The Fenix-Store
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: High CRI Nichia 119 Haiku is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD!!

Default Re: High CRI Nichia 119 Haiku is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD!!

So I've had my High CRI Haiku for a couple weeks now and I too feel that it is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD! It's such a treat to have such high quality light from an LED. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, you get used to mentally "shifting" things when viewing them with a typical LED, but then when you experience a high CRI LED and you don't have to do that anymore . . . well, it's a revelation. This isn't the first time this has happened to me, of course. Back when I switched my EDC from an LED to an incan (E2 at first, then A2) I had the same feeling, but I also definitely regretted having to go to a 2x123 light with a 1 hour runtime to get the high quality light. And, truth be told, incans are such a low CCT compared to these new high CRI LED's (Nichia 119 and 083), that the quality of light from the 119 or 083 is a definite step up from an incan, even an over-driven one. I am just LOVING the beam from this Haiku! Not just the quality of the light, but the quality of the beam--and I also like the distribution--it's got a nice tight center hotspot and really good throw. Don't get me wrong! I love the flood-style beam of the SunDrop, too, but for my EDC I want throw. And the High CRI Haiku freaking delivers!.

And then, of course, there is all the amazing stuff one can say about the Haiku in general, no matter what the emitter. What a light! It feels so good in the hand, and the 3S UI is also astonishingly good--something I certainly did not expect, to say the least. After only a couple weeks switching levels is second nature and entirely intuitive and very simple. I can switch to the level I want in like a second. And I never have inadvertent level switches. Just . . . really great!

So, I definitely have to add my vote for the idea that the High CRI Nichia 119 Haiku is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD!! It certainly is!
    -Jim Sexton, creator of the M6-R, the TigerLight Upgrades, Fixture-ring lamp potting, the SL60, co-designer of the B90 Upgrade, and proponent of the SF A2, the SF M6 X-LOLA, Titanium, the Haiku, and the LunaSol 20

I presently have a Haiku 119 on loan from Kaichu Dento, a real classy dude. I have to admit, the tint and CRI on this baby is really lovely. Very nice clean white beam, and excellent color rendering. I am quite impressed!

I am in a bit of a quandry though. I feel like I'd like to add a McGizmo to the collection with this emitter while I still can, but I don't know if I want to pick up another Haiku or maybe a SunDrop XR-U. I like the Haiku 119 but I don't know if my EDC needs are better served with that emitter than the extra lumens and floodier beam of the XP-G Haiku I carry. I quite like the XP-G. So maybe a SD would be nice for the times when I am working on something where I want the better color rendering. I already have a Mule XM-L so having the three differerent beam styles might be nice for any potential task I have. Also, with that setup there is a lot of switching LEs that could be done. Either XP-G or Nichia in the Haiku host, and either of those or the XM-L, all three, could go in either the SD or Mule, based on what I find I like the best.

I like the idea of having all three and being able to mix n match a little to find what I like. I will probably sell my extra EN Mule with neutral XP-G to help fund a different McGizmo, just not sure which one yet. What do you guys think?

I will take your EN mule.

And study the xru beam pattern. You will notice a significant beam change as you go from either the xpg/119 to the large xml. I personally do not like the xml in the sundrop xru. The beam is great near center...but when you are used to the 119 where the edges are a well defined ring (albeit slightly brighter), the change in both width and definition of the edge can be distracting for beam perfectionists.

I guess what I am saying is you might not find the three engines equal there.

Second, if your Haiku is cut for the xpg, you won't be swapping in the xml there either as you should already be aware?

The most likely scenario is you will leave the 119 in the XRU and that is indeed a nice mule...probably nicer that the XML mule in my opinion.

Unless you run a true neutral xml...at high current, I see little gain there from the smaller dies. I own eight mule variations with ten different engines...so I have developed a rather in depth opinion on the matter. The 119 is still the king until you drive an XML at +2A where the gain in output is significant. With the added collimation of the XRU, the 119 does really well...and even in your mule head you might find yourself quite surprised how more than adequate it is.

Mules rule...and the XRU is in my opinion just a mule with glasses. A nerd mule if you will?

It is just too bad the lens of the XRU is not aspheric as this would all but remove the outer beam ring. The cost of custom sapphire aspheres is likely more than the rest of the light!?

obi
    Last edited by Obijuan Kenobe; 05-10-2012 at 11:35 PM.
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Thanks for the thoughts obi!

