Olympia Products
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Did You Use Your McGizmo For Today?

Default What Did You Use Your McGizmo For Today?

A McGizmo flavored version of the popular "What Did You Use Your Flashlight For Today?" thread from ninemm.

Many of us EDC our McGizmos. Tell us what you used yours for today. It could be fun for us, and probably cool for Don to see his tools in real life action. Don, your comments, as always, are welcome-feel free to tell us what you did with YOUR McGizmos too.

The only rule is that you must have USED it to post the story. You cannot post that you stared at it, admired it, polished it, photographed it, fondled it etc. It must have been used for a real illumination task. No shelf queens here.

I'll start:
    Tonight I used my Mule XM-L to find some drums for laboratory equipment waste-stream in the warehouse at work after the warehouse people were gone and had shut off the lights. Who needs overhead lights anyways? The floody Mule was great for this close up work. Nice.

And GO!

Default Re: What Did You Use Your McGizmo For Today?

Too many things to mention!!

I help manage my parents campground and do everything from maintenance 8-9 months out of the year, to "security" at night during the summer.

I've worked on peoples trailers with it, used it to guide them to sites at night, checking for any unexpected activity in the storage area at night, etc.

It is a Ti-PD S that has been on my belt since I received it new in Sept. '08, and while I have others that I play with around the yard at night and occasionally carry I can't see anything replacing this as my EDC for a good long time.

Flashaholic

My Haiku High CRI comes with me on nightly dog walks. I also used it this week while re-wiring a boat battery.
    I also open letters and cut up apples with my custom tactical folder. I need to go do something interesting to write about. My life is pretty boring.

I like this thread, hope it keeps going. I would like to request that when possible pictures would be great. Love the pics! Like Don's Hawaii turtle pics! Again I am realizing how boring I am.

I use my XRU every day to position fluorescent tissue under my microscope as the room is blacked out. I use it to adjust, realign, and reset the laser control system as well.

There hasn't been a day in a long time that I haven't used it at work.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Just got my Sapphire yesterday. It was in the mail box all last week. So, my first impressions, with a fresh battery, in the daylight was. Ho hum.
    Well, once it got dark, I was impressed.
    Was bright enough to find the dog "presents" she left on her walk, and also a middle of the night run for me to hit the medicine cabinet to get some Cold Meds.
    It is in my pocket today

OK,
    I'll play too. (yesterday)

I used a SunDrop that I keep by the computer to see the flashcard slot when I processed some images. I used a sapphire that is always on me to illuminate where I was walking when I took the trash can down to the curb. I used a dedicated Mule out by my outdoor shower to illuminate my ugly mug when I shaved last night. I used my Haiku to check on a noise I heard in the bushes as well as see how many zebra doves were spending the night in a tree. (I use the spill portion on medium so as not to bother them).

On a related note, I have good friends (they are a "couple") who I gifted sapphires to last year. They are on the mainland at the moment and I got an e-mail from her the other day catching up and she mentioned that both she and John regretted not taking their flashlights with them as they have both noticed and commented that there have been many times they wished they had had them. Funny. You actually get in any habit of using a flashlight and then you realize that it is kind of useful!
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Used my 3s Sundrop-engined Aleph McClicky Mule to keep an eye on some in-the-dark barbecue a little bit ago. I use my Weber year-round, shoveling a path to it if necessary.

I used mine to light things up.

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    Funny. You actually get in any habit of using a flashlight and then you realize that it is kind of useful!
    Something about it's dark 12 hours a day, or longer if you're in an unlit building...

I got called out on a red signal last night at 2130. Worked until 0200 looking for a "needle in the haystack" shorting out a 3 mile block of railroad signals. I ended up finding a piece of steel on a insulated gauge plate shorting the track. It was about the size of a pin head. Burned through 1 RCR and 2 primaries trouble shooting.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Welcome back Jason, haven't seen you in a bit.

Keep it coming guys, this is good stuff. Don, thank you for joining as well.

Fyrstormer---

Quote Originally Posted by JWRitchie76 View Post
    I got called out on a red signal last night at 2130. Worked until 0200 looking for a "needle in the haystack" shorting out a 3 mile block of railroad signals. I ended up finding a piece of steel on a insulated gauge plate shorting the track. It was about the size of a pin head. Burned through 1 RCR and 2 primaries trouble shooting.
    Seems like it would be easier to run a self-powered car down the track first, with stiff brushes to scrub the rails clean, and then re-test before making people inspect the track visually for hours on end.

Cool story though. Definitely proves Gizmos can withstand continuous long-term use.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Fyrstormer---
    I'm not kidding. I don't generally have any need to use mine for work or nighttime hobbies, so I pretty much just light things up as I pass them on the sidewalk on my evening walks. Saved me from stepping on more than one frog.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 09-28-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Seems like it would be easier to run a self-powered car down the track first, with stiff brushes to scrub the rails clean, and then re-test before making people inspect the track visually for hours on end.

