PDW Danger Zone - for running? [was Planet Bike Superflash Turbo Tail Light]

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Just wondering if any of you bikers have the superflash turbo and how bulky or easy would it be for use to clip onto a vest or something for use during night time runs? It seems to have really good reviews on amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004U5PV5A/?tag=cpf0b6-20 but everyone there has used it for biking and none for running. If I understand the description it does come with a clip attachment so it can be clipped on to something, I am thinking about getting this running vest and clipping it on the back: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044GI7Q0/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Comments?
Other suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited:

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
Re: Planet Bike Superflash Turbo Tail Light - for running?

I have the Planet Bike Superflash for biking and running/walking. It does have a nice clip and can be easily attached to the waist band of your running shorts or affixed to your reflective vest. Safety first.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened

Thanks for the info Excal, I guess I was unsure how heavy it was for use for running since its intended for biking where weight isnt as much an issue.

BrianMc

Enlightened

Bear in mind that the Planet bile Superflash turbo is a very beamy light.
Review here.

It is visible in daylight but not appreciably from the side or higher or lower when you get closer to it. It is plenty light weight enough. Output drops over the run time. I'd recharge every 4-8 hours and that is better for the NiMH cells anyway. They drop less than alkalines so are highly recommended. Running or walking away from a setting sun will light your vest up like it is nuclear, but the light will be very hard to see. Running or walking into the sun put your vest into your shadow, but the Super flash will be bright if you are in it's cone. The PDW DangerZone is a bit less bright on axis but a wider angle of viewing. If you want wide angle output (160 degrees) but in a slightly heavier light (I have two on the helmet so they aren't too bad firing to the side and one Turbo on a pivot to keep it vertical firing straight back). Check post 54 on down on this page.

I totally understand and applaud your desire to be as visible as possible. I am surprised how little low beams light up my construction worker vest and its reflective stripes (you can see that in the videos of the RedZone 4). If you have the video camera that will work in lower light, you might want to video yourself to check how visible you are. The up close can be very misleading as i found out with the old Superflash with 80 hours on the batteries.

Wishing you the best.

BrianMc

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened

DIΩDΣ;3751774 said:
Thanks for the info Excal, I guess I was unsure how heavy it was for use for running since its intended for biking where weight isnt as much an issue.
The Planet Bike Super Flash is very light weight. It is my default rear blinkie for biking. For running/walking, it adds an increased level of conspicuity to inattentive motorists. Here in Hawaii, I am surprised that so many night time runners and walkers go "stealth" rather than wear some reflective vests and/or led blinkies when excercising.

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened

Excal, yeah I've gone stealth a few times but only because I havent picked out what to buy yet for reflective/illumination gear. Even with over 100 lumens on the H51 headlamp pointed right at oncoming cars I have had a few ride the side of the road to right infront of me and swerve suddenly. Vests often reflect several hundred lumens back from the cars own headlights I've read, so definitely getting one of those also.

Brian, I had read that post before, well skimmed at least. Although when I just re read through it and actually watched the vids I think I might consider the PDW DangerZone... not sure if the extra weight is significant or not but $5 cheaper (just because of free s/h on amazon) and I kind of like the strobe pattern better. I'm not too worried about off angle visibility since the roads I run on are straight and narrow, but it couldnt hurt, and I'm sure I'll use it eventually at other places too. The video thing is a good idea and I've done similar things before, but often I'll just have the wife demo it while I get in the car and take a look for myself (video exposure can sometimes be misleading).

Last edited:

richpalm

Banned

I walk the dogs at night and I use an Inova 24/7 in distress flasher mode clipped to the front of my vest at windshield level. I walk on the left (correct) side of the road and oncoming cars slow down every time. I never leave on a walk without it.

Rich

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened

I walk the dogs at night and I use an Inova 24/7 in distress flasher mode clipped to the front of my vest at windshield level. I walk on the left (correct) side of the road and oncoming cars slow down every time. I never leave on a walk without it.

Rich
I hear you brother. My night running has made a transition to more night walking for some aerobic excercise lately when I can't ride the bike. In addition to an Amphipod vest and PBS, I arm myself with my trusty Fenix L1D. I use it to Stobe inattentive motorists. Can you believe some cagers are oblivious even when we are crossing in the crosswalk with the green light and right of way? Stay safe.

