Securing the Driver?

Southpawtact

Newly Enlightened
A friend and I are currently in the design stage of building a custom flashlight. He works in a machine shop and we have all the materials we'll need.

There's just one thing I can't figure out. How do you modders secure driver boards in the bottom of heatsinks or pills?

I've seen some examples where it's just soldered to the heatsink. Would that be the correct attachment method?

Thanks

JacobJones

Enlightened
I usually glue mine in with arctic alumina thermal epoxy, Drivers produce heat and some need to be heatsinked. The solder you usually see holds the driver in and also is part of the circuit, you see that the solder covers the gold outer ring on the back of drivers, that gold ring is for battery minus. Hope this helps

moderator007

Enlightened
You can cut out a small copper or brass sleeve to press fit the hole in the bottom of the heat sink. Making the center hole fit the drivers outside dimension. Then solder the board to that or you can simple epoxy it in as suggested by jacobjones.

jason 77

Enlightened
How about something like this, what would be a good way of securing the driver to the heatsink while still having a good electrical connection from the negative of the board to the heat sink?

IMG_6444.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

Last edited:

moderator007

Enlightened
You could use a thin piece of tin or copper and solder it to the outside ring on the board and bend it at a 90 down towards the pill. When installed it will take some pressure to get it down but will make good contact. I have also cut a small groove in the side of the board and run a small copper single strand wire down the groove. Soldering it to the outside ring and bent at a 90 down inside the pill. Letting the wire just barely pretrude from the driver diameter. This works if the fit is already very tight.