 10180 but not the 280s.

You can see them both in the center of this image. The 280 is the same length as a long door key. The 180 is more like a padlock key, about 2 inches. The choice is better made relative to lumen use and runtime. The 180 is better run usually on low, sometimes on high. The 280 is better for 'usually high' use.

do you know the run times with the stock LED and the max output OTF lumens?

We don't have numbers yet, but runtime on high at these sizes is usually measured in minutes, not hours. If you want to recharge only once a week with occasional use, get the 280 for sure.

Why get a high-cri option versus the stock LED? do you know the compasion of lumens between the two LED's?

The Cree is visibly brighter. But with the cool color, there's also more glare. I would guess the Nichia to be half as bright, probably under 100 lumens. Its really how important color is to you. If you need to accurately read maps or diagnose based on skin color, totally worth it. For just walking down dark stairs, not so much.

in the end, i'm looking for something tiny, and bright and wearable.

Sounds like the XPG to me. But either way you select, an exchange is no problem.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Make that three left. AAA AL body with the momentary switch. I can't wait to see this beam. I already have a medium optic SS AAA keychain QTC Eiger (what a mouth full) that I really like. This may end up replacing it. I have a few questions more about the Eiger in general.

1. Does anyone know if the momentary switch will thread into the rear of the key ring body? I ask because I have a SS QTC key ring body. I would like to be able to use the AL or SS body with the switch.

2. Are the extended 2xAAA bodies available anywhere at the moment? I have a feeling that this will end up being my "be all end all" pen light with a few eneloops!

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
1. Does anyone know if the momentary switch will thread into the rear of the key ring body?

There are 3 styles of Eiger body:

short/flat (pocket)
short/lug (keychain)
long keychain/momentary

Only the long one has the space in the bottom to house the length of the momentary switches plunger. Both of the short bodies are head activation only.

2. Are the extended 2xAAA bodies available anywhere at the moment?

Peak is still completing the conversion to QTC. 2AAA's are next.

BTW, 2AAA are only available in long key/mom

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I'm ready to order a 2AAA high-CRI Eiger for my daughter, who is in medical school. But I don't see a choice that specifically says "momentary" or "2AAA." How can I select a 2AAA body? Will I need to buy a high-CRI Eiger from you with a 1AAA body, then buy a 2AAA non-QTC body elsewhere?

Or is your "long body" a "2AAA QTC with momentary"? I'm guessing it's not, since your quotation below suggests that no QTC 2AAA bodies have been produced.

short/flat (pocket)
short/lug (keychain)
long keychain/momentary

Only the long one has the space in the bottom to house the length of the momentary switches plunger. Both of the short bodies are head activation only.

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
ElectronGuru said:

short/flat (pocket)
short/lug (keychain)
long keychain/momentary

Thank you for the reply and also for making this available to the CPF community! I'll just have to be patient and wait to complete my penlight. For the time being, I can't wait to get this little torch in my hands!

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the stock levels are to be believed I just bought the last normal AAA sized light with the Nichia LED. I followed the pay now, think later philosophy. Figure I could flip on MP if I am not happy with it. I doubt that will be the case. Damn you Oveready and your sourcing prowess.

eala

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the stock levels are to be believed I just bought the last normal AAA sized light with the Nichia LED.
Yeah it looks like the Nichia 119's are gone. That was fast.

Whoever gets these please post some beamshots showing off color rendering of the High CRI.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Ah thanks for that, I had only checked under the AAA category.

Are all the heads with the Nichia 119 the same type of head since the bodies are interchangeable?

Yup, level 8, at least the two XPG QTC heads I already own are level 8's. I have a SS AAA body with QTC and a ground down Oveready clip with momentary switch mines going on to. :D

I'll throw the xpg head on the Al body, lol.
(credit to deaths head for clip idea!)