Maker Faire NYC build your own flashlight

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
So my fiancee and I went to Flushing, NY yesterday. Make-zine, the DIY magazine hosts a faire called "Maker Faire". Vendors and people with DIY projects can get a table or booth and showcase their work.

I went there interested in seeing 3d printing technology and various versions of it.

Anyway Radioshack sponsored this event and they allowed people to build their own flashlight for free (well you had to pay to get in to the fair so it isnt really free)

It was a simple affair. Small proprietary circuit board, a GIANT 3v LED, battery cage, and a momentary switch. Which all gets installed onto the board and then a quick lesson in basic soldering.

It only takes like 5 mins. Since I suck at soldering, I had a lot of fun. And I got a free 2032 3v coin powered flashlight that I made!!! YAY

dsc0574dl.jpg

dsc0575j.jpg

dsc0579w.jpg

dsc0580ik.jpg

Here is my flashlight. They give you a big piece of heat shrink tubing to wrap the light.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Now that's pretty cool! Only one I ever "made" was a Tektite kit with my Son, 4x5mm soldered to a board, basic assembly. Three AA's if I recall. He's still got it, but uses his V10A more... :) Hopefully he will remember making it with me down the road.