Yes I imagine the most likely setup is the Haiku and Mule to stay as is, and the SD to house the 119. You seem quite fond of the XRU, and Mules in general. I love the Mule, and the thought of slightly higher lux while maintaining the generally even beam that the SD offers is very appealing. I feel that it makes more sense to try one of those anyways, than get another Haiku, especially when the Haiku I have can house the 119 if I want. I know the original SD with 083B seems to be the most loved variant, but do you feel the XRU with 119 provides very good quality light as well?

Also, are you really interested in my other Mule? I can send a PM tomorrow sometime if you are with a bit of info about the light.

As I stated, I'll take your EN mule for sure, unless we can't agree on details somehow. Just PM me and we'll work it out.

I think the 119 is very nice in the SD-XRU. Given that the SD-XRU spherical lens is what it is, the quality of light is superb. I don't think much can be done to improve the resulting beam without using a super tiny LED (I have first hand knowledge with the XPG, 119, XML). The artifacts on the outside of the beam only come into play on white walls with the 119. I can't say the same with the larger XML die. The spherical beam essentially focuses the light more at the steeper angles near the edges of the lens, causing the increase in brightness near the edge. While it has been stated elsewhere that this really doesn't matter during use (like outdoors or under an automobile), it is a noticeably different pattern than with the smaller dies. The XPG also does very well in the SD-XRU relative to the XML in this regard.

The 119 SD-XRU is probably at least 50% (total guesstimate) brighter than the 119 mule, and it could be even more? For sure in a side by side comparison with a mule, the difference would be more than apparent. The reason I enjoy these 'nerd mules' is that while the mule produces a smooth beam, it is very rare that the full angle spread is fully utilized. Therefore, if you are thinking you need a disk of light, the XRU gives you that in spades with the added lux. I think if I was to recommend a light for close inspection, the XRU rises above the mule in this regard. If you want to photograph an area, then more care would be necessary to position an XRU at the right distance so that the bright outer ring would not affect your subject. This is where the mule is again superior, as the entire spread is uniform (as you know).

One thing to also consider is that if you like the XML mule...I wonder if you have noticed the tint shift near the edges? The 119 will exhibit almost none of this. It is really superior in this regard (even the XPG is better in this way).

The original SD uses the same lens as far as I understand, and it is only that the LED is pressed closer to the glass that minimizes the artifacts. I also want to mention that I have never had an 083b LED in hand, but have heard multiple times from Don that it has the highest quality light he's run across, albeit at that notably lower output.

The XRU reminds me of a theater spot light. Finally, I would mention that at very close distances, the XRU artifacts are minimized and much much harder to detect. That's why I think as a close up inspection light (for medical stuff, or inside a computer) it is just supreme.

I do think you will like it...and I do not think I need to convince you of that. From what I have read in your posts, you are capable of selling yourself on this for sure.

obi

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

I actually prefer the CRI Sundrop over the Mule for the simple reason that there is more usable light for my purposes. Yes, I love the Mule (I think it is one of the best looking lights ever.) but I always found myself saying, "I wish it had more power". Then arrived the Sundrop! I had discovered more power! I found that I very much prefer the sundrop for most of my needs, which are mainly photography. Now I Just need an awesome clip with that adapter hole for the tripod hold . . . . I had the CRI in my Sundrop changed to a warmer CRI -. I very much prefer the coloring of the CRI in the Mac lights. So a friend found a CRI that is nearly if not exactly the same, and transplanted it to the Sundrop. Now the Sundrop is perfect for my eyes. Yes, the rings around the edge are quite apparent, but I have gotten to a place where I don't even notice them. (which is good because it was making me NUTZ - I'm ocd like that!) The results in the pics I've taken are amazing. I rarely use anything but the sundrop for lighting needs. I'd love to find cheap hosts and get about 4 more of them and illuminate my office with Sundrops rather than the lamps that are in there!
    Those are my thoughts on the Sundrop. The Mule is a wonderful light too! I always found myself wanting more with it though.
    Good luck with your decisions!
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Where the heck is everyone?!?! I need some McGizmo talk.

Well, one of my Mules leaves me later today, freeing up some funds toward a new McG. I am eager to try the SunDrop head that has kindly been sent to me for some experimenting. If I like it, I'll have to send Don another email soon.

Flashaholic*

It is due to threads like this that I decided I would bite the bullet and get into McGizmos. I have lurked for years, but not able to rationalize the perceived premium for these lights. I say perceived on purpose.

Recently, I sold a whole bunch of lights that I accumulated over the last year and just bought one to replace them - the Haiku High CRI. I now have a Makai on the way too. I made a pact with my spouse, that I would no longer have packages constantly coming in the door with this light or that light, but instead just pick 2 or 3 that will really suit all of my needs and stick with them as long as I can.

Initially, I was disappointed with the Haiku. I think my expectations were in the stratosphere. I was looking at white walls, ceilings, pieces of paper. I was finding "imperfections" and the body feeling too "busy" for me. Once the obsessive compulsive inspection phase was over (lasted about 1 week), I just started carrying the light and using it. Last night, the spell was broken. I took it out for a walk. OMG. It was perfect. Shining it on natural stuff outside was wonderful. In actual use for what I use lights for, the light IS perfect. The feeling in the hand, the mode switching (which I am still getting used to) and the beam profile - saying nothing of the CRI and CCT. I love the sapphire lens - I hate scratches in lenses - won't be an issue here.

It truly is astonishingly good. I have been "into" lights for about 4 or 5 years now and wish I had just jumped straight to McGizmo. Mind you, I guess I would not have the appreciation for them that I do now if I had not gone through the process.

And I have to say, I love titanium. What a wonderful material for this application.

One last thing, Don is the best guy to deal with in the industry. I have not dealt with everybody (Gene Malkoff being one notable exception), but Don is great and very accommodating. I wish I had his patience.

eala

Yess! Another Haiku convert!

eala...very well written. Yes HCRI Haiku is a great great light! Now if Don were to put out a Nichia 219 Haiku, I will order another one in a heartbeat!
    WTB --> any vintage, cross-hair logo Surefire, SW01 tailcap; Ku's SWM V-series 18500 tubes; PM me if you have a SPY007 XM-L2 SWGG for trade!

Flashaholic

I got into McGizmo lights about 3 months ago after buying a few other lights, first (Muyshondt Aeon, Lumapower Incendio, Maratac AA stainless, etc). I also wish I had gone straight for the McGizmos. They're amazing. I am traveling in Asia, have been in China, Tibet, and now Nepal since beginning of March. I am carrying a Sundrop XRU, a Haiku, a Mule and a Sapphire with me. I am astonished at how useful the Mule is. I switch back and forth between the XML and the High CRI LE in the Mule and Sundrop. I actually can't decide which configuration I prefer, there are pluses for both. I use them one way, then switch for a week, then switch back. I find the high CRI Mule is most useful here in Nepal for indoor light. The electricity is out for about 16 hours every day, the Mule provides such useful light. Outdoors, the Sundrop XRU w/ XML LE in it or the Haiku are fantastic. I couldn't be happier with the lights. Even the Sapphire is amazing. I use it every night as a bathroom light, it's still going strong on the original AAA batt I put in it. The tint of the Sapphire's light is also reminiscent of the Mule, it just puts outs considerably less light. Perfect for finding the bathroom in the middle of the night without waking up my wife.

I bought a small Sebenza Insingo and these McGizmos just before we left Canada for Asia. I use all of them every day. They are amazingly well-built tools.

Quote Originally Posted by eala View Post

It truly is astonishingly good. I have been "into" lights for about 4 or 5 years now and wish I had just jumped straight to McGizmo. Mind you, I guess I would not have the appreciation for them that I do now if I had not gone through the process.

And I have to say, I love titanium. What a wonderful material for this application.

One last thing, Don is the best guy to deal with in the industry. I have not dealt with everybody (Gene Malkoff being one notable exception), but Don is great and very accommodating. I wish I had his patience.

eala
    "Welcome Home", eala! You are correct - it's good to explore options to help understand the quality that is a McGizmo! And Gene Malkoff is fabulous to deal with also - very telling that Gene and Don have a business relationship...

Quote Originally Posted by Silgt View Post
    eala...very well written. Yes HCRI Haiku is a great great light! Now if Don were to put out a Nichia 219 Haiku, I will order another one in a heartbeat!
    +1 +2 +3!

Quote Originally Posted by persco View Post
    I

I bought a small Sebenza Insingo and these McGizmos just before we left Canada for Asia. I use all of them every day. They are amazingly well-built tools.
    Amazingly well built TOOLS, indeed. Thank you for your thoughts - and with 16 hours or so of 'no power' per day, your appreciation of their utility is derived from much more than simple admiration! Congrats on your superb choices.
    Last edited by run4jc; 05-15-2012 at 04:35 AM.

I had a high-cri Haiku, and parted with it. I've been edc'ing an xpg version for better than two years, but find myself swapping back and forth with the 119 LE from my Mule more and more... As much as I love that emitter in the Mule, it's just so sweet in the Haiku. A beautiful beam, and the color rendering is fantastic.

That CRI Haiku is a funny lil light isn't it? It grows on you, the more you use it, the more you "get it".
    -PSM

Hmmmmm. I am testing out this SunDrop with a hi cri XP-G in it, very very kindly loaned to me by another member, and I'm just not sure about the SD beam. I wanted so badly to love the SD, but I'm not feeling the love. I am used to a good beam from the Haiku and a beautifully smooth flood from the Mule, and that bright ring on the SD makes me a little batty. I don't know if the slightly increased lux makes up for the beam aberrations. I love the idea of the SD, and think it's awesome in it's uniqueness, but I think I still prefer the Mule for flood. I'm glad I was able to try before buy.

I'm back to thinking I may just get another Haiku with the 119!

Either that or I order an XM-L Haiku with no LE, and a 119 engine with it, and put the XM-L from my Mule in the new Haiku and the 119 in the Mule. Then with those plus my other XP-G Haiku I can use any of the three engines in either a Haiku or the Mule. But I suspect the XM-L and XP-G Haikus are similar enough that it doesn't warrant having both setups. Or I trade the XM-L engine for another 119 and have hi cri Haiku/Mule pair and an XP-G Haiku.....

The possibilities are endless and I'm driving myself nuts.

See...I done told ya.

But the 119 is smaller...and better in the XRU. Still got the ring, though.

obi

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I wanted so badly to love the SD, but I'm not feeling the love. I am used to a good beam from the Haiku and a beautifully smooth flood from the Mule, and that bright ring on the SD makes me a little batty.
    That was how I felt when I got both my 3S Sundrop and XR-E Haiku - just couldn't love them, and the biggest surprise for me was the narrowness of the SD's beam. When I got my Mule I immediately realized that it was what I should have bought, instead of the SD.

Relax and think about it more before making a decision - mostly sounds like your driving yourself nuts with the range of possibilities, but as you've noted previously, bases are pretty well covered and if it takes the rest of the summer to decide, you may end up happier than if you try to hurry into a purchase right now.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    That CRI Haiku is a funny lil light isn't it? It grows on you, the more you use it, the more you "get it".
    Totally agree with this statement. My closest comparison light is a Mac's Custom XML, but that light is more like high powered jewellery. The Haiku is more like a tool. Jewellery looks great, but I need tools.

eala

I am contemplating to get my first McGizmo. Can't make up my mind if I should go with the High CRI or XM-L Haiku. Anywhere I can check out both beam shot.
    Last edited by BenChiew; 02-23-2013 at 04:58 AM.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...am-Comparisons

The animated photos here compare the small-die Haikus to the large-die Haiku. The small-die emitter used in the comparison is the XP-G, but the beam is comparable to the Nichia 119. Just knock off about a third of the brightness to get a more accurate comparison. The XM-L basically turns the Haiku into a directional floodlight.

The 119 Haiku is very nice but using it in an urban setting where you get plenty of ambient lighting, I feel it could do with a little more juice. Resulting me using it in high mode most of the time.

Default High CRI Nichia 119 Haiku is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD!!

I had my 119 Haiku's light engine removed, why is there a small o-ring inside the base of the reflector?
    What is the function of that o-ring?
    I do not recall seeing an 0-ring in the xpg and XML Haikus.

Don mentions it in the XPG thread - it is a seal between the emitter and the opening in the reflector. It IS a part of the Haiku XPG - I don't know about the XML...

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    I had my 119 Haiku's light engine removed, why is there a small o-ring inside the base of the reflector?
    What is the function of that o-ring?
    I do not recall seeing an 0-ring in the xpg and XML Haikus.

Yes the McR17 XR reflector for the xml has a 1x5 mm o-ring too. Not sure of the o-ring size for the McR17 XP used with the 119 and xpg but it does have one also.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Default High CRI Nichia 119 Haiku is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD!!

Thanks you all. I need to have another look at the xpg and XML haikus.

Received my 119 LE today and right into my Haiku it went. I forgot how lovely and pure white the beam is with this emitter. Now I am set to have either the 119 or the XP-G in either the Mule or Haiku based on needs. For now I'm rolling with the 119 in the Haiku for EDC. It's just so darn nice!

Received my 119 LE today and right into my Haiku it went. I forgot how lovely and pure white the beam is with this emitter. Now I am set to have either the 119 or the XP-G in either the Mule or Haiku based on needs. For now I'm rolling with the 119 in the Haiku for EDC. It's just so darn nice!

Enlightenment has come upon thee. Congrats!
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

I had one of these for a short time in the past, but had traded it. Glad to have one back! I also put the AA Pak on so it's like a whole new light!

My absolutely favorite work-tint, and a close second for everything else too.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast