headlamp advice for camping/hiking

bronqo

Newly Enlightened
dear all,

a few years ago i lurked this forum for a headlamp and found my actual best friend headlamp (a princeton tec 1w led 3xAAA). i'd like to get me another headlamp now, and looking around for the news on the market.

please note that i am in italy: petzl is the only well distributed brand in shops, but i can mail order for other brands.

i see there are some new forum-favourites (zebralight, spark). but before pointing to one of them i'd like to have an advice from you. my new headlamp should have these characteristics:

- very light weight and compact
- shock and water resistant
- batteries should be AA or AAA (1 or 2 batteries)
- i use NIMH rechargeables
- white light (i don't need red lights etc...)
- long battery life

yet, i can compromise on ultra-brightness (it should be sufficient to see a walkpath at night or read in a tent).
i don't like separate battery packs and i like simple headstraps.
i'm not into spending a lot of $$$, since postage expenses would raise my total investment quite a bit, starting price should be under $100 (under 50 would be better though)

thank you for any advice....

ryguy24000

Enlightened
My vote is for the Spark ST5.

I just got back from a 4 week long hunting trip and I am very impressed with my Spark! I only used 2 batteries (14500 Lion) the whole time. I used the low levels mainly occasionally ramping to the high modes. I used it every day for duties around camp like cooking, reading, and organizing gear ect. I also used it for accessing or returning from hunting areas by foot or mountain bike in the early morning.

It is a super light weight, bright, durable head lamp with all the features that I need for extended back country duty.

As some side note here I also had a small hand held 4sevens Quark that got use as my thrower.:)

bronqo

Newly Enlightened
thank you for your advice ryguy,

what i don't like much in the sparks is the T-shape, i'd prefer a more "rectangular" design... what about princeton tec's remix or byte models? are there any compettors to them with better specs and similar design?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you for your advice ryguy,

what i don't like much in the sparks is the T-shape, i'd prefer a more "rectangular" design... what about princeton tec's remix or byte models? are there any compettors to them with better specs and similar design?

From what you described, a ZL light is your best bet. Most headlamps end up in storage until that occasional camping/hiking/caving trip. If you want a headlamp you can put in the pocket and use everyday and everywhere, consider a ZL light. Imagine the power goes out when you are at work, in an office meeting, classroom, church, etc. You can go on doing whatever you are doing because you have a hand-free ZL light with you. I should know because it happened to me twice already. No need to go back home or to the car to get your headlamp.

Headlamps don't get more practical and convenient than this.
IMG_6709.jpg

Last edited:

bronqo

Newly Enlightened
i was expecting a ZL advice ;)
i see that H51 come in 4 different color temperatures (normal, neutral white, 85 cri and red) and also have regular/flood option, which leads to 8 models to choose from.

excluding the red ones, what would you say to be the best buy for walking/jogging at night?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was expecting a ZL advice ;)
i see that H51 come in 4 different color temperatures (normal, neutral white, 85 cri and red) and also have regular/flood option, which leads to 8 models to choose from.

excluding the red ones, what would you say to be the best buy for walking/jogging at night?

The H51F with a Velcro headband should work.

Last edited: