Malkoff
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Zebralight S5310

Default Re: New Zebralight S5310

Need neutral version too.

This will be another 18 pages thread without a pics on a non existent light. Oops, I'm contributing to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NickBose View Post
    This will be another 18 pages thread without a pics on a non existent light. Oops, I'm contributing to it.
    Hahaha, but you are right, where's the pics......
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever"
    Ghandi.

Flashaholic*

So far ZL have a pretty good record of actually making and selling "planned" lights (with the exception of the "2xAA side-by-side" light, but I don't think they ever claimed it got past the "thinking about it" stage to the "yes we are going to make and sell these" stage.

I believe more choice is usually better - a bit like the ZL UI gives you lots of choices of output (but is easy to quickly get the one you want).

For the people who don't like thermal management there are choices/compromises to be made (by both manufacturers and buyers). Smaller lighter lights simply don't have the capacity to dissipate a lot of heat, so most reputable manufacturers are conservative and reduce max light output ALL the time, or they allow a higher initial output but reduce when it gets too hot to save the emitter (thermal management).

Other choices are: allow the emitter to be degraded due to excessive heat; significantly increase the size and weight of the light to allow better heat disssipation.

As buyers, we can weigh up all factors before buying a light.
    WTB Any Brand locking pliers multitool, Kershaw Bit Kit, leather sheath

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by NickBose View Post
    That's nothing, check this one out:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...ght=e01+killer

807 posts, over 51,000 views and still no specs, let alone a pic or two
    WTB Any Brand locking pliers multitool, Kershaw Bit Kit, leather sheath

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon of Light View Post
    programmabgle low low. See Zebralight gets it. Other big name light manufacturers don't. I'm talking about the Fenixes, Eagletacs, and most Jetbeam models. Their idea of low lows are 2-5 lumens which is a huge fail.
    +1!
    I am the Light of the world. If you follow me, you won't have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life. - Jesus

How about a S5310w OR even better a S5310c Mr. Zebra?????????
    Huh? Huh? Come on you know we want it, and we want it NOW!

I do not buy all that many lights, but this light would be a must have for me. I like the sound of the q50 with 4aa's , but I think the 3aa light will be much more pocketable instead of the square light. I also just bought 16 new eneloops and a smart charger, all I need is for this light to be released.
    My only concern with the zebralight would be toughness. I flounder gig almost every weekend out of a kayak at night. This light will see plenty of salt water, I hope it can stand up.

Enlightened

So many tempting lights being offered by zebralight as of lately.

Bigfish5, check this thread relating to the durability of zebralights. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...t-Torture-Test

I'll take one in addition to the Q50 i plan to purchase

cheers

Does anyone know when this light is supposed to go up for sale? Any pics of it out there? I really want this one.

Unverified source stated the S5310 would be released in Mar 2012.
    Now let make this thread 20 pages before a picture appears!
    stp where are you we need your autoCAD skill
    Last edited by NickBose; 01-20-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Remarkable how little buzz this is making, compared to the SC600 when the latter was announced. Maybe we're all so pleased with the way the SC600 turned out, we don't really need another more-or-less-the-same light with a much poorer form factor. I'm still psyched, especially with the 0.01 lumen L2, but I have to admit 3 AA's clunking around inside and containing less energy than a single 18650 which is barely bigger than a single AA ... I have to admit that does dampen my enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by fnj View Post
    Remarkable how little buzz this is making, compared to the SC600 when the latter was announced. Maybe we're all so pleased with the way the SC600 turned out, we don't really need another more-or-less-the-same light with a much poorer form factor. I'm still psyched, especially with the 0.01 lumen L2, but I have to admit 3 AA's clunking around inside and containing less energy than a single 18650 which is barely bigger than a single AA ... I have to admit that does dampen my enthusiasm.
    I know I'm stating the obvious here, but there are way more people that use AA's. As a person who strictly uses AA/AAA Eneloops, the form factor of 3xAA is very appealing to me.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by UpstandingCitizen View Post
    I know I'm stating the obvious here, but there are way more people that use AA's. As a person who strictly uses AA/AAA Eneloops, the form factor of 3xAA is very appealing to me.
    This.....I have said it before the possible market of people that would use a AA light compared to Li-Ion light is easily 100 to 1 or even more.How many people "outside of this forum" that you know use Lithium Ion lights or Cr123 lights ..now how many of the other people use readily available AA lights or products. Outdoor sports people Hunters,Fisherman, hikers and campers would love a small packable AA light that would put out 750 or so lumens and not worry getting into a new battery format

Quote Originally Posted by UpstandingCitizen View Post
    Exactly!
    UK Q40, Inova X5, Inova X1, Inova T2, Fenix L1, Novatac EDC85, Xeno E06, SWM M20A, SWM C10A, NDI GDP, SWM V20A, SWM M40A, Xeno E03, Fenix E25, Fenix LD12.

