Eneloop Camcorder Battery?

flight777

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I have an older professional camcorder I just purchased that uses a NiCd 12volt battery called an NP-1B. NP-1B's were typically rated 2200mAh. Unfortunately, these are no longer made. There are NiMh replacements available on eBay, etc. but they are pretty spendy and so are the chargers.

I'm wondering if I could just build a 10-cell Eneloop pack that would work? The current drain on the camera is about 1.5 amps, which translated into about 90 min of operating time on an NP-1B.

Is this a safe drain rate for Eneloops and is this a reasonable idea?
thinking.gif

Thanks!

David
Flight777

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,

I have an older professional camcorder I just purchased that uses a NiCd 12volt battery called an NP-1B. NP-1B's were typically rated 2200mAh. Unfortunately, these are no longer made. There are NiMh replacements available on eBay, etc. but they are pretty spendy and so are the chargers.

I'm wondering if I could just build a 10-cell Eneloop pack that would work? The current drain on the camera is about 1.5 amps, which translated into about 90 min of operating time on an NP-1B.

Is this a safe drain rate for Eneloops and is this a reasonable idea?
thinking.gif

Thanks!

David
Flight777

That is a safe drain on eneloops; they are happy even at a "2C" discharge (Twice their capacity). For 2000 mAh eneloops, that's 4A draw. The charger may not be super friendly to them, but I think that such a pack would last about as long as the original. Soldering tabs on your batteries might be tricky, you maybe should order them pre-tabbed.