Cool story though. Definitely proves Gizmos can withstand continuous long-term use.
    Well..... I really wish it were that easy sometimes. I mean I do have a hi-rail maintenance pickup truck. Unfortunately there are a million other variables involved with railroad signal operation and track structure that makes it a little more complex than that.
    Lux Ex Tenebris

-My Lights

Quote Originally Posted by JWRitchie76 View Post
    Well..... I really wish it were that easy sometimes. I mean I do have a hi-rail maintenance pickup truck. Unfortunately there are a million other variables involved with railroad signal operation and track structure that makes it a little more complex than that.
    Well, that's what you get for being an expert -- you know all the reasons why the simple solutions won't work. I hope you've learned your lesson.

Used my Haiku to check the fluid level on the waste bottle coming off the HPLC in our lab. It's a hassle when I let it overflow.

Used my Mule to poke around inside my PC case and check for loose wires. Nothing was loose, so I am thinking the "no boot device" messages mean my HD is dead. Not good.

Earlier this morning, I used my Mule PD to light my face while trimming my goatee. I just didn't want to switch on the lights at the dressing table as my wife and 2 daughters looked soo peaceful sleeping. Since the Mule PD have very large beam pattern, I tailstand the light and had both my hands free for the works.
    SF M6-R85 M3 G2D FYL G2ZL E1L McGizmo HA PD-S Ti Mule-PD BB Haiku-XP-G Inova X1
    (My Collection)

My PD-S illuminated the chain wheel of my Electra last night. The chain on my Townie fell off while riding home on PCH. Later, I used a LS27 to walk the dogs around the neighborhood.

-Mayo

If your Townie has an internal gear hub and therefore doesn't have an external derailleur, consider getting a Surly Singleator or a Shimano Alfine Chain Tensioner. They bolt to the rear derailleur mount, and they provide chain tension and alignment to keep the chain from jumping off the rear sprocket.

Used my Mule to light up my buddy's basement via ceiling bounce as we got ready to watch a movie so he didn't trip over furniture. He was pretty happy, he narrowly avoided an incident with a vacuum cleaner, lol.

Flashaholic

Used my Haiku XM-L as a temporary Pumpkin Test Light

Awesome!

My dad borrowed my shotgun to go trap shooting with a friend, and went through a box or two of shells. So today my Haiku helped me disassemble and clean it all out, and put a bit of oil on it and in it. We (Haiku and I) are having some difficulty getting it back together for some reason though. Oh well, we'll do it later.

Flashaholic*

Used my Haiku high CRI at the range tonight for qualifications and several of our tactical shoots. Not surprisingly I had the only McGizmo there tonight. The beam and color rendition of the Haiku was very noticeable among the typical police type lights.
    Chris

Not only do I use my McGizmos CONSTANTLY around the shop (looking in dark places, checking setups for light getting through, a zillion other things), but so does everyone else. I am now "the guy with the flashlight". You'd think it would inspire other people to carry a light, but alas, no. Go figure.

The funny thing is these people take my LunaSol-27 with barely a thought and have no freaking idea what they are holding!!
    Trees don't grow on money either.

Souptree- your last line really struck a chord with me... I'll use my Haiku around work all the time, and occasionally a co-worker will ask to borrow it, having no idea they're holding a custom $450.00 flashlight... I kinda like that.

nystrpr- coincidence that you have 911 posts. Cool!

I ain't got no stink'n McGizmo

Morn

Chop chop Normie! Get one fast, before they're all gone! Then use it for something!

I was wondering what I could post here but I will give it a go. It did not happen today as what was required of the thread title, but I will still play.

Was out over the weekend doing my usual trekking and camping trips but this is the first time I have my high CRI Haiku and Mule along. I was amazed at how well it performed out in the field and how well the Nichia 119T high CRI brought out the colors and contrasts of nature. I am happy with cool white in such a scenario, but I am even happier with my high CRI McGizmos. I am glad I specifically bought these high CRI lights for the very purpose of my outdoor trips. The XM-L Haiku is for my daily EDC around urban areas and I left it at home during this trip. I have posted a few beam shots of my trip here. It is photo intensive so those with slow bandwidth be warned.
    The love of light is the reason why I don't walk in darkness. But darkness has it's beauty...Sadly, my lights are much more beautiful!!
    Beam shots Night Trekking with HDS high CRI and McGizmo Haiku & Mule high CRI

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by pjandyho View Post
    beam shots of my trip here. It is photo intensive so those with slow bandwidth be warned.
    This is the thread that I have been waiting for. Great shots. You should have hyped it up a little more. Maybe repost it on its own in the McGizmo forum.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast