Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 800+ lumen compact light

Unenlightened

Default 800+ lumen compact light

hey guys, I have a Fenix pd31 right now. I love it and use it as my edc, and don't plan on changing that, but i want something a bit more powerful to have as well. I like the compact lights and have been looking at the p-rocket xm-l and the Fenix tk35. Does anyone have any experience with these lights, or is there any others that you recommend? and how much brighter will an 800 lumen light be versus the 300 lumen light i have now? thanks for the help!

Default Re: 800+ lumen compact light

Here are some pictures by selfbuilt of two similar lights with different outputs.

On the left, Lumintop TD-15, pushing ~320 lumens OTF.

On the right, TD-15X, doing ~740.

While doubling the overall lumens does make it quite discernible for the eyes, you also have to consider the overall beam profile as well. Smaller emitters with lower total output have higher luminosity density than larger emitters that are capable of producing higher total output, so lights equipped with smaller emitters tend to have better "throw" compared to ones with larger emitters with similar reflectors and optics.

TL;DR - If you are to have two PD31s, one with XP-G and another with XM-L, side-by-side, the latter will look brighter spill and larger spot while the former will have a dimmer spill and tighter and brighter spot.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by enomosiki View Post

TL;DR - If you are to have two PD31s, one with XP-G and another with XM-L, side-by-side, the latter will look brighter spill and larger spot while the former will have a dimmer spill and tighter and brighter spot.
    okay that makes a lot of sense! i'll definitely make sure i get a light with XM-L. do you have any recommendations of certain lights?

What is the size limit you are looking for?

Keep in mind that, the larger a light is, it will more likely;

A) have larger reflector/optics, meaning higher lux for better "throw", and
    B) beefier heatsinking, allowing you to use the maximum output for longer duration without overheating the emitter and batteries.

Unenlightened

something that is bigger than the pd31, but hopefully not too much bigger than the tk35. although, if i found something i like at a good price, size wouldn't matter too much for me. and the better throw is something that i definitely am looking for, so maybe i'll go for something bigger than what i mentioned above.

TK35 is definitely a good candiate. Any smaller lights will be struggling to deliver that much output.

If you can settle for somewhat lower output, you can shrink the size of the light considerably. Potential lights include EagleTac T20C2 MkII with XM-L High-Output drop-in, ThruNite Scorpion V2 and TN11, and P-Rocket XM-L 850+lm edition. Zebralight SC600 is also to be considered, but it can only take 18650, and not primaries.

I agree with Enomosiki.

An 800+ lumen light smaller than a TK35 will have problems getting rid of the heat, and will also have a very floody beam. 800 lumen in a floodlight will put up a wall of light at close range, but at 30+ meters it quickly loses it's power.

The TK35 has decent throw, making it very useful at longer ranges.

IMHO, I think that TK35 will be a good choice.
    Last edited by Richub; 09-20-2011 at 10:57 PM.
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Richub View Post
    IMHO, I think that TK35 will be a good choice.
    Yeah it seems like all the reviews of the tk35 are good and a lot of people recommend them. Any other high output lights that you recommend, even if they are larger than the tk35?

I also own a Fenix TK45 and TK41.

The TK45 (3x XP-G) is a 760 lumen floodlight, the TK41 (XM-L) is a 800 lumen thrower. Both run on 8 AA Ni-Mh batteries.

There are a load of other 700-800 lumen lights out there but I don't have any experience with those...
    Everybody minds about their make-up, while they should be making their minds up.

My flashlight collection.

Unenlightened

Do you prefer the aa battery powered ones? Is there any noticeable difference between those lights and the cr123a powered lights?

Even the backscatter from an 800 lumen light will be instantly blinding at night. It's almost as bright as a 60 watt bulb. What exactly are you planning to use this for?

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    What exactly are you planning to use this for?
    I plan on using it for outdoor use. I live in a pretty quiet area, so having i'd like to upgrade to a more powerful light with a greater throw.

I recommend a thrunight scorpion v2 with optional turbo head.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbucs726 View Post
    Do you prefer the aa battery powered ones? Is there any noticeable difference between those lights and the cr123a powered lights?
    I stay away from the CR123A battery because the cost locally.

1AA=1.5V. 1CR123A=3V. It takes 2AA=1CR123A at a length of 65 mm longer. A 1*CR123A torch is a lot more pocketable than a 2AA.
    Alkaline AAs do not provide enough current to power up the more powerful emitters. That is why the TK4x series uses 8AA instead of 4 AA. 4AA lights with XML such as the Sunwayman M40 and Zebralight Q50 require Eneloops not Coppertops.

