75W/55W/35W HID Flashlight in Ebay

stollman

Enlightened
Just surfing the net to see what cheap HIDs are being sold out there and ran across a 75W HID light. A few curious things, though. It looks exactly like another light on Ebay with a rating of 65W/55W/45W...Hmmm? Also the 75W version is being sold with two different size batteries...a 7800 mAH and a 6600 mAH depending on which posting you look at. The 65W version of this light is being sold with a 6600 mAH battery. Seems fishy to me. Looks like you can picked one up shipped for $175.00 USD. The 75W & the 65W lights are idenditcal fram an appearance and dimension point of view. Anybody buy one of these lights yet?

Stollman

subiya

Newly Enlightened
There's nothing fishy about this at all. Funny thing to say.
I've got the SSK-10 and love it. I also bought it with the 7800 battery.
I considered the 75 but given that theoretically there would be only marginally more light decided to go for a little better run time.:thumbsup:
If the quote below is correct You could buy a spare bulb and ballast and swap them out as you see fit.

As an aside I went out last night and deliberately walked around with the torch on high beam for about 15-20 min to see how blistering hot the torch would get and when I turned it off it was pleasantly warm to touch at worst. (Not the glass obviously, but all the body) Evel penetration into the water.
Cheers

Hi Colonel,

2. The model No. is SSK-20S which is the 75W HID flashlight with SOS flashing.

7. The appearance is the same with SSK-10, only the bulb with the ballast is different.
8. Available both in Black and Silver.

PS these are a practical beam light not a long distance thrower so it depends on what you want. you can see some of my pictures down near the bottom here

Last edited:

stollman

Enlightened
Subiya,

How would you describe the color of the light using a kelvin scale. I prefer a "white" color versus a cooler "blue".

subiya

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, got no idea, this is all new to me, getting a better lux meter next week but would say it's a good white light bearing in mind I quite like the cooler blue.

5500-6000

See Rule #3 Do not Hot Link images - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6000K HIDs on ebay appear warmer in colour than most big output/thrower LED lights. In the pictures you can quite clearly see that the LED lights are cooler in K than the 6000K HIDs especially in dense foliage. Many of the 6000K HID owners say the colour K appears around 5000K.

Check out the pics in these threads:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?309971-My-First-HID-65W-45W-Xeccon-from-Ebay

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...attle-in-the-woods-XML-King-of-Throw-vs.-HIDs

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-XECCON-SSK-33-HA-HID-35W-28W-Mod-to-a-Shorty!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ondotech-3152-35W-4200K-Sanmak-5200-55W-5000K

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?313988-XECCON-20-28-35W-HID

Last edited:

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Hi Stollman, Subiya is right and both 65w or 75w is great value for money and can never go wrong. I myself have a 65w (SSK-10) from Xeccon & their support is great. Myself had some issues with the reflector and they ship me a new set after a while.

Sales Link Removed - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took the plunge and ordered a 3mode 75w HID with a 7800mah battery. First and foremost I hope I don't receive a DOA or any "monday morning specials", because shipping it back to the seller is not worth the exercise! Secondly, it would be interesting to see how a 6000K 75w with 3 inch reflector fare against a 4300K 35w with a 4 inch reflector in real world performances.

BVH

Flashaholic
If those power numbers are true and measured at the bulb, there will be a very significant difference. The 35 Watt, 4300K will pale in comparison.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 65w(not the BRIGHTER 75w) has been measured at 4668lumens(ANSI) OTF by a CPF member. Using the same equipment, he has measured a Fenix TK70 at 2200 lumens OTF. As a bonus, the 6000K 65w HID had a visually warmer tint than the XM-Ls on the TK70. I got a sinking feeling that my beloved L35 is gonna be relegated to second best in my collection once the 75w HID shows up next week.

Enlightened
Hi Fusion,

Just did this a while ago...

TK70 - 218 OTF (out the front). Sustainable for quite a while. 2200L ANSI

DRY triple XM-L direct drive, Sky Ray SR3800 drive drive - 250 OTF after 5 seconds, and very slowly sliding down

Ebay 65W with about 5300k bulb - 389 OTF (3" reflector) (takes at least 5 mins to slowly warm up to this level, initial about 330 only after 20 seconds). Aluminum mirror (whatever that means) has a theorectical max reflectivity of 91%, i learnt this from Discovery channel on a show "World's Toughest Fixes" on a repair job on one of the world's biggest telescope on Mauna Kea on Hawaii called the Keck telescope (there are 2 of them). I think with the reflector which is not great it would reflect like say 82%? The lens takes away 7%. So prob about 5100 lumens at the bulb. I have another copy of the 65W and it's 362 OTF. I am not sure if you are talking about me, but if we apply 1.2 x 389 it would be about 4600L. :)

Amondotech 3152 (6" reflector) 55W ballast measured at 58W input (not to the bulb) and the same 35W 4300k bulb which was provided with the light back in 2006 by bro mtbkndad who sold a few batches i think (Philips?) - 380 OTF.
We can back calculate. Take 85% for reflector and 7% for glass. So 3800L OTF would be 4600L at the bulb. 58W to the ballast means 46W to the bulb (take 80% eff). So that's 100 lumens per watt.

