Testing coatings for flashlights ...

wquiles

Flashaholic
We have several threads in this forum about powder coating, anodizing, etc., but few on actual comparing these various finishes, so I decided that since I am testing Moly Resin to replace my powder coating setup, that it would be helpful to others if I post my results as I go along. I will try to keep the thread updated as I add more comparisons, pictures, etc..

My considerations as to what to use are limited (admittedly, self-imposed limitations) since I have small children at home, and don't want to have stuff that is too dangerous, too many steps, various fluids to store in their own containers, etc..

I posted this in the Diving Sub-forum, but I will repost here in its entirety since it is a good way to express how "I" feel about these coatings I am comparing:

In my opinion, for Aluminum, the best is to use no coating/paint, and have the piece processed with HA-III (hard anodized type 3).

The HA-III electro-chemical process "transforms" the external surfaces of the Aluminum, resulting in a new surface that is very tough, very resistant to scratches, salt, and many other chemicals. It is "the" best process for Al, and why companies such as SureFire and others that do military gear always use this process to protect the Aluminun pieces.

However, doing HA-III properly is very dangerous due to the strong chemicals used, and it is not what I would call a "trivial" nor "easy" process to do at home. Note that doing HA-III is "not" the same as those easy to use/apply hard anodizing kits that you can buy on-line => those are only for HA-II, or the "basic" anodizing which is very easy to remove/scratch, and provide little protection.

The next level down in protection for Al are the ones that use a special paint/coating which are baked - the same finishes being used a lot now-a-days for firearms, and firearm parts/accessories. There are various types, and you can find them by their trade names, the more populars being Cerakote, Duracoat, and Moly Resin. Just like with true HA-III, the metal preparation is ultra important, but you "can" do those at home on a small oven, and using mostly an airbrush. These finishes are much, much better than the plain anodizing, but a level down from HA-III (which again, it not a coating - it permanently changes the surface of the Aluminum!).

The next level down in protection comes from Powder Coating, and the basic type II anodizing (basic finish on a factory Mag-lite). Those are much easier to scratch/off or peel off compared to Cerakote, Duracoat, and Moly Resin. I have a full powder coating kit at home, and have tested the surface against basic anodizing and although it is better than the basic anodizing, it is not that much better - you can even dissolve powder coating by wiping it down with an easy to get solvent.

The last thing I will mention is the thickness of each process. The HA-III transforms the outer surface, and increases the size a little - enough to note on threaded parts, so parts that are going to be threaded should not have a very tight fit before HA-III.

Cerakote, Duracoat, and Moly Resin "generally" (depending on how it was applied/sprayed) create a very thin surface, small enough that firearm parts that were fitted prior to these coatings still fit fine after the coating, and this also means no problems on threaded parts.

Powder coating is the worst here - compared to the other processes above, it has by far the thickest coating, and threads have to be completely masked off. Fitted parts will not fit well after powder coating, so your results might vary depending how thick a layer you end up with, which can get even worst once you add a second later for protection [like UV layer] which is commonly added to powder coated parts to increase their resistance to weather and "outside" conditions.

Just my 2 cents worth.

So again, I posted this above several weeks ago, and I am now showing some pictures of my experiments - I hope this is useful.

Here is the "equipment" I am using for applying the Moly Resin:
DSCF6211.JPG

Although a two-stage, which some said were harder to use, I found it actually very easy to use, and easy to control the amount of "paint" being sprayed whether I was covering (need more paint), or touching up an area that did not get enough (need less paint). Very, very nice air brush, and easy to clean afterwards:
DSCF6212.JPG

My practice area - a pizza carton/box:
DSCF6213.JPG

Air pressure was set at the Badger-recommended 30psi. Here the air has been regulated, oil-filtered, and sub-micron filtered before reaching the air brush:
DSCF6214.JPG

The first 3 on the left, have been coated with powder coating. If I recall the black used in the two left-most units was a "textured" finish, which feels very secure in the hand. The orange one is a smooth finish, so it is slippery. The two right-most tubes have been sand blasted to remove the original coating, and are ready to be "treaded":
DSCF6196.JPG

DSCF6197.JPG

DSCF6198.JPG

DSCF6199.JPG

Here I already have applied a "very" thin coating of Moly Resin Flat Black, and I have them curing in my oven (the other pieces are from the Wilton vise I am restoring - that will be a separate post). Again, a very thin coating - I am just getting started to play with it:
DSCF6215.JPG

Once I lightly coated those two tubes, I decided to "torture" the finish on them, but to make it fair (and somewhat scientific) I have a "control" group composed of a light and dark OEM finish on the Mag (Red and Silver):
DSCF6226.JPG

Here are close-ups of the other torture victims "before" the torture begins. Here are the 3 powder coated parts:
DSCF6227.JPG

And the two tubes that have the very light coating of Flat Black Moly Resin:
DSCF6228.JPG

Comparing the bright finish on the OEM parts, to the more "dull" Flat Black Moly Resin:
DSCF6229.JPG

Comparing the 3x powder coated parts (left) with the two Moly Resin parts (right):
DSCF6230.JPG

All parts compared prior to torture. From left to right: OEM red, OEM silver, textured powder coating, textured powder coating, smooth powder coating, Flat Black Moly Resin, and Flat Black Moly Resin):
DSCF6231.JPG

Here is the "Torturator 2000":
DSCF6235.JPG

The media is Rust-Cutting Resin, from Harbor Freight:
DSCF6236.JPG

Here with a D cell for size reference:
DSCF6237.JPG

Here the parts go in for their torture session:
DSCF6238.JPG

And here is a short movie showing the action:
short movie of the Torturator 2000

This media is abrasive, and with the tumbling action is similar to using medium-coarse sand paper - it just basically scratches the surfaces as time goes by. I let the parts in there for about an hour, which I would estimate would be worst than 12 months of use.

Here are the pictures "after" the torture. First the 3x powder coated parts - they came out the worst:
DSCF6240.JPG

DSCF6244.JPG

DSCF6245.JPG

DSCF6248.JPG

DSCF6249.JPG

The Moly Resin parts with the very thin coating faired better - but I need to repeat with a slightly thicker coat next time:
DSCF6242.JPG

DSCF6243.JPG

DSCF6247.JPG

The factory Type II anodizing did really well, but it is hard to photograph, since it just got lots and lots of tiny scratches:
DSCF6251.JPG

DSCF6253.JPG

DSCF6252.JPG

DSCF6255.JPG

Will

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Ready for part #2 of this testing.

I emailed John Norrell (owner of Moly Resin) and he gave me a few tips, so I just coated 3 pieces with Moly Resin again, but this time a little bit thicker, now that I have a little bit more experience with the air brush. These are the pieces before coating. The Silver and Red are just cut-offs, and the blue is a piece where I mess-up the threads (yes, I am human!):
DSCF6436.JPG

DSCF6437.JPG

Here is after the blasting with 70 grit Al Oxide:
DSCF6438.JPG

Then cleaned with Simple Green degreaser, and pre-heated to about 100F as per Moly Resin instructions:
DSCF6440.JPG

Coated parts being baked at about 300-320F:
DSCF6447.JPG

Parts after they have cool off - you can see the small areas inside the tube where the copper hanger touched the body:
DSCF6448.JPG

DSCF6451.JPG

DSCF6452.JPG

Here I am comparing the 3 pieces I just did (left-most 3) with two (right-most) textured powder coated parts:
DSCF6450.JPG

Good to note that now even with the normal/thicker coating of Moly Resin, that I can still freely screw parts together ;)

These are Ceramic-coated parts I got from ElectronGuru (thanks!):
DSCF6453.JPG

DSCF6456.JPG

DSCF6458.JPG

TO BE CONTINUED ...

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time and effort to do that! I really appreciate it when people experiment for the greater good of flashaholism! Please keep us updated! I would love to see how Cerakote fares compared to the Moly Resin and regular anodization! Maybe using different media in your tumblers could be used to simulate different real-world environments - like maybe a tumbler full of house keys! Nice Job! SUBSCRIBED!

Last edited:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
The vibratory tumbler is a really good idea for testing since all samples get the same abrasive action. Good job :)

Agreed. It's great for cleaning too. I use walnut, corn cob, & various abrasive media in mine. Will's looks very similar to mine, you can pick up extra bowls from Harbor Freight, that way you don't have to hassle with changing media. I just swap the bowls & with a couple of star knobs to replace the wing nuts, makes the changes quick.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Will, on these:

DSCF6244.JPG

Is the "white" that you see the aluminum under the powder coating or is it just scratches on the powder coat? I figure the powder coating has to be tougher than that. They still look cool though, like stonewashed. ;)

wquiles

Flashaholic
Is the "white" that you see the aluminum under the powder coating or is it just scratches on the powder coat? I figure the powder coating has to be tougher than that. They still look cool though, like stonewashed. ;)

Something I should have stated earlier, after the tumbler, all parts were rinsed off with plain water from the faucet, and dried off with pressurized air, so the surface was cleaned before I took those "after" pictures.

