Is G2 Superior to Scorpion?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Educate this Newbie, please; I'm open to new info. The Streamlight Scorpion seems to fill a nich for me. My guess is that the SF-G2 is better. Is it a "hands-down" winner or are they close? Shall I give my wife the "stinger" & upgrade to a G2? Thanks.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
IMHO, most 2x123 flashlights put out the same amount of light. I personally have a LX, G2, and a PM-6.

The LX is a great starter light...less than $20 and come with a set of batteries. Mine has been modified..outside surface cut dowm and currently has a PM-6 reflector installed (brighter hotsopt).

The G2 has a synthetic body which allows easy retreaval from pockets. It has a tail twist switch which on mine has been replaced with a Kroll clickie switch.

I've not handled a PM-6 in its native state...mine came heavly modified...Glass lens, 1w LED, DB400 electronics, and a modified Knoll clickie switch. Reviews of the PM-6 highly rate the reflector and the hot spot it creates.

I had a Scorpion and really liked it. Get the Streamlight holster for it...great holster. The Scorpion come with a spare light in the head. My neagtive is the rubber sheath on the body, makes it hare to get out of a pocket. If I remember correctly, the Scorpion is the smaller of the four mentioned here.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've heard that the Scorpion bulbs burn out pretty fast. Other than that it's a nice light. You should also look at the Pelican PM6. The G2 is plastic bodied instead of metal. Personally I like that, but some others like metal better.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 gives you many more options, is more forgiving about the elements, and the lamp assy. may be replaced with the P61 for Super-duper light output.

Also, the rubber on the Scorpion is sort of like a novelty (other than the grippy feel). It is difficult to get out of your pocket and it does not seal with the head well, so water gets into the head quite easily.

The only thing I see that the Scorpion has on the G2 is slightly smaller size (but not by much).

LightofMine

Newly Enlightened
I have the scorpion and it gives a very nice smooth beam. However, I would not buy another one. I now regret that I did not spend $10.00 more and get the Streamlight TL-2 Xenon. I knew before I ordered the scorpion that the body was encased in rubber but I thought that it was not that big of a deal. It is a big deal because I can't get use to that rubber feel. I was also disappointed that there was no "O" ring under the head.

I will eventually replace the scorpion with the Streamlight TL-2. To keep my flashlight spending under control, I have a self imposed rule that I can buy no more than one flashlight per month. I have already ordered my flashlight for this month, a Streamlight TL-3 Xenon. There are several more lights I want to get before replacing the scorpion. So at just one a month, it will be awhile before I order TL-2.

I will break the one a month rule for Christmas but the lights will be gifts to others, not for myself. I flat refuse to buy a Sure Fire flashlight because I believe they are highly overpriced. The only exception to that is the G2 and it's made of plastic. However, I may buy an E2E Executive for my son-in-law. He knows very little about quality flashlights but he knows I am a flashlight nut. He came to me a few weeks ago and said "Hey listen to this". He started reading me an article in one of his computer magazines about this really neat flashlight. The article turn out to be about the E2E. He thought that it was such a neat light until I thought to myself, ok it will cost me 90 bucks that's what you are getting for Christmas. He seemed to like the light in the article so much I would not dare get him some other light. So the one and only Sure Fire that I will ever buy will be for someone else not myself.

James

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2 an have used a PM6 which out threw my Surefire 9 volt 9P which I sold after comparing them. The focusable hot spot on the PM6 does give off as much total light than comparable surefire lights and out throws them from my experience. The PM6 is the best, low cost option out there I believe, the scorpion is a good choice, being used by PG&E for many years. I haven't seen the tl-3 xenon yet but imagine it is also a very good light but at close to double the price. The bulbs are expensive to replace from surefire and the other manufacturers produce cheaper bulbs.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and can say, get the G2. It's one tough light. I use it more than any of my other incands. The Scorpion is an alright light, but that rubber makes it difficult to deal with. You can't get it in or out of a pocket. The light does also leak readily. Don't use a Scorpion in the rain. Get the G2, you will not regret it.

RevDavid

Enlightened
Go for the G2. It will make a believer out of you. Check the dealer's forum for a great sale on the G2 right now at TW.

