Ultrafire TH-T60

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to know if anyone uses the Ultrafire TH-T60 (5 mode) for a Bike light (from DX). I have an MTE SSC P7 (also from DX) with the exact same body but it will dim quite suddenly and I'm not sure how to fix it. I really like the floodyness of the beam for bike riding. So now there is the same body but with an XM-L emmiter and I wanted to know if it had the same problems that my MTE has. If not, I'll get it but if it has the same dimming problem then I'll pass. Or, does anyone have a better suggestion for a Bike light? I really like the single 18650 set up and I don't mind multi modes; and my price range is right around the $40 mark.

Kme

Newly Enlightened
Can't provide input as to that fancy light with the XM-L emitter (had to google that just to know what you were referencing) but am also interested in future replies about the TH-T60.
(update: Still no first hand knowledge, but from the additional threads I just read when also researching for the "best light for the buck for a bike" it seems the XM-L is a major upgrade. (if you search CPF you will see loads of positive commentary on how DIY'ers were able to coax lots more lumens out of older model P7s)
However I do have one question for OP - Why 5mode for a bike setup? (especially when a reviewer states you have to cycle thru the modes each time you turn it on)

As for the dimming, you likely know more than I ever would (your observation about the emitter has me impressed :) but if I was guessing (and something you most likely considered) I would say either small heat sink (bad contact) or due to vibration.

Last edited:

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
Kme, thanks for the reply! I personally don't have a problem with cycling (no pun intended) through 5 different modes because it really only takes a second to do. I like having multiple output options, and the strobe is handy if I'm in a high traffic area. I could go without the SOS mode but then I guess it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I work in Security and am on the night shift Bike Patrol. I patrol parking garages, dark alleys and buildings (interior and exterior) so the multi-mode setup is invaluable to me due lighting of each area. Plus, since I don't run the light on high all the time, my battery runtime is extended.

Looks like I'm going to have to take apart the head of my MTE P7. I looked inside it and it has two screws holding in the brass pill and I'm having trouble getting them out. It does look like one of the wires isn't completely shielded because I can see bare wire. Could that be causing the dimming problem?

Kme

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I'm going to have to take apart the head of my MTE P7. I looked inside it and it has two screws holding in the brass pill and I'm having trouble getting them out. It does look like one of the wires isn't completely shielded because I can see bare wire. Could that be causing the dimming problem?
I would only be guessing, hopefully someone with more experience will be able to confirm.
Ps: You should elaborate on the "sudden dimming". Does this happen after a set period of time? (eg: after 30min it "suddenly" dims) Or after it's jostled.

DCP117

Newly Enlightened
About a month after I first got it I would turn it on (no matter what mode either) it would be at normal and then would suddenly dim. Sometimes it would flicker back to normal. Now, as soon as I turn it on, it will be normal for maybe 1 second and then dim. It's like the power just gets cut in half - it's not a gradual dimming, it's instant. I can look at directly at the emitter in medium and low mode - it's that dim. High mode is just a little better. I've changed batteries to no effect. I can turn the light on and leave it stationary and it will still dim. I've never dropped it so I can't imagine that something has been jarred loose. It's weird.