Can anyone recommend a mid sized flashlight for between $60 - $110?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking at a few lights in this mid sized category(I'm sure there is actually a term for this size light other than "mid-sized").

I've looked at the Olight M-30(it's a little over $110 though), the Jetbeam BC-40, and the Fenix TK-35. I've also looked at the iTP A6 Polestar, which is 700 lumens, has a Cree XM E LED, and is only $59.95 at Amazon.com...

I'm looking for something with about 700-900 lumens. Also, I'd like it to have at least 3 -4 power modes. Strobe would be good too. I'd prefer a light that's mostly if not all aluminum.

I think that most if not all lights in this category will run on either 4 123's or 2 18650's, or somewhere between 6-8 AA's.

*** By the way: Is there an advantage to using 2 18650's instead of 4 123's in a light that will handle them? Will the 18650's give you more power, brightness, or better battery life than the 4 123's? Which do you prefer?

jbdan

Newly Enlightened
There are so many options out there it can become overwhelming to a degree. Best advice I can give is be patient, research & read reviews, be patient, and do more research & review reading:)

It's a good idea to figure out what kind of beam you want... Want throw? Flood? A good mix of both?

I have the TK35 and have run it with both 123's and 18650's (aw2900mah). The 18650's have much better runtimes. They are the same brightness.

The tk35 is a nice quality light really tough and really bright with a good balanced beam. I like the tk35 dual button interface very easy to manipulate. I've played with the BC40 a bit it's really nice too. I like the smaller form factor of the tk35 though.

Good hunting!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF HighlanderNorth.

Since you can always top off the 18650s, you can always start out with full power. As Sgt. LED said, they will give you better runtime than using cr123 cells. I find it hard to throw out cells that are only partially used, and feel guilty doing it, so I've come to rely on rechargeables. The 18650s work great. Those cells and Eneloop AA cells are the best rechargeable cells for flashlight use.

The other members here will be able to provide good suggestions if you tell us what you want out of it and/or how you plan to use it. The shape of the beam [wide and floody or narrow and throwy] will depend on what you'll be using it for. Suggestions will also depend on how durable it needs to be. I know the Jetbeam BC-40 seems like a great value for the amount of light it puts out.

Good luck in your search.
Thrifty