led heat burn?

lc-150

Newly Enlightened
I have being doing some research here about new flashlights, specially those with high lm outputs but in some pictures they show capable of starting a fire!

Im trying to put to my bike a flashight as a headlight as you did, but im worried about burning my partner in the front bike lol, is these heat a normal thing on high outputs led?

I was thinking on XML LED's what you think? I think they are new, pretty good output and with a good reliability, will these start a fire?

Thanks, nice forum!

Imon

Enlightened
If you're talking about the reflector directing heat at someone, no, I wouldn't worry about that. On the other hand the body of the flashlight might get a little toasty if you allow it to run too long too high.

Even with incans you have to put it up close to the item you want to burn, usually a wadded up ball of newspaper, and let it irradiate the item for a minute.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led's project very little heat energy, it's mostly light. Incans are the firestarters as 90% of their energy is wasted as heat. I suppose if you could concentrate the light from say 10 xm-l's at full blast into a tiny point in front of the flashlight then maybe it might start a fire but a 10 xm-l flashlight would pose less of a fire hazard and more of a blinding hazard as far as bicycle lights are concerned.