new m*gcharger question ...

arioch

Enlightened
Hello, all:

Does anyone out there own one of the 'new' m*gcharger lights? I have been reading about the increase in cp from 30k to 40k; knowing how cp ratings tend to work, I am wondering if there is a visually noticeable increase in output.
confused.gif

If there is an increase in light output, does anyone know the reason for the difference? Is it a new reflector? New battery? New circuit design?

I own an older m*gcharger, and want to know if I can upgrade on the cheap by getting a reflector or battery. I was never happy with the beam pattern of this light(super bright, but splotchy and spread out on tightest focus), and might get a new reflector if it improves the beam focus and brightness.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a new bulb. The filament is shorter overall so it allows for tigher focus. And tigher focus increases the cp. As for run time, I am not sure, neither about power consumption. So... hope I have answered your questions. You should be able to just pop in the new bulb in your old torch.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
I just placed these new bulbs in my 15 year old *agcharger, and like Nerd said, it does focus a little tighter, but I can't notice a real gain in output. Still has a crappy beam pattern though.

Place some Write Right on the lens, this helped smooth mine just a little. I would love to see someone come out with an aftermarket textured reflector to replace the stock one.

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
flashlightlens,

Hmmmm, interesting. That's something I have never considered, but it actually would probably be about the same result of using some type of Write Right. I'd rather see a textured reflector, and a Borofloat or UCL replacement, but it can't hurt to try.

Are you proposing that this is something you have/willing to experiment with? I'd buy one to try if you have/make it. Do your 52.1mm lenses fit the *agcharger? I assume so, but haven't measured mine versus my lens in my 3D *ag.

-Chris

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure the M#gcharger uses the same lens as the non-rechargeable - anyone else have any info on this? I've just always assumed it was the same. I'd go on their site to see if they had any info, but it's down........

I'm thinking of adding the frost option on all of my lenses.

Chris

saunterer

Newly Enlightened
I just got back from unmentionable.com, and can't find where the lens is XX mm in diameter, but the head diameter for the "D" series is 57mm and the charger head diameter is 58.72mm. Should work I guess. I'll try to measure them tonight unless someone chimes in.

Get a frosty one available, and I'll get one. Will these be Borofloat or UCL, or both?

-Chris

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag Charger lens is not the same. The Mag charger has a glass lens and it does not fit in a D-cell Mag.

nihraguk

Enlightened
bead blasting the lens would smoothen out the beam, but it would also reduce the light output by a bit. a textured reflector would smooth out the beam without reducing the light output
smile.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
yup...the normal mags have plastic reflectors but the magcharger's reflector is aluminium cos the bulb gets hot enough to deform the plastic reflectors.

bart:
i think after bead-blasting the reflector and polishing it, you'll end up with a smooth reflector which doesn't reflect all the light, so you'll basically get a ringy beam with reduced light output...this is hypothetical though, so don't take my word for it
smile.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Velcro:
The M*gCharger reflector is aluminum and it's lens fits the C and D cell lights (or so some say).

Greetings,
Velcro
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well then I got ripped off b/c I am looking at mine and it is plastic.
smile.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag C and D lights come with plastic lenses. Mag sells an untempered glass replacement lens as well as plastic replacement lenses.

Mag Charger comes with a tempered glass lens. Mag told me the two glass lenses were not interchangeable. I asked Bright Guy to see if the M/C lense fit the Mag C's and D's, and they experimented and reported that they did. I bought a bunch of the M/C lenses and placed them in my mag C's and D's. If I didn't already have these acceptable M/C lenses, I would buy coated 52.5 mm UCL's from Flashlightlens.com

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bad, I pulled the reflector back out to take a closer look. It is a plastic housing with a very thin aluminum reflector embedded in it.
smile.gif