Last edited:

BrianMc

Enlightened

DIΩDΣ;3751912 said:
Although when I just re read through it and actually watched the vids I think I might consider the PDW DangerZone... not sure if the extra weight is significant or not but $5 cheaper (just because of free s/h on amazon) and I kind of like the strobe pattern better.

No scale readings, but both my wife and I hefted a Turbo and a Danger Zone, and the DZ is just detectably heavier, both with the same NiMH cells. I concur about the flash pattern. It's irregularity is like the effect you get with twin lights Turbos, Radbots, whatever. Hard to ignore. The pulses are longer lived. The Turbo's are brighter and show a bit farther away, but duration makes the light seem bigger.

DIΩDΣ;3751912 said:
I'm not too worried about off angle visibility since the roads I run on are straight and narrow, but it couldnt hurt, and I'm sure I'll use it eventually at other places too. The video thing is a good idea and I've done similar things before, but often I'll just have the wife demo it while I get in the car and take a look for myself (video exposure can sometimes be misleading).

Running facing traffic means traffic to your back is a lane to your right, so beam width is important. In addition, the lower LED is aimed slightly up the other slightly down, covering the different driver's heights better than the Turbo.

My wife has seen me, but she is not willing to be a model, and my son is away. I agree that video is better at relative comparisons, not absolute appearance. My camera is a bit pessimistic, but knowing that, I can make decisions.

A thrower helmet light and a headband for it could be a good option. You can aim it at the driver if need be.

An oncoming vehicle has a longer exposure to reflected light and the angles are better than a bike rider hunched over the bars. You are also slower running across an intersection so reflective material is the brightest in the headlights longer. Video does understate reflective tape and material.

Hope this helps.

BrianMc

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened

Running facing traffic means traffic to your back is a lane to your right, so beam width is important. In addition, the lower LED is aimed slightly up the other slightly down, covering the different driver's heights better than the Turbo.

Are these lights that narrow angled that one lane over is at the edge of the beam? Thats way tighter than I thought and doesnt seem to be of much use. Although the driver being on the inside of the lane puts them within about 6 foot or so of me, maybe less on ones that dont hug the side of the road. Like I said most these roads here are pretty narrow - they dont even have lines.

BrianMc

Enlightened

If you scroll down on this site and you will see a graphic presentation of the old nearly useless multi 1/4 watt LED light, the old Planet Bike Superflash (or PBSF, I think), and the Red Zone. The light output at the edges are not given so these are depicitions rather than accurate presentations. Yet they show state the issue clearly. Being cones, if the lights are powerful enough, and the Rabot 1000, Turbo, and Danger Zone are, then at some distance, the cone covers two lanes width although brightness drops off as the cone size increases. It means though as the driver gets closer the light gets dimmer as he /she drives out of the cone.

If you would like, I have a stable of these blinkies, and could give you night views at 6-10 feet to the side (remember motorcycles) at whatever distances (not too many). If I use an easel with my reflective vest on it as reference and car headlights on, I can eyeball it. Saves video editing and camera sensitivity issues. The classic PBSFs could be a baseline of 1 on a scale of ten, and the better of my DIY 100 lumen lights or my car's LED brake /tail lights a 10. Alternatively, I could use a light meter to give you radial intensities of the beam at 10 feet from the light. The eyeball method though somewhat subjective, gets to the heart of the matter better.:twothumbs

Let me know. (Don't you wish such safety equipment was evaluated properly in bicycle or running magazines?) I am VERY low budget. :broke: My previous attempts to compare side visibility did not specifically address this aspect, and it is an interesting question.

BrianMc

Savvas

Enlightened

Of course, for the 'deluxe, impossible to miss' approach you can now augment your night time walking and running with the Niteflux red and white lights - the Red Zone 4 and the White Zone 5. Heavier than the PBSF but impossible to miss and they each come with a great clip. http://www.niteflux.com/Products.aspx
Savvas.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

You do have a retroreflective + glow in the dark waist strap? cyalume cyflect pt safety belt
Then you can clip a small led on it. Maybe something like the egear guardian signal

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened

Brain - no need to do any more testing on my behalf, I really do appreciate all the work you have put into video-ing these and posting the clips. I watched several of them again, think I have decided on the Danger Zone. I think it will be wide enough for my mostly straight & narrow roads. By the time someone is close enough and to the side to be out of the angle it would be to late anyway at 55+ mph.

Savvas - that unit looks pretty good nice wide angle and very high output but $100 :eek: That would be more expensive than any light I have ever bought and for just a blinking red safety light. If it was $30 I'd consider it. I also prefer AA/AAA, but not a deal breaker.

Michael - I just purchased a reflective belt/vest but I dont have it yet. Its this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DKSJAG/?tag=cpf0b6-20 only the slightly larger version with an integrated pocket. Those egear gaurdian signals look interesting and inexpensive, if I need to add more lights I could try a couple of those. Would prefer AA/AAA but again not a deal breaker.

BrianMc

Enlightened

If (big if) someone reading this can do the $100 Red Zone 4 or Yellow-white White Zone 5, they are very impressive. A very nice set of selectable flash patterns, and as much power as any current AAA blinky on axis, which they maintain through over 120 degrees of angle side or up and down. Good if you stop and bend to fix a lace or something. Easy to charge. Need to send back to replace pack which will happen in 2-4 years.

For running/cycling, I'd take the Danger Zone as the best of the more affordable solutions I have tested. I don't have a Cateye LD1100, but what videos of it I have seen, it is a wider beamed light, too, and close in power.

As for more videos, thanks for letting me off. However, Pinky downloaded updated firmware and the Drift Innovations Stealth now has more night sensitivity. Was unhappy with my video demo rides of my setup, so it's time to redo. The old NiMH 12 volt pack is in its death spiral of shorter run times and current it can maintain. New pack is on its way to me. When it arrives, I will be able to test 2 and 3 Amp headlight settings. I hope to find a setting that the camera sees as I see the 1.4 amp setting. 3 A may be a good Mountain Bike setting. Nice excuse to get a mountain bike. :) Then I'll be able to do what I do every night. Take over the world. :)

Brain: I even transpose those letters. Could have a worse anagram for my name, I guess.

BrianMc

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened

Update... I did purchase the PDW Danger zone (the price dropped like $5 on amazon the other day, and free shipping so I pulled the trigger). This thing is blinding at any indoor distance! But when adapted to running outdoors it has a few issues. While I knew the beam was tight you just dont really have a concept for it until you see it in person. That would be ok in ideal conditions but the problem I am having is keeping it pointed straight back. It just so happened on the maiden voyage my wife was on her way home and came upon me from behind. She said she could see the light but it was not bright at all and would not have caught her attention hadnt she seen me running already. It was around sunset. As I continued on, until nearly completely dark, I could see the round beam in its entirety hitting the ground about 20 feet behind me. I am sure thats why she didnt think it was bright, she was outside the hotspot from her angle. If I pulled the straps tighter by hand and leaned forward a bit I could see the hotspot rise up to the edge of the horizon, probably perfect, but not really feasible for running. Ok the strap I dont mind being a little tight but even with that I still need to lean a bit more than normal to pitch it up. I have it clipped vertically onto the 'Y' part in the middle of my back (of my amphipod zinglet) and this was the best spot I could find at the time.

I'll continue to fiddle with it, and try some different mounting spots and see if I can get this thing to point straight back.

Everything else about this light is great. Just got to get it mounted right for jogging.

BrianMc

Enlightened

Try a pad of the 'small bubble' bubble pack (very light) rolled or folded thick enough to act as a wedge, taped under where the bottom of the light pivots down, or under the straps, whatever works to increase the angle of the dangle. This is the one advantage of a wide angle light like the Red Zone 4. Just hang it and forget it. Just tried it on a front wheel in the day clipped to the valve stem, and it is amazing, especially at the highest on steady setting (1/4 the high flash setting).

BrianMc

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened

Thats a very good idea! If the 'roll' was a bit wider than the light it might help it from bouncing around left/right as much too. I'll give it a try next time I am out. I did try just about every place on my vest and shorts I could clip it to last night in the dark, and couldnt get any place that naturally angles it right, so a 'wedge' might be the only solution. Well I had the thought of maybe my headband too but didnt think about it until after I was done so thats still a possibility. When I find something that works I'll report back and with some pics maybe.