Lupine Betty over heating

MannyMax

Newly Enlightened
I have just become the proud owner of a lupine betty headlamp, the lamp is not going to be used for cycling but will be used out doors, problem is, if the lamp overheats, the wattage drops to prevent the lamp burning out, so you get less light, lupine supplies a new upgrade kit, smaller leds, board and lens, so my question is: just anybody know on here if the smaller leds produce less heat than the older larger leds?

Cheers

Manny

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello and welcome to CPF.

The old Betty uses the Cree XR-E. This was upgraded to Cree XP-G and then upgraded again (doesn't say what it is now but could be higher bin XP-G or even XM-L). This will be more efficient than than the old version but to be honest I don't think the heat output will change a lot. You could get a better answer from Stefan over at the Lupine forums. I believe he's the main engineer for Lupine and quite active on those forums so should be able to tell you whether or not it should be overheating in that situation and if the upgrade will make a difference.

MannyMax

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for answering my query, Will check out the other forums for more info.

Manny

Tidra

Enlightened
From my point of view, Lupine Betty at full power and not moving fast enough overheating and reducing output power of course in normal condition, if you are going to cave or any other cold environments than the stori is different.

Old Betty was using Seul P4 led, than Cree XP-g, now combination of CREE XP-g and XM-L or just XM-L.
I would say that XM-L version should produce some less heat because they are well under driven, if it is enough not to dim,... that is the question,...

Cheers,
Iztok

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dumb Question: Can the older Betty with XR-E/XP-G have its LED assembly switched out for the newer seven XM-L assembly without changing any other electronic component like the driver? I assume not.