SolarForce vs SureFire Tailcaps

Rawhide

Newly Enlightened
I heard that SolarForce tailcaps are way better than SureFires? Is this true? Why, what makes them better?

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Not really. Just cheaper. At least for the S7 tactical Solarforce tailcap and the well proven Z41 Surefire tailcap. Although Solarforce tends to use HAIII whereas Surefire tends to use HAII which isn't as durable. I am talking about pure operation and reliability.
The quality for Solarforce is excellent for the price, and for the price you pay for Surefire, the quality doesn't increase linearly.
Solarforce = high value.
Surefire = Go-to-war option.

Don't take this as bagging Solarforce, I love em!
Also, Solarforce tends to have a lot of variety, whereas Surefire doesn't have as much.

Bottom line, Solarforce is "better" for the money you pay.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own Surefire Z41s, both stock and modified (McClicky mod), and Solarforce L2 reverse-clickies, both stock and modified, as well as Solarforce forward clickies. Do I have a favorite out of all of these tail caps? Not really. Do I prefer one over the other? Well, I prefer forward clickies and the traditional Solarforce tail cap is a reverse-clicky and that's why I've modified them. The Solarforce forward clickies are perfectly acceptable and, dare I say it, comparable to the McClicky modified Z41/L2 tail caps. The only negative to the Solarforce tail caps is that the threads are not anodized and you cannot lock out the light by unscrewing the TC a quarter turn like you can with a Z41.

Cypher_Aod

Enlightened
My EDC, a Surefire C2 still has the stock HA Z41 because it means it can't get left on by accident.

On the other hand, my portable spot/searchlight, a modded Surefire L6 has a modded Solarforce L2P switch with a forward clicky. looks good, feels fine, works perfectly.

I wouldn't say that either are any "Better", Surefire tailcaps are somewhat better built but solarforce tailcaps are excellent value for money.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
anybody know how many amps the solarforce forward clickies can handle?
i ask cause im thinking of getting a L2T, but want to use it with a XM-L drop-in.

Ive used a L2P reverse clicky before... but still prefer my McClickies.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you guys would rank the malkoff clicky tailcaps above either?

Erzengel

Enlightened
anybody know how many amps the solarforce forward clickies can handle?
i ask cause im thinking of getting a L2T, but want to use it with a XM-L drop-in.

Ive used a L2P reverse clicky before... but still prefer my McClickies.

Their newer Tailcaps (this includes the L2T) are rated for 3 Amps. This should be enough for an XM-L Drop-In. If not, the damage is not so huge.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to keep Surefire lights looking like Surefire lights. I've bought a lot of Z59 clickies. I've also modded many Z41s with McClickies. Both great. I have a few SolarForce products and find them excellent. I have had other clickies fail, but not Surefire or SolarForce. Go with the one you like.

Rawhide

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply all. I got some new L2T and L2P, I found the lights very nice and decided to get L2T and L2P host only as I think I might need the tail caps and bezels. Based on your replies I think I'll get more SolarForce lights, my wallet cannot survive anymore SureFire parts and accessories anymore. Hehe.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The S7 is the only tailcap close enough in design to a z41 to be 'drop in' compatible. Others require adatations in and around the boot.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce S10 (L2T tailcap) is 100% McClicky friendly... just unscrew fit ring from inside and replace the switch... nothing else necessary... I've upgraded all of mine as I love McClicky feel and reliability (have 5 S10's as I find them rather cool looking)...

Also, that S9 (I think) tailcap, from M6 with stainless steel crenelated end is also same design as S10 and one can swap switches in seconds, no modding needed... as a matter of fact, the fitting ring goes a little DEEPER when tighten over McClicky so it's possible to add another O-Ring on boot and make it closer to "flush" look, shortening the visual size of the whole flashlight...

I don't necessarily like Solarforce more than Surefire but I really like the fact that they have numerous different models that are REALLY affordable and then are easy to mod, grind, paint, etc...

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, when I swapped a McClicky into my L2T tail it wouldn't turn off because the ring was making contact with the part of the switch that needs to be kept separated from the rest of the switch.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I'm running a Torchlab triple XPG in a L2X extended with two AW 2900s. It is my assumption that the reverse clicky on the L2X can handle up to 5 amps. Am I correct?