Back to your question: The white appearance is not the the aluminum under the powder coating - there is still a layer of powder coating left in there. But remember that those black parts had the "textured" finish, so before coating the surface had all of these "rough" little spots all over. The tumbler basically managed to sand off most/all of those "high" points - basically scratched them off, so you still have a powder coating there, but the small "peaks" from the textured finish are flater and reflect light better, looking white.

When you look at the powder coated orange part, which had no small peaks from the textured finish, you can see more "damage" since being smooth allows the abrasive media to attack the whole surface. In the orange part, some of the abrasive media has actually embedded itself in the surface of the part - so from this test, and from my prior experience with testing powder coated parts, to me, the powder coat finish is actually not that tough:
DSCF6245.JPG

DSCF6249.JPG

Another good thing about Moly Resin is just as they state, the added thickness of the finished part does not change much dimensionally. Threading a tailcap on both parts that had the Moly Resin was normal, unlike the Powder Coated parts which would not go together at all. Basically you have Moly Resin at less than 0.001" thickness, compared to Powder Coating at between 0.003-005" - that is a big difference!

I am looking forward to a more normal coat of Moly Resin next time, instead of the very thin coating I used this time.

Will

Last edited:

Klem

Enlightened
Excellent work Will! Very precise an detailed (from Klem in the Dive Section).

A couple of questions...

You are obviously very particular with your painting equipment. Do you think the coating benefits significantly from those air-pressure filters you mentioned; oil filter, sub-micron?

Your choice of air-brush, the badger 360. Would you recommend this for an occassional hobbyist user who wants a good finish.

If I wanted to strip away an old patchy powder coat on an aluminium piece to then use Moly Resin, what is the best method?

I have exactly the same tumbler branded 'Hornady' for polishing up spent firearm cases. I use crushed nut husks and leave it on for 3 hours at a time, however for the damage you want you obviously have sourced the better medium.

Klem

wquiles

Flashaholic
You are obviously very particular with your painting equipment. Do you think the coating benefits significantly from those air-pressure filters you mentioned; oil filter, sub-micron?
For an air paint system, garbage in, garbage out. The better you can filter the incoming air into your paint gun/air brush/whatever, the better your results will be. From what I have read and from advice from Barry here in the forums, this is what I end up with - (everything is 1/2") a high pressure coalescing filter, a high pressure air regulator, and a Motor Guard sub-micron filter:
DSCF5571.JPG

DSCF5572.JPG

DSCF5573.JPG

DSCF5574.JPG

Your choice of air-brush, the badger 360. Would you recommend this for an occassional hobbyist user who wants a good finish.
Yes, after using the Badger 360 for two days, I really like it. But keep in mind choosing an air brush is very subjective, and you can spend a lot of time (like I did) reading about the various air brushes, pros/cons, etc.. Besides all of the reading/researched I also watched many videos on air brushes, and in the end this one seemed the one for me.

If I wanted to strip away an old patchy powder coat on an aluminium piece to then use Moly Resin, what is the best method?
For powder coating, there is chemical stripper available, but it is somewhat expensive:
http://www.powderbuythepound.com/QUICK_STRIP_2000_1_GALLON.html

I have a small sand blasting cabinet, so that is what I use.

I have exactly the same tumbler branded 'Hornady' for polishing up spent firearm cases. I use crushed nut husks and leave it on for 3 hours at a time, however for the damage you want you obviously have sourced the better medium
Next time I will try to use something that is even harder on the finish :D

Will

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to see some actual testing being done. Will be interested to see what else you do. I've read that for various coatings like Cerakote, some versions/colours are stronger than others.

One small quibble though, and I'm very sorry but I have to say this:

those are only for HA-II, or the "basic" anodizing which is very easy to remove/scratch, and provide little protection.

AARGH!!

wquiles

Flashaholic
Very interesting to see these comparisons - many thanks, Will! :)

Great to see some actual testing being done. Will be interested to see what else you do. I've read that for various coatings like Cerakote, some versions/colours are stronger than others.
Thank you guys. I hope to Moly Coat a few more samples, and do the comparison with even a harsher media next time ...

One small quibble though, and I'm very sorry but I have to say this:

AARGH!!

LOL :laughing:

I know, I know, sorry about my slip ... :crazy:

Latest posts