• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Best Battery Options

Vernon

Enlightened
I just ordered my first McGizmo - a Haiku XML - and I can't wait to see it tomorrow. Could I get some advice and perspective on the best batteries to use?

First, can I use straight up primary CR123's? Can I also use rechargeables?

I have some AW IMR cells (18350) and I've always wondered if IMR's are standard R123's (or are those two separate types of rechargeables)? Can I run an IMR cell in a Haiku?

Thanks so much for the help here. I looked around for the answer before posting a thread, but definitely let me know if I missed an existing thread. Many thanks!

Last edited:

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use primaries or rechargables. But not 18350's as they are too large in diameter. Since the light is regulated, IMR cells won't make it brighter. I use AW's protected cells in my 1x123 McGizmo lights and if I use a primary it's usually a surefire cell.

fyrstormer

Banned
The Haiku doesn't run at a high-enough power for IMR cells to make a difference. You *can* use them if you want, but I prefer to use normal RCR cells because they have a low-voltage cutoff circuit. (yes, I know, that's just supposed to be a backup mechanism; I don't care. :p)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto to Drywolf and Fyrstormer. I use both because I have both, but prefer the 'black label' AW RCR as it has greater capacity (750mAh versus 550mAh.)

Rarely if ever do I use primaries. I'm too cheap...

Vernon

Enlightened
Very helpful. With that, what charger do you recommend for the r123's? Is there a charger that will handle both r123 and IMR cells?

Many thanks!

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Pila charger is very nice I own one and use it often. I also own the charger AW sells on the MP:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?176076-Intelligent-Charger-for-LiIon-cells-part-2

It work well too and includes two spacers that you will need for both chargers to recharge short cells (123) and you can order a 12v cigarette cord for $2.50 (get it).

This might help too.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...-ion-into-an-18650-charger-(Pila-IBC-or-other)

Frank

:)

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally use AW's R123 Black Top rechargeables and Ultrafire WF139 to charge them.

Congrats on your McGizmo.

Vernon

Enlightened
So, I'm leaning towards a Pila charger - thanks for the insight. One last question for you guys!

I just ordered AW R123 cells - thanks for the advice. I already own AW IMR cells along with a "Nano Travel Sized Lithium Charger" from Overready. According to what I'm reading on overready, it appears the nano will charge both the r123 and imr cells.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with the nano charger (especially as it compares to the Pila)? I'm OK to drop another $50 on the Pila but don't want to if the Nano charger will do the job (and I'm cool with charging one cell at a time).

http://www.oveready.com/batteries-chargers/nano-travel-sized-lithium-charger/prod_114.html

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll definitely charge them, but it's not quite as sophisticated as the Pila. There are many good charger choices out there - the Pila just keeps your batteries in the best condition. Like many here, I have a large collection of both IMR and RCR batteries, and I want them to last as long and maintain as much capacity as possible...I think the Pila charger does a very good job of both.

Freyth

Enlightened
Hey Guys, sorry to "hijack" this thread but I thought it a better idea to ask in this thread than to create yet another thread.

Does anyone know which Li-ion will fit in the 2x123 body? Also, will it have a greater runtime than a single primary - assuming the light is a Makai XM-L (non-6V LE)?

Will using 2x R123 in a Makai XM-L 6V produce a better runtime as well?

BarryG

Enlightened
You can use primaries or rechargables. But not 18350's as they are too large in diameter. Since the light is regulated, IMR cells won't make it brighter. I use AW's protected cells in my 1x123 McGizmo lights and if I use a primary it's usually a surefire cell.

Just wondering, has anyone bored out a Haiku to try an 18350? I know some of Mac's early EDC's were done this way before he started doing it. I would consider doing it to mine for another battery option, but I would hate to ruin it!

Barry

Vernon

Enlightened
Just wondering, has anyone bored out a Haiku to try an 18350? I know some of Mac's early EDC's were done this way before he started doing it. I would consider doing it to mine for another battery option, but I would hate to ruin it!

Barry

I haven't bored, but I'm honestly quite pleased with the runtime I get on a R123 or a 16340. Don's choice of light levels and respective drive allow for a nice balance of brightness and runtime.

I'd be interested in how much more runtime one would see going to an 18mm cell. I would guess it would be negligible, but I'm no expert in this arena. No matter, I'd be scared as hell to mess up a beautiful Ti tube!