I am a tech geek, or, well, used to be... went to college for EE, etc etc and I didnt even know that universal Li-ions like 14500, 18650, etc existed until I came to this forum... and I am tempted to try them for there energy density but since I am already setup on AA so far I am planning to stick to that. About the only thing thats going to change my mind is when some 4x 18650 2,000+ lumen lights start becomming more affordable. To get in that range I think AA's would not be a good choice!

Flashaholic

Its moved in the spreadsheet. February 2013

Looks like you're in luck with the SC6330 3x18650 and 3 XM-L LEDs for a high of 2400 lumens! Will also run continuously for a YEAR on .09 lumens for when the SHTF moments in a doomsday scenario which is something everyone should be at least preparing for.

Quote Originally Posted by DIΩDΣ View Post
    I am a tech geek, or, well, used to be... went to college for EE, etc etc and I didnt even know that universal Li-ions like 14500, 18650, etc existed until I came to this forum... and I am tempted to try them for there energy density but since I am already setup on AA so far I am planning to stick to that. About the only thing thats going to change my mind is when some 4x 18650 2,000+ lumen lights start becomming more affordable. To get in that range I think AA's would not be a good choice!

I love Zebralight but I think they need to calm down on the hype of possibly-upcomming lights and work on getting more of their flagship models in stock. You know, the ones that gave them a name and reputation for awesome lights in the first place.
    GOOD TINT!

I hope they give it 14500 support and maintain the feature I just posted about in the SC6330 thread: independent battery channels. I have quite a few orphaned eneloop sets and dislike making more of them and keep them in pairs.
    If they do this I might forget all about the Q50 and get this one instead.

However, it's a bit unlikely. They list 1 - 3 x 18650's for the SC6330 but just 3 x AA for the SC5310.

Quote Originally Posted by LiteShow View Post
    Yeah, checked zebralight site and sure enough, they just updated their spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CNqP6KIC#gid=0

The notes at the right side of the spreadsheet does say "Programmable L2 (0.01-0.32Lm), Battery Indicator". I like low lows! Wonder how the battery indicator works?
    The circuit of S5310 might be three SC52's in parallel. Three AA batteries of S5310 might be also in parallel or independently operate like S6330.
    Programmable L2 and battery indicator of S5310 shall be similar to those of SC52.

Looks like it won't be independent. In the battery column of S6330 it says "1–3" whereas for S5310 it's just "3". It probably made sense to make it so complicated for 18650s due to more dangers involved, which isn't much of an issue with 1.5 volt batteries in terms of both chemistry and temperatures. It's also cheaper than the new SC600 mk2 despite having the same max brightness—which is the highest I've seen for a mass-produced AA light, too. Even brighter than TK41! Way to go, ZL!

I'm very interested in runtimes of this new light. If they're gonna be anywhere near the original SC600 on eneloops XX, I might end up getting SC5310 instead of SC600 mk2. Extra weight, sure, but more abuse-tolerant chemistry and the ability to run on primaries and leech off of other AA-powered appliances in case of an emergency is more important in my book. I just hope this light takes 5.5 volt on input just in case PowerGenix comes up with a new generation NiZn cells, because that would be really interesting.

Is the wily and elusive Q50 dead?

It's been deleted from the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet

I guess they decided there wasn't much sense in doing it after all, especially since Nitecore had released EA4. If ZL holds true to their output promises, they've already beaten EA4 with 3xAA (good marketing potential there), and the only benefit of Q50 over S5310 at this point would be ~33% improvement in runtimes at the cost of square body profile. Round(-ish) is still more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by GordoJones88 View Post

The SC51 has been put in the discontinued section.

Quote Originally Posted by GordoJones88 View Post

No, The Q50, no! You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, d**n you!

Et Lux In Tenebris Lucet

Mmm imagine that with three 14500... 1500 lumens boooommm!!!

Lumens don't stack with batteries, lol.

What we need to do is convince Zebralight to make an SC600 sized light with 3 emitters and a TIR reflector.