My first magmod > 1200 lumens. > Maybe going xml, need a litle help

wollie88

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

I finished my 2nd custom maglite a couple of weeks back. Decided to show it here. The goal of this light is to make a flashligt over a 1000 lumens with a runtime of at least 1Hour. I wanted it to be powered by nimh cells, i did this because this light will be used by people who dont know how to handle litium cells. So nimh would be safer.

The host is a black 2d maglite. To keep it simple i just a 5x cree r2 droppin off dealextreme. It has a single mode driver.

DX SKU 35241 cree-r2-1200-lumen-white-light-drop-in-led-module
Sales Link Removed - Norm

To make it fit it needed to be modified on a lathe.

The flashligt is powered by 6 2500mah nimh cells in series. On the back of the flashlight i added a charging plug so de batteries dont have to be removed.
Now that the flashligt is finished i only need to make a charger for it, i will do that in the following weeks. I will post progress in this threat.

Maglite on its charger:

dsc0043vs.jpg

Charging plug on the back:

dsc0044df.jpg

The head with the led's:

dsc0046zn.jpg

Beamshots will follow.

Last edited:

GoldenF1

Newly Enlightened
Re: My first magmod > 1200 lumens.

Hi,

I have the same one but i used two 32600 batteries to power it. ill put pics tmr.

wollie88

Newly Enlightened

If i was the only one using this flashlight i would have done that to, but its a light availeble for the whole family. And i dont want my brothers or parents playing around with litium ion.
And charging nimh in series is more safe then charging lithium ion in series.

moderator007

Enlightened

+1 on the use of the Nimh AA's in a family flashlight. Alot more safer.
That's one huge charger in the first pic. Lol, just kidding. Its just a stereo. Good job, wollie88.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened

Looks good, what did you have to do for it to drop in? I have no access to a lathe, but do have sandpaper, files and patience! Also, did it need any modding to the switch assembly? Or would you be able to replace with the original bulb if necessary?

wollie88

Newly Enlightened

Looks good, what did you have to do for it to drop in? I have no access to a lathe, but do have sandpaper, files and patience! Also, did it need any modding to the switch assembly? Or would you be able to replace with the original bulb if necessary?

The original bulb can not be put back, the bulp holder has to be sawn of the switch asembly.
To make the dropin fit you have to file down the heatsink a little.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened

Cheers, was hoping to avoid chopping up the torch (no reason, I just don't like chopping things up!) but will just get a spare switch for it, as this is much cheaper and brighter than the terralux 3*X-RE dropin!
Will have to get the 5-mode and put up with the annoying flashy modes, as I really need a low!

debeli

Newly Enlightened
Re: My first magmod > 1200 lumens. > Added pictures

Can You post more pictures of the charger slot please?

Eph411

Newly Enlightened

Nice charger. I just finished doing the same mod to a 6 cell body, so I've got that head running on 12 nimh AA's in D-Cell adaptors. It's a nice little torch, and a heck of a lot lighter with the nimh AA's running the bulb!

wollie88

Newly Enlightened

today the driver died.... So i need a new one, was thinking about:
[h=1]5V~8.4V 15W 5*Cree 5-Mode Memory Circuit Board for Flashlights (26mm*13mm)[/h]sku 26106

at dealextreme

Or is there something better ?

moderator007

Enlightened

today the driver died.... So i need a new one, was thinking about:
5V~8.4V 15W 5*Cree 5-Mode Memory Circuit Board for Flashlights (26mm*13mm)

sku 26106

at dealextreme

Or is there something better ?
Here's HansV thread on the 26106 reversed engineered. Thought it might help.
Most people prefer the taskled drivers for multiple leds. Such as the H6flex. I have never used one so I can not comment from experience. From what others have said they are very high quality and efficient drivers. They do cost considerably more than a DX 26106.

debeli

Newly Enlightened

What do you mean by the "charger slot" ?

Charger plug... sorry :) I want to do something like that on my maglite so more pictures will be very useful for me, to see how that plug is connected inside

wollie88

Newly Enlightened

@ debeli: I will take pictures when i'm at home. Thats probably the day after tomorrow.

After resoldering the driver it started working again
party.gif

Now that i had the driver in my hands i couldn't resist increasing the current to the leds from 650mA to 850mA.
This thing is insanely bright now. Its probably still not 1200 lumens stated at dealextreme, but its probably around a 1000lumens now.

wollie88

Newly Enlightened
Re: My first magmod > 1200 lumens. > Maybe Going xml

I was thinking to convert this thing to xml. The plan is to go 5x xml t6 @ 850ma.
At 700ma they do at least 280lumens each. So 5 of them should do over 1400lumens.

My question is what will hapen with the beampatern ? I would like to keep its throw.