CR123A do not have a lot of energy for lights with more powerful emitters. When combined with the high cost of replacing them results in the more powerful torches using 8AA or 18650 or even 26650 or specialty battery packs.
    CR123A in a P-rocket will last 1/2 as long as in a PD31 and the light output is only 1.5X lumens ~1.2X to your eyes.
    I do not think it worthwhile going from a PD31 to a P-rocket XML. Minimum is an X-thrower XML but your battery runtime is only 1/3 of the PD31.

For 800 lumens You will have to invest in 4 or 8 Eneloops and charger(s) or 18650 and charger.

I have a small torch (Elektrolumens EDC P7) but it ran so hot I have to switch to my Mag after 5 minutes.
    Others have the same problem:
    From
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...umens-P7-18650
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry i h View Post
    ... After 10 minutes, the body became uncomfortably hot (keep in mind that I am in foodservice, and have been know to take pans out of the oven onto the stovetop with bare hands). After 20 minutes, the body temp was so high, that I turned it off for a few minutes because I feared for the Li-ion’s safety. I let it could cool down, because of the high temps to the batts (sadly, I forget to take home the IR thermometer from work, so not sure of temp). Total run time was 45 minutes when I noticed a significant decrease in brightness, at which time I stopped the test.
    Compact and 800 lumens do not go together.
    The Zebralight Q50 will automatically power down from 800 to 500 lumens after a few minutes. The Q50 is not released yet but at 1.3"*1.3"*3.8" is probably the most compact 4AA XML.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Zebralight-Q50
    Last edited by LEDninja; 09-21-2011 at 11:42 AM.

I plan on using it for outdoor use. I live in a pretty quiet area, so having i'd like to upgrade to a more powerful light with a greater throw.
    Get something with multiple modes, then -- possibly one that always starts on Low as well, so you don't accidentally blind yourself by turning it on full-blast when it's pointed at something right in front of you. The latter point depends on how good you are about remembering what mode you last used, but the former is a requirement for a light that bright unless you're intentionally using it for "tactical advantage".

Dereelight makes a 700-lumen 3-mode Cree XM-L drop-in. I have one stuffed into a Surefire clone. It works well; the modes are Hi-Md-Lo, and it remembers which mode I left it on, so I can leave it on Low most of the time and still have near-instant access to High if I need it.

Some of the new 4sevens maelstrom lights look promising. Call Marshall at goinggear.com. They have everything under the sun and give terrific advice.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by LEDninja View Post

Compact and 800 lumens do not go together.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...Zebralight-Q50
    what you're saying makes a lot of sense. I'll get rid of the compact limitation and look for something powerful and overall worth the money. Do you have any experience with the TK35? i hear good things about that light. and how about the Jetbeam BC40? That light has a real nice price with it.

Unenlightened

Get something with multiple modes, then -- possibly one that always starts on Low as well, so you don't accidentally blind yourself by turning it on full-blast when it's pointed at something right in front of you. The latter point depends on how good you are about remembering what mode you last used, but the former is a requirement for a light that bright unless you're intentionally using it for "tactical advantage".
    What about the TK35? its got multiple modes and the memory in it.

Enlightened

P-Rocket 850+ lumens from shiningbeam is my .02 cents to fit the bill.

What about the TK35? its got multiple modes and the memory in it.
    I'm not opposed to buying a monolithic light if its design particularly appeals to me, but when it comes to a light that meets a specific functional purpose, I much prefer modular lights so I can upgrade them easily in the future.

I'm not opposed to buying a monolithic light if its design particularly appeals to me, but when it comes to a light that meets a specific functional purpose, I much prefer modular lights so I can upgrade them easily in the future.
    If he's already got a Surefire tube to drop it into, that's a perfectly usable option. But if he doesn't, then buying a dedicated light like that works pretty well too - and with fewer parts to fall out or lose. That, and he'd be spending at least $120 on the Surefire and then more on the drop-in... only to set the expensive part of the light aside.

The TK35's a good option for semi-compact; it's more compact than some of the lights I can name which put out a similar or greater amount of light (Olight SR 50/51/91/92,Thrunite Catapult V3), uses easier to find batteries than the Maelstrom S12 or S18, and is lighter than the Fenix TK41 or TK50/60 series. That, and the low and medium modes are very usable outside; you don't usually need to go past High if you need a lot of light.

And if I was to recommend a Surefire with 800 lumens with an LED if there was no budget to consider, the UB3T's out there...

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
    And if I was to recommend a Surefire with 800 lumens with an LED if there was no budget to consider, the UB3T's out there...
    yeah i checked out the UB3T and it looks awesome, but too expensive for my taste!