I also have a L2T on the way for the triple XPG drop-in to be powered by two AW IMR 18350s. I understand that the forward clicky on the L2T will only handle 3 amps with possibly alot of resistance. Will the Oveready McClicky kit fit into the stock L2T forward clicky or not? If not, what modifications are needed? I'm seeing two different answers here.. Just trying to clear this up.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the Oveready McClicky kit fit into the stock L2T forward clicky or not? If not, what modifications are needed? I'm seeing two different answers here.. Just trying to clear this up.
No, the Oveready McClicky kit will not fit. The Oveready kit includes a brass adapter that allows the McClicky switch to fit into a Z41 tail cap that's been gutted. The L2T clicky is held in place with a reduced diameter locking ring so the brass adapter will not thread on far enough to allow the tail cap to even thread onto the end of a L2T flashlight body. To make a McClicky switch fit you take the L2T tail cap apart, ream out the inner diameter of the lock ring larger by about 0.04" or so, remove the button, flip it inside-out, cut the nub off, drop it back into the tail cap, drop the bare McClicky into the tail cap then drop in the lock ring and thread it on snug. Test it. If it turns on when you screw the cap on, try pinching the tail cap to see if the rubber button is pressing down on the McClicky button. If pinching the rubber button turns off the light then take it apart again and trim off more of that nub until it works. If the pinch test doesn't work then check to see if the switch is centered or not and center it if not and ream out the lock ring more if it is centered. Test it and keep reaming until it works correctly. Done.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
No, the Oveready McClicky kit will not fit. The Oveready kit includes a brass adapter that allows the McClicky switch to fit into a Z41 tail cap that's been gutted. The L2T clicky is held in place with a reduced diameter locking ring so the brass adapter will not thread on far enough to allow the tail cap to even thread onto the end of a L2T flashlight body. To make a McClicky switch fit you take the L2T tail cap apart, ream out the inner diameter of the lock ring larger by about 0.04" or so, remove the button, flip it inside-out, cut the nub off, drop it back into the tail cap, drop the bare McClicky into the tail cap then drop in the lock ring and thread it on snug. Test it. If it turns on when you screw the cap on, try pinching the tail cap to see if the rubber button is pressing down on the McClicky button. If pinching the rubber button turns off the light then take it apart again and trim off more of that nub until it works. If the pinch test doesn't work then check to see if the switch is centered or not and center it if not and ream out the lock ring more if it is centered. Test it and keep reaming until it works correctly. Done.

Thank you for the explanation PCC! Seems easy enough to do with a dremel.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm... so will the Z41 tailcap work with the L2T body?
i dont have any solarforce hosts, but it was always my intention to use it with a Z41, and possibly a McClicky

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hm... I have 5 L2T tailcaps, now all upgraded to McClicky... ONCE it happened to me that it was on all the time but after I wiggeled the switch inside a little bit, it didn't make any contact... nor it will since some water drops came out of threads once I thightened them down... all four work like a charm and I click the s*#t out of them all the time as I play with my lego creations all the time...

But I do agree that widening inside diameter of lock ring will avoid double contact forever...

Last edited:

JJay03

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce S10 (L2T tailcap) is 100% McClicky friendly... just unscrew fit ring from inside and replace the switch... nothing else necessary... I've upgraded all of mine as I love McClicky feel and reliability (have 5 S10's as I find them rather cool looking)...

Also, that S9 (I think) tailcap, from M6 with stainless steel crenelated end is also same design as S10 and one can swap switches in seconds, no modding needed... as a matter of fact, the fitting ring goes a little DEEPER when tighten over McClicky so it's possible to add another O-Ring on boot and make it closer to "flush" look, shortening the visual size of the whole flashlight...

I don't necessarily like Solarforce more than Surefire but I really like the fact that they have numerous different models that are REALLY affordable and then are easy to mod, grind, paint, etc...

Does the s10 with a mcClicky fit better then the S7? Could you take a pic of the s10 with Mcclicky on a surefire.