-Sanmak SM5200 with 100W ballast (measured 98W in) with 55W 4300k bulb - 545 OTF This bulb is deformed though, and this is a Chinese bulb purchased from an aliexpress vendor. 5400L OTF = 6600L at the bulb.
98W input means 78W to the bulb. So that is 84W/lm efficacy.
-Changed out to the 100W bulb (it states 100W, not 75W, but same white ceramic base), got 660 OTF. WOW! :D That's approx 6600 lumens OTF from just a 12V 5.5AH SLA. As expected the longer arc length increases efficiency somewhat.
- Used a 7AH battery to power. Got 681 OTF.
- Used 2 x 7AH @ 24V to power, got 718 OTF.

I think with correct wattage bulbs it would be brighter. But less throw due to longer arc length.

Last edited:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey 2100:

just a few Q's: do the ballasts on your 65w HIDs constantly buzz while the light is switched on? Compared to my L35, the 75w HID ballast creates quite a loud buzzing sound, I hope this is normal. Secondly, do your 65w HIDs flicker a little the first 1-2mins on start start up? Mine does, but so does my car's HID headlights, my mechanic told me this is normal for HID lights. Apart from those niggles, very happy with the 75w you recommended. It is significantly brighter than my L35 and it has a nice "neutral" tint that is not blueish at all and makes the 4300K L35 look very incandescent. The 75w HID's tint doesn't seem to hamper outdoor usage the CRI is still good. I guess if it gets really rainy and foggy, the included 3000K lens filter will come in handy.

Enlightened
Bro,
Hehe....all my ballasts buzz including the automotive ones. Some louder than others. I am suspecting that it is trying to draw somewhat more current than usual (high power), ballasts do that when it is fed the lower end of the operating voltage range (cells will sag more and more with higher power drawn), and sounds coarser. In fact I just found out last night that the 5.5AH SLA when drained past 70% full provides somewhat insufficient current to the 100W ballast and output suffers a bit, it is evident on the lux meter. It still operates, however. But no worries, those lights are my fun lights, not going to do anywhere 1hr burn time. (the reflector will prob smoke)

If I have the time, i will try 2 x 7AH SLA and use some thick cables to run to the light's terminals, and see what happens with the lux meter. And use my 75/100W bulbs.

Yeah, HIDs do flicker sometimes, but once or twice only. Ohh...so it has a nice neutral tint and CRI seems excellent, that's good. I am thinking if i should upgrade to 75W, the ballast is not that expensive.....umm...but i am trying to cut down on spending lah.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
2100:

Cut down spending in this hobby?! It's useless, just ask anyone here on the forum. Tonight after running the 75w for about 30mins+ I discovered a hazy deposit spread all over the polished reflector. Its thin enough not to be seen when the light is off, but when its switched on the reflector becomes milky, not shiny. Is the HID bulb, ballast or battery leaking some kind of vapour that is depositing on the reflector? I know better than to use a polishing wheel to try and get it off, should I just get a new reflector? Where can I get a spare reflector? Any idea how much the reflector will cost?

Enlightened
Changed out to the 100W bulb (it states 100W, not 75W, but same white ceramic base), got 660 OTF. WOW! :D That's approx 6600 lumens OTF from just a 12V 5.5AH SLA. As expected the longer arc length increases efficiency somewhat.

Fusion, I think while running in it's better to leave the glass off? Try it and see what happens. I have run my Ebay HIDs for quite a while like at least 20-30hrs during that time when i was testing the runtime (we were disccussing with ma_Sha and some other guys about the ballast and current draw etc). No milky residue on the reflector but i did take out the front/reflector and cooled the light with a fan. Now when i use it even for quite a while, no issue.

You can email your aliexpress seller for maybe 3-4 spare reflectors? Make it worth his while, i am sure it's doable. Use registered air mail, it's slow but it'll get there.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
My new Xeccon 75w HID coming in soon this week. Will get some beam shots soon.

image.tiff

Enlightened
My new Xeccon 75w HID coming in soon this week. Will get some beam shots soon.

image.tiff
Time to meetup again. LOL! We can do measurements. That time when we met up I did not bring the 65W Ebay.

I wonder what will happen if we go to the high-class place of One Marina Boulevard, by the Bay/beside The Sail, to shine around.... Near your office and my office too (just 2 MRT stops away)
Will the police intervene?

mknewman

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the 65 watt versions and love it! It's big, but well balanced, and stunningly bright. There is some adjustability in the beam by twisting the bezel and I've got it dialed into a small spot at about 25 ft (maybe 4") and it makes an amazing beam in the fog. My only complaint is the weight and I've considered getting one of the smaller ones (24/35 watt). I've also looked at upgrading the bulb to the 75w version and the battery from 6600 to 7800 mah. Really amazing performance for the buck.