Need floody headlamp for work.

speedsix

Enlightened
I have a PT EOS that has been great for camping and around the house but it is too spotty for work. I work on elevators so I am often in the dark using both hands to repair something.

The EOS is a great headlamp and you guys recommended it to me over three years ago and it is still serving me well. I just find that most of my work is at arms length and having to angle my head to see things is not ideal. What I need is a light that is mostly flood and little to no throw.

MUST be AAA or AA.
No packs in back.
Should be no larger or bulkier than the EOS.
Price is not an issue but I have been perfectly happy with the $35 EOS so I don't think it should cost more than that.

speedsix

Enlightened
Also, no Zebralights. Had one and had to send it back within a week. My PT EOS has been to rain forest of Costa Rica, mountains of Puerto Rico, Colorado, seen hurricane conditions in the Outer Banks, been on several hiking trips, served as my bicycle light, been my work light for years and it has never needed anything save a new set of batteries from time to time.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
have you tried taping scotch tape over the lens of your Eos?

or if you need something that's just a little bit floodier than the Eos, you might want to check out the Princeton Tec Quad. it has pretty much the same chassis and build quality as the Eos, but has a floodier beam. it's not a true "wall of light" flood, but it'll give you better peripheral illumination than the Eos.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
You might like the Tikka2. It is not a "true" flood as flood aficionados would call it but it is a good deal floodier than the EOS. My Tikka2 is probably my most used headlamp.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Also, no Zebralights. Had one and had to send it back within a week..

Much like saying "Got rained on on a Tuesday, once. Not going outside on Tuesdays ever again!" The huge majority of Zebralights sold are absolutely dependable. Do you seriously think nobody has ever had a problem with a PT EOS?

Howecollc

Enlightened
Much like saying "Got rained on on a Tuesday, once. Not going outside on Tuesdays ever again!" The huge majority of Zebralights sold are absolutely dependable. Do you seriously think nobody has ever had a problem with a PT EOS?
I'll wager that he wouldn't get nearly as many complainants with a Princeton Tec reliability poll as he did with the Zebralight poll.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
How about this model...

http://www.rei.com/product/737855/petzl-tactikka-xp-adapt-led-headlamp

has some slider lenses. One of them is a flood lens. This way you can have flood and retain spot when you need it. REO lists it at 66.00, but I think some looking around on the web may get you a better price.

do you have access to a sandblaster? You could frost the EOS yourself. Just go easy..it doesn't take much.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
You could try an Ultrafire Uf-H2B. It is similar to a ZL H501 but with a ramping brightness control. You need to lock out the tailcap when not using it as it has a petty high parasitic drain. I prefer my H502 (but am looking forward to the H502 and H602 when they are released)

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
...as he did with the Zebralight poll.

For those who don't know, Zebralight had a bad batch of lights around the beginning of '09, due to then-new-to-market H501s and H60s which were insufficiently sealed around the lens and/or switch. While the problem was discovered and fixed in short order, those lights that were sold for a few weeks or months failed gradually over many following months/years. Many people who got one of those lights take a "never forgive, never forget" stance. Others who didn't buy during that time period can't figure out why others are so negative about Zebralight reliability, which otherwise has an enviable track record. The back-story helps explain why there is this extreme polarity of opinion on Zebralights. To my knowledge we've not seen a similar cohort failure of Z-lights at any other time, although certainly the occasional failure slips through, and you can't fault people for holding a grudge against any type of failure. But the '09 issue speaks to how taking your eye off the QC ball for even a little while can do long term damage. And, when you consider the popularity of Zebralights on this forum (notice satisfaction rankings 3rd & 4th graphic down), even random chance would explain an increased number of reported failures (due to a larger ownership base.) For example, you don't see people complaining about Dosun failures...in part, because hardly anybody owns them!

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who don't know, Zebralight had a bad batch of lights around the beginning of '09, due to then-new-to-market H501s and H60s which were insufficiently sealed around the lens and/or switch. While the problem was discovered and fixed in short order, those lights that were sold for a few weeks or months failed gradually over many following months/years. Many people who got one of those lights take a "never forgive, never forget" stance. Others who didn't buy during that time period can't figure out why others are so negative about Zebralight reliability, which otherwise has an enviable track record. The back-story helps explain why there is this extreme polarity of opinion on Zebralights. To my knowledge we've not seen a similar cohort failure of Z-lights at any other time, although certainly the occasional failure slips through, and you can't fault people for holding a grudge against any type of failure. But the '09 issue speaks to how taking your eye off the QC ball for even a little while can do long term damage. And, when you consider the popularity of Zebralights on this forum (notice satisfaction rankings 3rd & 4th graphic down), even random chance would explain an increased number of reported failures (due to a larger ownership base.) For example, you don't see people complaining about Dosun failures...in part, because hardly anybody owns them!

I doubt if the OP really owned a ZL light. A while back he started several threads on the "Flashlights Forums" asking for light recommendations with the same theme: stating he had a bad ZL light and don't want another one.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
i don't think there's a need to pillory the OP for not wanting to give a good thing a real chance. he's only hurting himself.

Last edited:

davecroft

Enlightened
i don't think there's a need to pillory the OP for not wanting to give Zebras another chance. he's only hurting himself.

Fair point. I have noticed a trend on the forums lately where people are given a hard time for expressing their opinion on a flashlight, LED or whatever. Just because they don't agree that Zebralights, 4Sevens, Fenix etc. etc. are the best thing since sliced bread.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had some problems with my ZL H501 before. I posted pictures and asked for opinions on how to fix it. When I couldn't fix it, I sent to Zebralight to have it fixed. That was it. I posted once on the subject with proof (pictures). It's just a little fishy when the same person posted the same thing on several threads without any picture his light.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I said above, you can't fault people for holding a grudge against a brand that's let them down. There are lots of good brands of lights and if the OP doesn't like Zebra for whatever reason, fine, we move on to other recommendations. I'd be eyeballing the Sparks, PT, SF, and Petz.

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
I am an Electrician and I personally like my Spark ST5. Remove the reflector and you have a massive flood lamp.
I personally like metal body and glass lens headlamps they tend to take the rough treatment a little better. Plastic lenses scratch easier than glass. The Zebra's and Sparks lights don't have plastic hindge points to break. The design of the Zebra can also be used as a Flash/pocket light which is a nice feature In a work environment. I carry a Handheld with my Spark. Might not have too with a Zebra!
I want to check out the new Spark SD52 or the Zebra when they come out.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably shouldn't be commenting here due to the "no ZebraLights" specification. But I will anyway... :p

No disrespect intended, but I can't help but think that one negative experience has clouded the OP's ability to be objective toward considering a ZebraLight option, and I mean objectivity in relation to willingness to consider the positive experiences of others.

I haven't owned that many headlamps, but I do have both a ZebraLight H501w and a Princeton Tec Apex Pro (as well as several flashlights that I use attached to headbands). For use as described in the first post something like the ZL H501w would be a near perfect choice. Given its small size, light weight, versatility in ways it can be used, and eye friendliness for arm's length work, I find it hard to beat the floody H501w. I much prefer it over the Princeton Tec for arm's length use. And if I pull it off my head and stuff it in my pants pocket (headband and all), I hardly notice it's there (just another added benefit of the lack of bulk and weight).

speedsix, you might consider Bolster's points in post number 11, above, before totally discounting ZL. And I'm trying to make the recommendation as objectively as I can. Just my two cents worth.