A 3D Printer for the CPF community?

Would you make use of a 3D printer if it was available cheaply?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CKOD

Enlightened
I decided a while ago that there wasn't really any call for a community 3D printer. The demand is low enough that you might as well use shapeways for one-offs. I still want to get one myself, but the tech just keeps getting better. Everytime I consider it, another jump seems to happen.

The machine I really want is the titanium printer in the lab down the hall from me. It prints new bones for people.
mmm. direct metal SLS, the good stuff :D

edit: wtf looks like cpf's clock was broken for a while.

Last edited:

ahorton

Enlightened
I'm toying with buying a 3D printer.

More to the point, I'm considering offering a 3D printing service to CPF.

For those that have no idea what I'm talking about, go spend a few hours watching videos on youtube.

It's just an idea right now, but here's what I'm thinking.

Many of you will know me from the aspheric lenses I sell, and my approach here is fairly similar. I wanted a lens of my own design for entirely selfish reasons, so I spent a few thousand dollars and over 3 years you guys have slowly bought my excess so that I broke even. If I don't count the 100 trips to the post office, I like to tell myself that the lenses I have left didn't cost me anything!

Now I want to own a 3D printer for myself, because I'm always wanting to make little brackets, clamps and battery boxes etc (remember I'm more into headlamps and bike lights than regular all-metal flashlights). I'm just wondering how many other people would be interested in getting little bits and pieces made? Is it worth me putting an extra $1000 or so into a better machine if it would pay itself off over a few years?

This is how I reckon it could work (very open to suggestions):

- I buy the printer, spend a while setting it up and start showing off what it can do.

- We agree on a standard format (STL most likely) and you each go download one of the free CAD programs that can export it.

- You design the part you want and send the file to me along with a paypal payment.

- I get the email, have a quick look at it to make sure it's all ok and set it to print.

- I post it to you.

The cost: I'm thinking something $25 per order + $0.1 per gram of plastic. I think that would allow me to slowly pay off and maintain the machine but would still be a bargain for someone who wants a just 4 or 5 little plastic brackets for something. This price would include postage.

What's in it for me?
1. No real financial profit.
2. I get to own a 3D printer. If you don't think that's cool then we can't be friends.
3. I get a copy all the clever and inventive things you guys make.
4. I enjoy contributing something to community that has given me heaps.

I'm asking in this forum because I think that this is where the diy-hackers hang out.
I imagine that this won't interest the guys with CNC mills, but most people aren't in that category.

Let me know what you think.
Show me pictures of what you imagine making.

archimedes

Flashaholic
EDIT: I have purchased many (dozens) of various types of commercial battery holders, but despite having contacting these manufacturers directly, have yet to find one willing to create and provide ones custom-sized for CR2 cells.

To clarify: I have been looking for a storage solution, of any design, for this issue.

Norm, if you know of a source for these - I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Sorry for any misunderstanding :(

Last edited:

ahorton

Enlightened
Yes it'd be ABS or PLA. I imagine that it wouldn't be of much interest to those who are only into flashlights which tend to be machined from metals.

I on the otherhand, like making headlamps and bike-lamps and these things often require battery-boxes, clamps and brackets. These things can be made from plastics and can take me hours to hack together using my current methods.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on the resolution of the printer and the mechanical properties of the result I might be interested in this.

ahorton

Enlightened
The machines I'm looking at can handle layers down to about 0.1mm (but I'd probably mainly work at around 0.3mm). So you end up with something that looks like it's made out of many thin sheets. If you want a perfectly smooth edge, you need to lightly sand it or apply a chemical smoothing agent.

Last edited:

netprince

Enlightened
I would like this service if/when I have some neat idea. I have wanted to do battery holders in the past.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I myself am not interested, but perhaps it would assist your thread if you added a poll, something like "This is something I would desire to use." Just a thought. :)

carrot

Flashaholic
I want you to get a 3d printer because it's the coolest thing ever but I personally have nothing to print.

Rezolution

Newly Enlightened
This seems like a hugely awesome idea. People would be able to have pretty much anything they could imagine made for $25. You might want to consider using the printer to make up "kits" for sale. Something like DIY battery holders where you sell the the plastic wafer ends that hold the batteries in place and then people get their own springs/threaded rods and make up their own custom battery packs.

There are a million uses for that thing, you just have to pitch it better in this thread :)

CUSTOM CUSTOM CUSTOM PARTS!!!!

Rezolution

Newly Enlightened
Non-conductive spacers for all sorts of uses... custom shims for people that need to adjust HID bulbs to get correct focus... custom switch parts... reflector shims for maglites to keep things centered and aligned in mag heads...

Geeze, now I want a 3D printer!

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted for the last option, but it's more of a "yes I will use it for a few components" rather than a "maybe" like the second option or "many parts" like the last.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think I would use it much if ever but I want you to get one!
hehe

Ill contribute by buying some of the cool stuff u make with it ;)

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't be a heavy user, and I'd have to wait and see what this can produce but every now and then I do require the odd bit to be custom made. If this is easier than dealing with some big mob that snub their nose at the little guy then I'd definitely come here first.

ahorton - I know you say Youtube it, but do you have any good videos you are immediately aware of that show the possible size, resolution and ultimately the intricacy of parts you could make? Also how temperature resistant would the resultant parts be? Obviously the flash light applications are immediately obvious, but I would also look at using this for parts in electric motors and they can get pretty toasty...

I voted for the maybe option as well, but that's more from the point of view that I have nothing in mind straight away nor would ever require large mounts of goods. It's just something that I know I would use in the future - whether or not that's good enough for you to pull the trigger or not I'm unsure. Sorry for being a fence sitter lol!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I know you say Youtube it, but do you have any good videos you are immediately aware of that show the possible size, resolution and ultimately the intricacy of parts you could make?

A guy recently brought one on The Colbert Report (American political satire show, on Comedy Central network) and printed out a bunch of copies of the host's head that were roughly baseball sized. Then they put the template on the website so anyone else with access to a printer could print one, and they held a contest to see who could do the most clever alteration to the template. They only briefly showed the "heads", but the claimed sub-millimeter resolution of the print certainly looked correct..

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Googled it...I am aware of Colbert - we get it here in Aus at odd times. I'm impressed. I think 3D printing will work for the odd jobs I may/probably will require in the future.