New divelight @ Manafont

Racket

Newly Enlightened
Would this make a good travel/backup light? I don't think I could make anything for this price.

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that all depends on what you consider requirements in a travel or a backup light.

I wouldnt consider it good as a travel light as its very heavy at 500 grams plus it uses rechargeable batteries so you also need to carry a charger and there is not option to use standard off the shelf batteries.

As for a back up light, its a bit big for my liking but I guess when stowed away properly I doubt you would notice it.

betti154

Enlightened
I find it quite interesting what people dean worthy as a backup light. I dive in caves, and personally want a small and more importantly reliable light for my backup lights.

I use two light monkey rat juniors, and am happy to say they have plenty of light. Would I. Like more? Yes, but their size and weight are to die for.

These look interesting, but two rechargeable batteries is not to my liking for a ba kip solution.

Regards,
Damien Siviero
http://damiensiviero.com

Racket

Newly Enlightened
I guess by "back up" I meant a back up to my primary. I woudln't dive this as a backup to a canister light.

OS74

Newly Enlightened
Ok,

there is also one with "stepless brightness controll". Anyone have a clue how that works, or is it just a multi-mode driver lost in translation?

If this works well, this could be a cheapo candadate for a dimmable camera focuslight

Cheers
/O

wquiles

Flashaholic
there is also one with "stepless brightness controll". Anyone have a clue how that works, or is it just a multi-mode driver lost in translation?

It depends on what is their native language, and what they wanted to say :devil:

True stepless means analog. So to me, a true step-less brightness control would be something using an analog rheostat (variable resistor), or some sensor that would give out an analog output based on position of the control ring/dial/etc. - anything less than that, it can't be truly be called "stepless". The light/control in question might have very small steps, and be very smooth in the change, so that it "looks like a stepless system", so who knows. Without knowing how it was implemented, it is hard to tell.

The Surefire T1A Titan seems to be a true (or very close) to a true stepless design.

Will

Last edited:

sucnip

Newly Enlightened
The light in question has a linear hall effect sensor. The sensor goes into a microprocessor's a to d input. Based on the input it adjusts the pwm brightness. The closer the magnet is to the sensor the brighter the light. In reality there are 12 to 20 visible steps between off and full. It's the same design used in the XTAR d01, d02 and d06.

The two cell lights have max current of 1.5 A. The single cell XTAR d06 with an XML has a max current of 2.1A.

OS74

Newly Enlightened
Ok, any positive/negative experience with this light?

I really like the option of fairly stepless dimming.

Could it work as a focus/spotting light for a camera? What colour temperature could one expect from these, I suppose binning may not be very perecis, but as long as it is around 5600K as the strobes it should be all right.

If it is not floody enough a modification with a diffuser might work.

Cheers
/O

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, got the light, and it look verry well made, even tought its a bit bigger and also more heavy than w200

Last edited:

OS74

Newly Enlightened
Hello, any experience comments about this light yet?

I have had mine for quite a while now, but have not had a general-purpose dive yet for which i could take it for an actual test. All dives have been too full of other tasks :).

I have replaced orings on both ends for the head and cap that screws to the body, but not the large one around the glass, would it be necessary to replace that one as well?

I've noticed that the batteries left in the lamp for a while went flat, maybe there is significant current when switched of. Also on low power there's a strobe effect, from the PWM i suppose. This makes me think it may not be ideal as a video light or stills focus light, is that right?

Cheers
/O

SmokedCPU

Newly Enlightened
I ordered 4 PALIGHT BG-QS88, one from DX, 1 mode, and 3 from ebay seller, Hi and strobe modes.
Price are great, construction is solid, and there are two Oring everywhere. Glass is thick.

So since 3-4 months, they all still work well, no leak at all, i did not toutch the Orings.
Construction feel sturdy, and they are heavy and some friends refer to them as clubs.
We only use 18650, since 2 or 3 pairs of 18650 are cheaper than bigger cells.

NEGATIVE point:

One served as backup, and altought its big size on the harness was tolerable, it got ugly rapidly.
The fact is that when the light is not in use, the end-cap is negative, and the rest of light is positive. The body of the light is eated by the mean of accelerated galvanic corrosion everywhere aluminium is exposed; the name is lazer engraved over the anodizing and its currently so eated that i refunded my friend and ordered for him the new trustfire. The head is in good shape, and may become a canister head. I will take some picture and add them to this post soon.

OS74

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I realized that I diverted this thread early on and started to talk about the light that has a "stepless" dimmable output. It is this light that I bought in the end and my question is now if anyone else have practical experience from the dimmable light.

My experience above is thus referring to the dimmable light.

Cheers

OS74

Newly Enlightened
I finally got aoutn testing this dimmable divelight the other day, when a mate's primary light failed.

Strangely enough this light stoped working at about 9m, and didnt work thoughout the dive (28m for 40 min), but on the ascent we tried the light at the 5m stop, and to our surprise it worked again.

How could this light be depth sensitive, or perhaps that was a coincidence?

It is a fairly simple light, and the on/off dimmer is a sliding knob.

Any ideeas from you guys?

/O

The light:
http://www.dykarna.nu/fotoalbum/26682/322170.html

Thanks, I realized that I diverted this thread early on and started to talk about the light that has a "stepless" dimmable output. It is this light that I bought in the end and my question is now if anyone else have practical experience from the dimmable light.

My experience above is thus referring to the dimmable light.

Cheers