Maglite ML125 Review

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new ML125 is the latest release from Maglite with the Cree XP-G LED. It can take either a 6.0V 2500mAh NiMH rechargeable pack, or 3 C-cell batteries. The user interface is user-programmable from four function sets, and includes an option for momentary.

ML125_Runtime.png

Here's the link to my review: Maglite ML125 Review on LED-Resource.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Function Set 3: Momentary, Full Power, Power Save.

If momentary is enabled, the switch must be pressed twice for Full Power.

Meaning that when you've selected the third function set (the only set without a blinky mode), you have to flash through momentary, high, then off, then again for low, or only three total presses for low? Either way that works. I just really hope they somehow manage to keep the mini pro simple as promised, as well as the LED Solitaire.

Anyway this one looks nice, thanks for the review.

Last edited:

Csp203

Newly Enlightened
193 lumens for 25 hrs on 3 c alkaline batteries. That is crazy. I have read somewhere that after a big disaster all the AA and D batteries are the first to go, leaving the C batteries on the shelfs.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember that it's ANSI runtime, meaning that at 25 hours, you'll be dropping below 10%. Output gradually declines during that time due to the nature of alkaline discharge. The output on NiMH will be more consistent, but shorter.

Meaning that when you've selected the third function set (the only set without a blinky mode), you have to flash through momentary, high, then off, then again for low, or only three total presses for low? Either way that works. I just really hope they somehow manage to keep the mini pro simple as promised, as well as the LED Solitaire.
It's an electronic switch, so three presses total to get to the third mode. Turning on and off is only needed with mechanical switches.

Here's what happens when you click three times in function set 3: high (first click), off, high (second click), low (third click). You'll cycle through each mode.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime test has been completed, but I might run another test with Eneloop AA's. Step-down to 75% after 12 minutes on NiMH, step-down to 50% after 12 minutes on alkalines. However, I don't see any real reason to use alkalines with this light. ;)

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I didn't already have one or two MagLites I could well be tempted. Personally think this seems like a highly usable and durable chunky torch. Not pocket friendly, but then it's not meant to be.

Only real Q is, isn't 2500 mAh a tad low for a modern NiMh cell?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not three C-cells, the NiMH pack is 6V and consists of five 3/5-C cells (supposedly, LSD). LSD C-cells are only 3000-5000mAh, so the NiMH pack still has more power (15Wh).

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Does the ML125 exhibit a duty cycle behavior when using the 6V NiMH battery?
e.g. turning it off then on again after a short rest returns the light to ~full output (ala XL200 runtime test you did)

Last edited:

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Yes, it's back to 100% after a power cycle (no break is needed).

Nice! :thumbsup:
That really is a sensible way to extend runtime...and I used to write off Mag's "Intelligent Energy Source Management" as packaging buzzwords.
Now they just need to get that Mini Mag Pro on store shelves (and to you, so you can review it)!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here, never really knew what it meant until I put the XL200 to the light meter. 75% is pretty decent, as is 50% on the ML100, but 25% on the XL50 is a little bit too aggressive. It's interesting how the ML125 goes to 75% on the 6V NiMH but 50% on 3C.

tjh434

Banned
Nice thorough review, thanks.

For the size and weight of this thing though, the output is uninspiring.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Same here, never really knew what it meant until I put the XL200 to the light meter. 75% is pretty decent, as is 50% on the ML100, but 25% on the XL50 is a little bit too aggressive. It's interesting how the ML125 goes to 75% on the 6V NiMH but 50% on 3C.

Agreed, the reduction to 25% seems a little excessive especially after only 5 minutes. I saw the runtime graph and alkalines kept pace with the rechargeables till the end.

As for the ML125, do you know the ID of the head/bezel? I'm trying to find a suitable UCL to use in mine.

No fancy equipment for measuring widths around here...only got a ruler...

Edit- D'oh, I'll just measure the window. What can I say, I'm on holiday break.
:whistle:

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice review. It is good to see Maglite moving forward with new designs. This looks like a great light for law enforcement, security, and search and rescue. 180+ lumens OTF for that long is great. It is funny at how so many of us forget that is a lot of light for a flashlight. I have some extremely bright LED flashlights and also HID spotlights and I can say that 180 lumens OTF is plenty of light for most things.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody tested with pair of 3100mAh 18650 ?
If driver tolerate little extra voltage (7.4 vs 6 volt), brightness will remain longer at 70% and run time will be about 7~8 hours.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Has anybody tested with pair of 3100mAh 18650 ?
If driver tolerate little extra voltage (7.4 vs 6 volt), brightness will remain longer at 70% and run time will be about 7~8 hours.

Since the 5-cell NiMH stick should be near 7+ volts hot off the charger, 2x18650 IMR/LiCo may (?) be feasible. I recall that someone confirmed their cut down (originally 2 cells) ML100 handles 1x18650 with no fuss. LiFePO4 cells might be a good alternative as they'd narrowly exceed designed voltage. This 26650 LiFePO4 may fit the battery tube. For the advertised capacity two of them would store ~21Wh versus 15Wh for the stock battery.

Last edited:

cobracon

Newly Enlightened
Nice! How do u think this compares to a regular maglite with one of those drop in conversions? on both output and value?

StudFreeman

Enlightened
Hey there cobra! I've had mine for about 6 weeks and it's been a great all around performer. Our Jack Russel likes to go outside often, so I accompany her at night because the coyotes come out after dusk. This Mag sees at least 20 minutes of use every night. I really like the beam profile: a big fat hotspot and good spill. For comparison, its beam technically does not reach out quite as far as the very throw-y 2 or 3D LED Mag (which have a very deep reflector that produces a super tight hotspot). However, the ML125 is brighter overall and will illuminate more of a given downrange area with close to the same apparent intensity as its bigger D-size cousins. Basically, it puts out a well-balanced beam that is pleasant in real world use. Furthermore, the light's UI is customizable and the switch is slick as anything. I keep mine on function set 3: Momentary, High, Low. I hope Mag incorporates a function set that starts with Low-momentary in the future. I'd also like to see a similar UI adapted for the XL series lights too.

To answer your original question: if you have rechargeable D-cells you may be better served by the 2D or 3D Maglites (the ones with Cree XP-E emitters). As for drop-ins meant for incandescent D-size Maglites, Gene Malkoff's company (MalkoffDevices) sells a quality, made-in-America drop-in that is a great performer (its cost is in between that of a new 2/3D LED Mag and the ML125). Personally, the ML125 is the one that suited my requirement for a flexible outdoor flashlight with a long runtime. The fact that I could use the ML125 with 3 alkaline C cells or some AA's rolled up in cardboard in an emergency is reassuring.

Last edited: