Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peak Vesuvius - AAA sized, capable of producing 600 OTF lumens!

Default Re: Peak Vesuvius - AAA sized, capable of producing 600 OTF lumens!

Quote Originally Posted by shao.fu.tzer View Post
    I've purchased and tested the only two IMR 10440 cells that I could find and they didn't meet my expectations... At a 2A draw, you're only going to get maybe 125mAh if you're lucky which would equate to about a 5-6 minute runtime on high... Just sayin...
    +1

Something isn't adding up with those numbers. The mah values suggest its a falsely labeled capacity or falsely labeled chemistry. Either way, they should only be used with extra care.

Quote Originally Posted by shao.fu.tzer View Post
    Just to let everyone know, I've purchased and tested the only two IMR 10440 cells that I could find and they didn't meet my expectations... At a 2A draw, you're only going to get maybe 125mAh if you're lucky which would equate to about a 5-6 minute runtime on high... Just sayin...
    I tested a bunch of IMR 10440's and so far the max capacity I achieved was 330mAh but that was only when drawing 100mA.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    +1

Something isn't adding up with those numbers. The mah values suggest its a falsely labeled capacity or falsely labeled chemistry. Either way, they should only be used with extra care.
    Most batteries will experience a reduced capacity under high loads so its a good idea to ask at what discharge rate the capacity was measured (though I've found that even some of the manufacturers are not sure). If they can not provide a datasheet, then you really wont know what you are getting till you test.

I did get a datasheet from one maker that quoted 250mAh for 10440's rated for 10C discharge.

Agree'd on the "extra care" part!

tgwnn

Anybody have one of these and care to post thoughts?

Flashaholic*

I will be receiving mine on Monday.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

WOW!, doesn't even begin to describe how much I love this light. I was a bit concerned about the heat warning but after fooling around with the light for about an hour it will be a non-factor, for me, I wont need the highest brightness for more than a minute at a time.
    Of all the Peak QTCs I've used, Eiger, El Cap, and Logan, this light exhibits the smoothest ramp.
    The beam is a joy to behold with a barely noticeable hotspot much like an Eiger narrow.
    I think the Volcan is more of a thrower but this little gem is a beautiful flood and can really light up a room.
    What amazes me is how easy the low will turn on with no fiddling at all making me confident of not destroying my night vision when I need it.
    IMO this and the 17500 Logan with tubes are the apex of Peak QTCs.
    Thank you Bob for your help in finalizing my selection.
    Last edited by jorgen; 10-23-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Flashaholic*

Thank you for making my weekend that much longer, lol. I NEED IT NOW!!!!

How long were you able to keep the light on max output before it got too hot?
    Last edited by dudemar; 10-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.

I ran it on high for 2 minutes, all I think I'd ever need, and the light was warm but not nearly as hot as an ITP A2 after 1 minute on a 14500.
    btw, Mine is brass.

Flashaholic*

Amazing! With the HA version I hope to possibly see 4~5 min. runtime on high. That would be more than enough for me.

Flashaholic*

Is it just me or did interest in the Vesuvius completely drop off? It seems ever since the light was released, chatter about the light has dropped to zero.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I'm really excited to receive mine on Monday.

I think most folks are just waiting for the reviews to begin coming in. I hope you're planning on posting some beam shots .

Flashaholic*

I have an old digital camera but I think I could probably take some decent beamshots. I'll try to make do with what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post
    I tested a bunch of IMR 10440's and so far the max capacity I achieved was 330mAh but that was only when drawing 100mA.
    330mAh even at only 100mA is more than I would have thought. Looking at Eneloops, AA are 2.5 times the capacity of AAA. And considering 14500 IMR are only rated at 600 mAh, I was thinking 240 mAh from 10440 would be more realistic.

For me the battery capacity at max draw is not a big issue. The light won't be running at max for very long anyway (likely mostly just to blow peoples minds that such a small light can do such...).

If I can get 240 mAh or more from the IMR 10440 at lessor levels I will be quite happy.

I am looking for a Vesuvius holster with a carrier for a spare 10440. Suggestions?
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by AnAppleSnail View Post
    I am looking for a Vesuvius holster with a carrier for a spare 10440. Suggestions?
    Maybe check with Hogo (Thor's Hammer Custom Leather) ... ?
    IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0