Headlamp for winter commuting.

Schubie

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, first time posting here.

I am planning on biking to school all year and was looking at headlamps as it gets dark early in the winter and I some times have class fairly late.

I have three fenix lamps (LD20, the old PD20, and a LD01).
So as you guessed I loved the company since I got my hands on my first one, so I was looking at the HP10.

Any other recommendations?
Winters in Ottawa can get brutally cold some times, so I was considering the petzl MYO XP Belt instead as I could keep the battery pack in my jacket.

Price point ~100 bucks

Thanks guys.

tundratrader

Enlightened
Lithium batteries are not affected by the cold. That spark looks great. People rave about the Zebra lights. I have always had good luck with plain old AAA petzyl headlamps.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum :D

Princeton Tec Apex Extreme. Make sure you get the 200 lumen version that uses a xp-g.

Lifetime warranty and great runtimes. Uses 4 or 8 AAs in a battery holder that you carry inside your clothing

Lithium batteries are affected by cold, but less than alkaline or NiMH

Last edited:

Schubie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys, I will look into the following recommendations and post back once I take a look into them a bit more/make a decision.

Looks like a very nice light, I will have to see if I can find it at a canadian retailer or see how bad shipping will be.

Would mounting that LD20 in a headband work for your situation?

This is something I have considered, but am worried that I will be going through batteries fairly quickly, I am also considering ways of mounting it to my handlebars.

Welcome to the forum :D

Princeton Tec Apex Extreme. Make sure you get the 200 lumen version that uses a xp-g.

Lifetime warranty and great runtimes. Uses 4 or 8 AAs in a battery holder that you carry inside your clothing

Lithium batteries are affected by cold, but less than alkaline or NiMH

I was looking at the Princeton Tec Apex, not the extreme as I have not seen it anywhere in canada, this is what I was looking at -
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/Lighting/PRD~5023-936/princeton-tec-apex-headlamp.jsp

Thanks for the input guys!

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I'll second the PT-Apex Extreme....Keep the battery Pack inside your clothing.

Just FYI, there is a section of CPF dedicated to bicycle lighting. You should post this question there. Just look under the transportation heading.

Schubie

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the PT-Apex Extreme....Keep the battery Pack inside your clothing.

Just FYI, there is a section of CPF dedicated to bicycle lighting. You should post this question there. Just look under the transportation heading.

Thanks, I have looked at the PT-Apex Extreme and am thinking of going with either that or the Spark ST6 460nw when I get some money.

I have just been holding my LD20 onto my handle bars so far, and lets just say I am glad I haven't had to do it for very long.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have just been holding my LD20 onto my handle bars so far, and lets just say I am glad I haven't had to do it for very long.

You mean holding it with your hands? There are better ways to do that will be much, much safer.

This link shows you how to make a flashlight holder from conduit clamps

http://nordicgroup.us/s78/flashlights.html

Here is picture of a bike, what I want you to look at is how he affixed the flashlight using cross sections of old inner tubes. Cheap and effective.

http://www.carsstink.org/peterson/ZebeFront.jpg

Of course my first ever flashlight mout was just two hose clamps interlocked on each other....simple and secure.