By the way... I am one of those people who does not think Surefires are overpriced. I find them to be an excellent value. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif Shhhhh! Don't tell Surefire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

David <><

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer your question yes I believe the G2 is a much better light than the Scorpion.

kubolaw

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LightofMine said:
However, I may buy an E2E Executive for my son-in-law. He knows very little about quality flashlights but he knows I am a flashlight nut. He came to me a few weeks ago and said "Hey listen to this". He started reading me an article in one of his computer magazines about this really neat flashlight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this the latest issue of MaximumPC? They were describing a "computer tool kit" that includes stuff that would be useful when working on your PCs. I almost laughed out loud when I read that they were recommending the E2E for this toolkit. From my perspective, it is just waaaay too bright to be of any use when tinkering inside a PC case. Maybe if you're running Cat5 cable in your attic, but for actually working ON a computer, your son-in-law will be much happier with some kind of LED light (MM, BB, Newbeam, or even an L1).

And so as not to get too off topic here, I don't have a G2, but did have a Scorpion, and like many others, just could not get used to that rubber coating. So between the two, I guess the G2 would be preferable, although the high cost of SF LAs gives me pause.

John

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scorpion bulbs do not burn out quickly. There was a long thread about this a while back which sited actual use by members and not the manufacturer's claims about bulb life.

IMHO it's a toss up between the G2 and Scorpion.

The Scorpion has a spare bulb inside the bezel (not that you'll need it anytime soon), adjustable focus for close-up work, and the clickie tail switch is a bit less prone to accidental activation than the protruding G2 switch.

The G2 may have a little better water resistance due to more prominent O-rings, but water intrusion really has no effect on lithium batteries (per a test by a member who flooded his E2e and turned it on inside a bucket of water - no negative consequences) and the body can take a beating without bending. Scratches don't show since it's the same color throughout and the polymer is more resilliant.

Both work well in cold weather and won't freeze to your hand due to the Scorpion's rubber coating and the G2's polymer body.

I personally like the Scorpion a little better than the G2 because it has such a small form factor in the Streamlight belt sheath designed for it and for the fact that the focus can be changed depending on the distance I'm working at.

The Streamlight Tactical Light 2 (TL-2) and Night Fighter 2 (NF-2) both use the same lamp and pretty much the same reflector assembly as the Scorpion. If you don't like the idea of the rubber body and want greater water resistance, take a look at them (essentially, they're the "Scorpion - version 2".) They don't have a clickie switch - instead they have a tactical type switch which is very hard to activate accidentally.

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened
Scorpion bulbs are much cheaper than SF LAs, and more readily available round here. And converting one to PILAs is very simple. (I'm eagerly awaiting a package from Hong Kong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

BTW, didn't there use to be a G3?

paulr

Flashaholic
"Never will be"? Is there really any way to know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody messed up my SureFire shelf photo link...

[/ QUOTE ]

Al, when you gonna put a new "Surefire Shelf" photo down there? That was pretty cool.

BC

Size15's

Flashaholic
If PK ever releases a G3, next time I see the man I will personally tell him to get on with some real work rather then messing around. That is of course, the G3 is an altogether different animal then the P90 powering model we are assuming.

It is not yet time to show the current shelf.

My personal opinion having handled the Scorpion twice for about 3 minutes each time is that it isn't worth the money. And if I was going to look at the Streamlight TL's then I'd go for the TL-3 because the TL-2 appears to be too larger for it's features for EDC. The TL-3's feature is that it's very bright and throws far (I've not see one to check)

I think the G2 is superior to the Scorpion for many of the reasons already posted.

Al

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, everyone, for your input. I appreciate the time taken to help me with my flashlight fetish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Azreal911

Enlightened
well..... i keep my scorpion in the glove compartment for the longest time as a emeergency light and i keep my G2 with a kl3 attachment as a toy to play with constantly around my beside. hope that helps on telling you which one i like better!

paulr

Flashaholic
Al, why don't you like the idea of a G3? Is something wrong with the P90? Of course a G3 should have a glass lens, but aside from that it seems like a good idea to me.

Latest posts