L333 in high-CRI flavor

easy2led

Newly Enlightened
I have finished a bike light with a L333 90-CRI module.

The setup is made with this housing: http://www.easy2led.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=181
with a remote switch housing
and this module: http://lux-rc.com/view.php?p=content/products/light_engines/3UP/XPGU1&_sx=0&_sy=304 , model L333-MC-XPGU1-A

I have two optics to play with - the spot and the oval.

Putting the light together was pretty easy, soldering the pins on the module was the hardest part.

Here is the result:

On maximum power (16W) the housing is barely warm when moving. The spot optic is rather floody with those XP-Gs, the high color rendering index (CRI for short) in my opinion is much better than the usual cool-white.

I can make beamshots but what is the usual settings for beamshots?

easy2led

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely, this is very close to halogen. Actually I had a warm white flashlight before, but the regular variety. The 90-CRI is not as yellow as the regular warm white. Only drawback - the lumen output is not very high, but still it beats any halogen light.

I have tried the oval optic and I was pleasantly surprised - there was enough light in front and on the sides, very comfortable, similar to a car low beam.

borrower

Enlightened
I'm a little late to this thread, but for anyone finding it in the future, I can recommend digikey's "CONN SOCKET PCB FOR 0.5MM PIN" 952-1457-ND. It means you don't need to touch the L333 board with a soldering iron.

Edit: another version of it is a Harwin H3153-01 (tin shell), available at (among others) Mouser in the UK as p/n 855-H3153-01. This is the version that's 3.6mm long, and 1mm OD, for a 0.5mm post. (Harwin makes others, so I thought I'd clarify.)

One should nip off the top of the connector that's going on the plus post (the one in the middle of the pcb); otherwise, it'll interfere with the optic.

If you ordered the pre-made wire kit from lux-rc.com, all that would be soldered up and done for you, and you wouldn't have to bother with a digikey/mouser order.

Last edited:

Latest posts