E1e xpg drop-in with 1.4 amp 3 mode driver, gauging interest and availability

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
Update: sales thread is posted here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ver-and-copper-heatsink&p=3772030#post3772030

So my newest fascination is the Surefire E1E, and I know there are a couple led drop-in designs that have been made available for E-series incan heads, but I don't know what their current status is. So, I'm thinking of making an led drop-in for my new E1E, and I would like to know if there is any interest among other folks for one of these drop-ins if I decide to make a batch once my current projects are squared away.

The driver is pretty much set as being the 1.4A 3-mode from Shiningbeam, however the emitter tint could be cool, neutral, or high-CRI warm.

I will probably only make 5-10 at first, depending on interest, especially because it appears that there is at least one other person making these available right now, although I'm not sure about that. Due to the design of the reflector in the E1E, my design will most likely look similar to the others out there, but my little spin on things will be to use copper for the heatsink, as well as some choice of emitter tint. Price would be around $75 (this is not a sales thread just to avoid any confusion).

So, any interest, or has the E1L satisfied this need for everyone? Personally, I like my prototype version (neutral tint xpg) alot, and the adjustable levels makes the E1e very useful both as a nightlight and as a reasonably high-output floody pocket rocket.

Last edited:

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
KuKu427 is not currently making his e-series dropins because he's working on a complete replacement head for the E-series which will utilise an XM-L emitter.

there may well be considerable demand for this :)

seahunt

Enlightened
In for three,cool.
Just send me an invoice or
advise pmt details.
Regards, Chuck
Have the Vital Gear bodies
and SF E-heads just waiting.
KuKu's discontinuation of his modules
hit right after I had bought several VG set-ups.
OUCH

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
Update: I have attached some pictures of the aluminum version of the drop-in I made for my own E1e. The version I will be selling will be similar, but with the following differences: the heatsink will be made of copper, and the leads will be soldered to a thin (0.010" thick) pcb with a hole that allows direct surface mounting of the emitter to the copper heatsink. The pcb will be there only to avoid soldering the wires directly to the emitter, such as I have done for one wire in the prototype. I don't like heating up the emitter directly like that. I have already designed and made a few of the pcbs. I am in the process of making my first mini-wave of "production" copper drop-ins right now, however I have only taken one actual order, and I don't want to take any more orders until I have those 3 done. Once I have those delivered, I will make a larger wave based on the requests posted on this thread. I will take orders as the drop-ins become available. This way I will avoid taking several orders at once and making people wait for me to catch up with making the drop-ins while I already have their payment, which is a position I don't want to be in.

I will take orders in the order in which people have posted requests on this thread. Hopefully this is fair to everyone, I appreciate the interest and I expect to be able to make a drop-in for everyone who wants one, but I am determined to avoid a large pre-pay situation. I estimate I will have the first three done within two weeks, and I will also start to make the two requested by Nbnracing. Once I know when they'll be finished I will send you my payment info.

Indadark, if you definitely would like one please let me know your tint preference, and I will get yours done in the same group.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, and please bear with me as I am still learning how to best manage things so I can do things the right way. Thanks again for the interest.

Pics of prototype, sale model will be made of copper, with the wires soldered to a mini-star and not the emitter.
10-4-11_FlashlightImages%2520008.jpg

10-4-11_FlashlightImages%2520010.jpg

10-4-11_FlashlightImages%2520007.jpg

10-4-11_FlashlightImages%2520009.jpg

Epsilon

Enlightened
I don't get the led-tower styles to be honest. Especially in lights with _very_ small reflectors like the E1E. You lose such a lot of throw because in essence, you are catching a very small amount of light with the reflector due to the nature of leds: they emit light one way: out the front.

In my opinion, a TIR optic or parabolic reflector is a much better way to go.

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
I understand your point of view, however in my case I didn't want to modify my E1e in a way that required machining the head (that's the beauty of a drop-in). Also, while the led beam is more floody than the stock bulb, I immediately fell in love with it once I first turned it on. I realize its probably not for everyone, and I don't expect these to be wildly popular, but I think they are a great solution for a specific need. The E1L design follows your reasoning, but for me its great to have the stock E1e form with an adjustable level led. Personally I find the beam quality of my prototype drop-in in my E1e to be just as nice as my LX2, just much more floody, which is perfect for the common uses for a small light like this, in my opinion. The throw actually isn't too shabby either when running at 1.4A (at least 150 feet no problem).

About the reflector: I was careful to match the emitter surface height as closely as possible to the height of the bulb filament, and this may not maximize the reflectors ability to throw light forward, however I worry there may be a donut in the hotspot if I alter the emitter height. I may experiment to see if I can increase the apparent brightness or the throw by altering the height of the emitter. Really though, I like how it turned out.

I would be interested in finding out how people like the beam generated by this drop-in compared to the E1L head (KX1?), as well as the availablility of more output on high (as far as I understand), and 3 available brightness levels vs. two.

indadark

Newly Enlightened
Indadark, if you definitely would like one please let me know your tint preference, and I will get yours done in the same group.

Thanks, I'll take one in neutral. IM me with PP info. BTW, after I receive this one. I may be interested in another. I have a Kuku drop in but it has a real noticeable green tint.

Last edited:

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I have just ordered emitters and drivers for the first batch of 11, based on interest posted here. I have two other projects I am committed to this week, although I will also begin to build these drop-ins as time permits. Once I have all the materials I will begin taking orders, this way I will know exactly how many of each tint to build.

I will post payment information later this week.

Shao.fu.tzer, please let me know if you are definitely in for one, and which tint you would like (Cool: R5 1C tint, Neutral: R3 3A-D tint, Warm: Q2 90 CRI 3000K)

choombak, if you could please PM me concerning shipping to India, I have no international shipping experience so I want to work that out ahead of time.

Thanks for your patience everyone.

-Jon

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
Hi GoldenF1 and stphnman, if you could please let me know your tint preference I will include your drop-ins in the first wave.

I have changed my position slightly from my earlier post: in order to know how many of each emitter tint to order, I have decided to take a limited number (up to 20) of pre-orders, starting Monday. I will post payment information then, but in a new sales thread in the custom/modified for sale section on CPF (not marketplace). Price will be $75+paypal fees (I don't want to do paypal gift because I worry I won't be able to keep track of shipping addresses). This will include insured shipping to CONUS, if international please PM me about additional shipping costs. This first wave will max out at 20, so if anyone wants to get in on the first wave please let me know by Friday. Whether or not I reach 20 orders by Friday I will be starting work on the orders I do have. Orders placed on Monday could take up to three weeks to ship, which I want to be up front about, however it shouldn't take that long. I hope this makes sense, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

I will be listing each paid order in the order I received payment in the new sales thread (I will provide a link to that thread here). The sales thread will have details, but basically a definite order will consist of a post in the sales thread confirming the number of drop-ins, the tint preference for each one, and confirmation that payment has been sent. CPF username MUST be included in comments section when sending payment through paypal so I don't confuse any orders. I will finish and ship the drop-ins in the order payment was received.

I think taking orders in waves will work best by allowing me to order the quantities of each emitter tint I need just before filling the order. If this wave system doesn't work out well, I may revert to taking orders individually by PM, but I think this will work best so that I can make the tint to order for each customer.

Thanks again for the interest, I will post the link to the sales thread on Monday, and I should have pictures of the first copper drop-ins shortly after.

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

The sales thread is posted in custom and modified B/S/T: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?324349-E1E-xpg-drop-in-with-1.4-amp-3-mode-driver-and-copper-heatsink&p=3772030#post3772030

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I want to let everyone who has stated definite interest on this thread (before this post) that I will make sure your order is included in the first wave as long as you order (if you have not already done so) within the next week.

Thanks again.

-Jon

Norcimbus

Newly Enlightened
I have posted this in the sales thread, but I wanted to keep this thread up to date in case anyone has not yet found the sales thread (see link in my last post). Hopefully this isn't considered cross-posting, I'm not yet sure whether its ok to keep the information thread and the sales thread going at the same time with similar information.

Ok, here are a few pics of the final production version of the drop-in. I would also like to mention a few more details about the design:

The height of the emitter has been carefully optimized to achieve a uniform hotspot, with no donut-hole. The hotspot is large with a fairly well defined border, and nice even spill. The beam is floody, more so than the incandescent lamp this light comes with. I have included beamshots, however it should be obvious that my little canon powershot is less than ideal for clear pictures.

Concerning heat, this drop-in has never become uncomfortably warm during use at 1.4 amps, although the longest I have run the copper version is for ~10 minutes. The slip fit of the drop-in into the body tube appears to conduct heat from the drop-in reasonably well, although I recommend using thermal grease around the heatsink where it inserts into the body in order to maximize the heat transfer. The fit should just allow a thin layer of thermal compound to exist between the surfaces.

I am also offering epoxy potting of the driver for durability if desired. I don't do this automatically because I like the idea of being able to upgrade/replace drivers and emitters if needed, however I will be happy to pot the driver in arctic alumina if desired.

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

10-4-11_FlashlightImages%2520004.jpg