Looking For Godot

tnuckels

Enlightened
I do this from time to time. Get a hair up my butt, expend an inordinate amount of bandwidth searching the Internet, then come whimpering to those in the know at CPF beggin' for suggestions. This time I'm trying to pare down the crap I tot around every day.

For a while now this has consisted of the following:
Simple, one-handed, compact, lock-blade pocket knife w/clip: Leatherman e33Lx , Kershaw Random Leek 1660TGRYST, Benchmade Mini Griptilian 557SBKSN, or CRKT M16-10KZ
Compact multi-tool: Leatherman Squirt S4
EDC multi-powered flashlight: Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi
And a P-38 can opener (the original EDC tool)

I don't see replacing the IlluminaTi any time soon but was hoping to combine the functions of the Squirt with a can opener (like the p-38 or like those found on a Swiss army knife) with a respectable one handed, ~3" lock-blade, pocket knife w/clip, all measuring about 4x1 x 1/2-5/8 thick. So, basically a jumbo sized Squirt w/either scissors or pliers & a blade to match the larger size. Oh yeah … and I'd like a name I can depend on, not some crappy knockoff.

Closest I've found so far is the Leatherman Skeletool, but for its size I don't see why it has to give up so many functions. If they could do a one-handed-blade version of the Juice S2 with a pocket clip, that'd probably work too.

I've poked around the following websites:
Leatherman
Victorinox
Wenger
Gerber
SOG
Benchmade
CRKT
Buck
Spyderco
Kershaw
Schrade
Boker

WOW! All I can say is "So many savage knives … so few folks that really need killin".

Anyhow, I'm open for suggestions …

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
I think you're out of luck on this one. :(

I've tried many times as well to slim down the stuff I carry in my pants. So far it's up to a main knife (Victorinox One Hand Trekker or Spyderco Police 3 or Kershaw Blur S30V), my Leatherman Juice S2, and my Leatherman Squirt P4 and Micra! Phew. Too much junk. Unfortunately I've had to carry them all because they all have their separate functions... The scissors on the Juice S2 are big enough sure but they are nowhere near as strong as the scissors on the Leatherman Micra. The pile of zip-ties I have cut with my Micra can attest to that.

I have always thought that a (reputable) knife/multi-tool company should make a modular multi-tool in which you can select certain tools from a list of tools to put on your multi-tool that way your multi-tool is customized for your needs. This also has the advantage of being able to replace out old tools that have gotten worn out. Perhaps something like this already exists?

Anyways, good luck on your search.

tnuckels

Enlightened
@IMON: Once upon a time I recall seeing a manufacturer, Gerber maybe, that had roll your own (within reason) capability on their website, but sadly this appears to be a thing of the past. It just seems such a tiny stretch, to offer a small-medium multi tool with a respectable blade. I'd give up the clip so long as there was a lanyard attach, just something to keep it from going missing.

@OBI: I carried the same old Tinker SAK for about 10 years (once I discovered the-way-of-the-lanyard-through-the-belt-loop and stopped leaving them as gifts for unsuspecting travelers) but found I could get the same functions in the much smaller Micra + P-38, which then became a Squirt for its access to the tools on the outside. But after a time I missed having a blade that could do real work and that wouldn't make grown men giggle. I'll delve deeper into the SAK lineup as the deluxe Tinker looks to improve on an old favorite. I did do a double take at THIS lovely beast on the Wenger website.

BTW, a pox on manufacturers who fail to include ALL the pertinent dimensions for their product, which is the majority of them!

Imon

Enlightened
...I did do a double take at THIS lovely beast on the Wenger website. ...

...BTW, a pox on manufacturers who fail to include ALL the pertinent dimensions for their product, which is the majority of them!...

WOW. A $240 Wenger? Now I've seen everything. I guess my exposure to Wenger has just been sparse - I've always viewed Wenger as Victorinox's unmarried ugly sister. As for the manufacturers failing to provide all the pertinent dimensions, yeah, I wonder why Wenger didn't list the width of that tool... :whistle: There must be a reason why it weighs 8.8 oz, right?

tnuckels

Enlightened
WOW. A $240 Wenger? Now I've seen everything.

You need to get out of your cave more often 'cause you ain't seen nothing YET.

Still no joy in my search … by the time I get enough function in a SAK it gets too bulky to be pocket carried comfortably. I've set the limit at about ¾" thick and without the second body of a multi-tool to spread the load SAKs just get portly.

I am, however, beginning to question the wisdom of carrying a substantial blade as a friend's son who was on the loosing end of an *** whooping resorted to his knife and is now up on felonious assault charges while the older, larger, perp with a criminal record is strolling the streets. Maybe its better just to take your lumps?

nbp

Flashaholic
I think that as soon as a person starts viewing their knife as a weapon rather than a tool they are asking for trouble at some point.

tnuckels

Enlightened
I saw an interesting combo knife/flashlight out of the corner of my eye the other day & jotted down the name of the beast, but when I go to the website I was again disappointed with the offerings from Tool Logic (seems to have some affiliation with SOG).

Still seerchin' high & low-ow-ow-ow-o …