• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Vesuvius - AAA sized, capable of producing 600 OTF lumens!

choombak

Enlightened
From the chatter in the Peak sub-forum, it appears that a new AAA-sized light will appear on the scene capable of producing upto 600 OTF lumens from a freshly charged 10440 of good quality, and uses XM-L emitter. :whistle:

Last edited:

Craig K

Enlightened
Wait ...What ??? 600 lumens from a single AAA sized light.

Last edited:

JacobJones

Enlightened
Wow, looks like the guy with no name has some competition, he says his will be 500 lumens so peak go one better. This leaves me out in the rain, mine was going to be only 300 lumens from a NiHM AAA.

beerwax

Enlightened
Wow, looks like the guy with no name has some competition, he says his will be 500 lumens so peak go one better. This leaves me out in the rain, mine was going to be only 300 lumens from a NiHM AAA.

i like nimh.

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
Agreed, i prefer nimh as well, especielly when your talking a tiny pocket rocket like that. 600 OTF lumens is incredible but id be afraid to keep it in my pocket.

Although, Curt designed the Vesuvius around the new QTC pills for infinitely variable light which does give it some very practical uses. On a side note, hes developing a 2xAAA body. i might pick it up once thats out. 2x nimhs will make it light up.

Its also being made in brass, im a sucker for brass, but the light not working on a single AA alk, nimh or primary has me sad :( Ill just have to be satisified with my Eiger, Shasta, and MnKinley which are due on friday!

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered 4 IMR 10440 LiMn, now just to wait for the light to come out.
Drooling on the lump of brass..

I do too like nimh, but i won't buy a ferrari and complain about how it sucks on bumpy gravel roads. Preformence has a price.

jayy42

Newly Enlightened
I do too like nimh, but i won't buy a ferrari and complain about how it sucks on bumpy gravel roads. Preformence has a price.

I don't know. Might be more like buying a Ferrari and complaining that it gets so hot that it burns your legs off.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you buy the batteries from?
Pm sent.

I don't know. Might be more like buying a Ferrari and complaining that it gets so hot that it burns your legs off.
Maby, but still. Preformance combined with this size will alwys have it's drawback.
Going full throttle for 5 min in a ferrari is less safe than going full throttle with a 600 lumen 10440 light for 5 min. You wont get unharmed out of the ferarri if you use it's max potential with no breaking for 5 min. And i dont see anyone complaining about how unsafe sportscars are :) You are your own safety in any car, and i dont mind beeing my own safety in a little "harmless" flashlight.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Pm sent.

Maby, but still. Preformance combined with this size will alwys have it's drawback.
Going full throttle for 5 min in a ferrari is less safe than going full throttle with a 600 lumen 10440 light for 5 min. You wont get unharmed out of the ferarri if you use it's max potential with no breaking for 5 min. And i dont see anyone complaining about how unsafe sportscars are :) You are your own safety in any car, and i dont mind beeing my own safety in a little "harmless" flashlight.

But you don't have police officers and heafty fines to stop you going full throttle with a flashlight.

Personally I believe it would be possible to get 500+ lumens out of a single AAA LSD NiMH but I haven't got round to trying it yet. AAA NiMH didn't have a problem supplying the power for 300 lumens the other day but for 500 it'd have to supply almost double the current. Even if it can though the sacrifice is runtime and size, to extract the current for 500 lumens from a NiMH AAA will take a big driver, the finished light would end up being a bit too big for a AAA light so might aswell make it into an AA one. On the plus side it doesn't blow your hand off...

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats because speed can kill you and other pepole, flashlight's don't.
I have never heard of a flashlight with a single imr cell go poof. With multi cells, well thats a different story.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I find the timing of this light to be an amazing co-incidence!!!

About a month after tgwnn comes up with this original concept and draws a huge amount of interest, Curt from Peak announces something almost identical, priced in the same range and seemingly trying to trump the lumen output.

Draw your own conclusions.

beerwax

Enlightened
Vesuvius. that is such a good name for a little torch. Curt has absolutly nailed it.