I plan on using it for outdoor use. I live in a pretty quiet area,
    For outdoor use, especially if there is a lot of vegetation a bright cool white LED may not work as well as a neutral tinted LED.

As you can see from the beamshots in the threads below there are other things than sheer brightness that let you see better outdoors.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ke-a-look-here!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...bel-GDP-Nichia
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-vs-Cool-light
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...with-beamshots!)

If you get a Fenix LD40, it may perform better outdoors than the PD31 despite having less lumens. (1. Neutral tint. 2.Bigger reflector for more throw.)
    Most of the other high end brands also carry neutral/warm tints but 4sevens is all sold out.

Unenlightened

For outdoor use, especially if there is a lot of vegetation a bright cool white LED may not work as well as a neutral tinted LED.

As you can see from the beamshots in the threads below there are other things than sheer brightness that let you see better outdoors.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ke-a-look-here!
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...bel-GDP-Nichia
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...-vs-Cool-light
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?308286-A-look-at-the-Zebralight-SC51w-(replete-with-beamshots!)

If you get a Fenix LD40, it may perform better outdoors than the PD31 despite having less lumens. (1. Neutral tint. 2.Bigger reflector for more throw.)
    Most of the other high end brands also carry neutral/warm tints but 4sevens is all sold out.
    Hmm that's something I haven't thought about before. After looking at the two comparisons, the neutral white is definitely nicer outside. Is the TK35 neutral or cool? What about something like the p-rocket XM-L? http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...M-dsh-L/Detail
    Last edited by Bbucs726; 09-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
    P-Rocket 850+ lumens from shiningbeam is my .02 cents to fit the bill.

have you used this light before? does the small size cause the light to get excessively hot at all? and any word on battery life?

Hmm that's something I haven't thought about before. After looking at the two comparisons, the neutral white is definitely nicer outside. Is the TK35 neutral or cool? What about something like the p-rocket XM-L? http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/t...M-dsh-L/Detail
    I think the TK35 only comes in cool, the LD40 in neutral and a few other Fenix torches in both.

The P-rocket comes in both cool and neutral. You seem to have found the neutral version.
    Take the warnings seriously if you do not want a quick death for the P-rocket.
    * Recommend not to run over 15 minutes continuously on high mode when using 2xCR123A
    ** Do not run it with 2xRCR123A rechargeable Li-ion**
    A member tried 2xRCR123A and had to buy a new light.

Unenlightened

The P-rocket comes in both cool and neutral. You seem to have found the neutral version.
    Take the warnings seriously if you do not want a quick death for the P-rocket.
    * Recommend not to run over 15 minutes continuously on high mode when using 2xCR123A
    ** Do not run it with 2xRCR123A rechargeable Li-ion**
    A member tried 2xRCR123A and had to buy a new light.
    Yeah if i do get the P-rocket, i'll definitely follow the recommendations. Do you know why is there no limit when using an 18650 battery?

Enlightened

I've had the TK35 for about 3 weeks now and love it. Solidly built and pretty compact due to the batteries running in parallel. I use AW 18650's at 2900mAh. Good compromise between throw and flood and the strobe has made me dizzy on more than one occasion...

If I were you, I'd SERIOUSLY consider the Fenix TK41 which will seriously throw 800 lumens! To echo the comments here, with current technology, it's tough to get 800 lumens out of anything the size of the PD31, especially without seriously unfavorable heat and runtime issues. I have the TK41's predecessor, the TK40, which has a max output of 630 lumens, and I absolutely LOVE the thing. Incredible throw for a light of it's size! And, I fill it with 8 AA eneloops which I recharge in Titanium Innovations 8-Bay Charger. It's a match made in heaven, and a small and affordable package for what it offers. Just my 2 cents...

If he's already got a Surefire tube to drop it into, that's a perfectly usable option. But if he doesn't, then buying a dedicated light like that works pretty well too - and with fewer parts to fall out or lose. That, and he'd be spending at least $120 on the Surefire and then more on the drop-in... only to set the expensive part of the light aside.
    Last I checked, my Surefires and SF-clones don't require complete disassembly to change the batteries, so I think he's pretty safe against losing parts regardless. But upgradeability is a nice thing to have, hence all the upgrades available for Surefires and SF-clones.

Budgeting is a problem, yes, and the monolithic lights win on that point. Still, if you consider you can do about 2-3 upgrades on a modular light before the standard drifts too far for new parts to fit anymore, AND you don't have whole leftover lights sitting unused in a drawer somewhere, the extra cost for the modular lights becomes easier to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast