32" or 36" Flat Screen/Conventional (not plasma)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
32\" or 36\" Flat Screen/Conventional (not plasma)

Looking for a new telly...we are watching a 27" now. The size difference between the 32" and the 36" is VERY noticeable!!

Is the flat screen worth the extra money?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: 32

Yes! Are you talking about the glass being curved or flat? Because then it is. It's like the difference between a traditional CRT monitor and a Trinitron style monitor. People swear by their Trinitrons.

iddibhai

Enlightened

sony's patent on trinitron expired recently, so others are coming up using the same technology, good price competition.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Yep, I'm talkin' about the "flat" glass. The lack of glare is certainly noticeable when compared to the "curved" glass...

So you are indeed saying spend the extra bucks?

iddibhai

Enlightened

by all means. go for quality not quantity. whatever models you have in mind, look them up on google web and groups, epinions, a/v review sites etc. then find a dealer that has them go see them side by side (easy to tell picture difference). and get the better quality screen even if it smaller since it will be easy on the eyes if you watch it every day. good luck! me i dont watch tv much if at all so i don't know what's good or not on the market but google is your friend!

Tomas

Banned
Re: 32 or 36 inch Flat Screen/Conventional TV

Absolutely you want the flat screen in one of the better brands (I'd recommend Toshiba and Sony).

Even my little 20 inch 'bedroom TV' with built in DVD player is a Toshiba flatscreen.

The difference is subtle, because our minds have become used to making allowances for wildly curved screens when watching TV, but once you finally get used to a flat screen, you can readily see the distortion in the curved.

Heheheh, in fact at first, your 'flat screen' will seem to your mind to be concave, because your mind will still be doing all the calculations to correct for the normal curved screens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

T_sig6.gif

hula

Newly Enlightened
Re: 32 or 36 inch Flat Screen/Conventional TV

It's interesting to note that you have favoured a CRT over a Plasma or LCD is it because like me you have yet ( one exception apart ) to find a screen that has the clarity of a 'normal' television. Or are they still ( and I agree ) a little too pricey?
The one exception I did see was a Pioneer plasma showing a DVD at a show but I never found out which particular one.
I hear good things about the Panasonic plasma televisions and I'm keeping an eye on the prices which seem to be dropping as they become more popular. I have bad memories about lugging my Philips 29" 4:3 up the two flights of stairs so I can only imagine the weight of a large 36" wide screen, funny that weight considerations should come to mind when choosing a replacement TV.
BTW I'd consider a flat screen as superior it just takes a little getting used to after a curve. Get the 36" you'll soon think that's quite small - in time.

Hula.