Mag-Tac LED new from Mag-Lite...

nzo012

Newly Enlightened
I just saw an ad in a magazine for the new MAG-TAC led light from Mag Instruments. It advertises 250 Lumens, run time of 4.5 hours and uses 2 CR132's. It said it is available in Urban Gray, Coyote Tan, Foliage Green and black. It actually didn't look too bad, it had a grenade style grip with a crenelated bezel.

First I've heard of it and I can't find a thing on it doing a Google search.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be very uncharacteristic for them to do that...do you have a scan of it? I'm thinking that it might not be Maglite.

nzo012

Newly Enlightened
Mag-TAC1.jpg

hwc

Newly Enlightened
I'll be darned. That's a CR123 version of the XL200 in a utility tube instead of the pretty XL finishes.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
The "XL" family has morphed. So, they going to take on Surefire?

They need to make sure that a single 18650 works. If it doesn't, they just lost most of this forum.

They trademark'd "Mag-Tac" last summer.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
They need to make sure that a single 18650 works. If it doesn't, they just lost most of this forum.

And what about the fact that 'most' of this forum happily use CR123's? There are enough battery debates on here that it should be obvious there is still no real 'leader' in terms of chemistries

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope they are not forgetting where they came from and won't discontinue their standard D/C-cell line. This are just too perfect for modding ;).

rayman

Imon

Enlightened
Why the scalloped bezel Maglite? :thumbsdow
Hope the Mag-Tac comes with a glass lens ... and PLEASE let it have better threads on the tailcap. Also I hope it has Type III hard anodizing.

Last thing ... I not sure why they would put this flashlight in a ad unless it was pretty close to being released - I dunno, I could be wrong but why did they put "Final Performance Specs Subject to Change"? Maybe they don't have that many working prototypes? :confused:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
This is great news! Not only for Mag but think of how this will affect the other lights that we see at walmart and the like in the future. They will have to evolve as well or get left behind.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
Assuming that this isn't a Photoshopped prank ad...

Why would somebody run a magazine ad for a counterfeit Maglite? That makes no sense. If you want to sell counterfeit Maglites, the last thing you want to do is shout about in a magazine.

This looks plausible to me. An XP-G CR123 version of the existing XL200 wouldn't be that far-fetched. That thing looks very, very similar to the XL200 and the preliminary specs look very close in terms of lumens and run time to what you would get powering an the XP-G XL-200 with two CR123s.

Here's a link to the trademark registration info for MAG-TAC:

http://www.trademarkia.com/magtac-85016170.html

The links are legit. They link through to the US Patent and Trademark office, so Maglite has defnitely trademarked this brand.

Last edited:

nzo012

Newly Enlightened
The AD came out of The American Police Beat magazine. We get it at work and it usually list many of the new products that are coming out. It is from the US and I am in the Mid West of the USA. I am tempted to send in the reader service card on this one...it may even be worth the next two years of junk mail and catalogs for file cabinets and postage meters I'd be enrolling in.

tam17

Enlightened
2xCR123 isn't my thing, but this looks like a big change in Mag's point of view. I'll surely be on the watch for their new releases.

Tam