Alkaline batteries ate through wall of aluminum 3D body

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I think I had this light from the days before I joined CPF, and occasionally have used it for pathetic contrast to show what a REAL flashlight can do. Was cleaning out the cupboard, and saw the typical white crystallized battery acid coming out the base of the focusing head. I took it out and was quite amazed that the other side had 1/4 inch of white discharge crystals coming out the side of the light. Admittedly, this was using off name alkaline D cells, and a Sears Craftsman brand of light...but I never imagined that alkaline batteries could actually eat through the sides of the body. There were no pre-existing cracks or scratches, and you can see a second small spot where it is also eating through. Tried to remove the light assembly, but it appears to be anchored from the bottom, and I really don't want to deal with removing these cells. Don't even know if I care enough about this to ask Sears for a replacement. But I did remember how much we at CPF enjoy seeing odd things like this, so I took some photos, and temporarily threw the light in a large Ziplock baggie.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nasty. It never hurts to be reminded why alkaline batteries are evil.

But it also highlights something not often appreciated, that aluminium is really quite reactive chemically. The only thing that saves it is the thin oxide layer on the surface that protects the metal within. If you could remove that oxide layer, aluminium would get eaten away by water. That's why the batteries attacked it, actually. The alkaline electrolyte is able to dissolve the protective oxide layer and expose the aluminium to attack. Once that happens the light is toast.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just the other day I noticed some thick aluminum panels we had at work had been partially buried in the soil out behind the shed. The ground must be really alkaline there, it has that white crust you see. Anyhow, I pulled one of them up and it had holes all the way through it, probably 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick.

Still, I wouldn't have thought about batteries doing that.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"and occasionally have used it for pathetic contrast to show what a REAL flashlight can do."

Funny timing that you mention this. Last night I noticed that the 6D Mag I use for "pathetic contrast to show what a REAL flashlight can do" is being eatin by it's <1yr old Energizer rabid bunnies. I have had that light for about 15-17 yrs.

I guess it's time to make use of that 658 bulb and some 26650s. lovecpf

kuksul08

Enlightened
Yikes! Nearly the same thing happened to me just 4 or 5 days ago. I took out an old 3AAA LED flashlight that had been sitting around for a while and it wouldn't turn on. Hmm... so I went to take out the batteries and I got a nice handful of white powder. After cleaning it out and scraping out all the white crust, I could see that it had eaten halfway through the aluminum. Stupid alkalines.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and you thought the powdery white coating on the Energizer bunny was fur!

That little mammal is a base-spewing mutant who burns through aluminum lights!

He should be put on trial.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
......I did remember how much we at CPF enjoy seeing odd things like this, so I took some photos, and temporarily threw the light in a large Ziplock baggie.

Thanks for the pics, Lux. A reminder of why I started phasing out alkaline cells in the early 80's. I started with 400-450mAh AA NiCd cells. The capacity wasn't anywhere near comparable, but oddly enough, in incan flashlights and other higher current drain devices, their performance was appreciably better, while they lasted anyway.

Today, I'm alkaline free, with the exception of 1.5 Volt button cells. Unfortunately, I've had them leak also, in devices that don't get used often. Am looking into NiMh button cells. They'll be a PITA because of their low capacity and the need to monitor their charge status and recharge often, but at least that should spell the end to destroyed devices, such as your Craftsman light, once and for all.

Dave

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's nasty. Never realized they could eat through a flashlight body.

We are almost free of alkaline cells at home.

I have some D cells in a couple of lanterns that will be replaced with NiMh cells once they are used up (or donated to the in-laws).
9V cells are the only alkaline cells that will remain in our home.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
......9V cells are the only alkaline cells that will remain in our home.

Yeah, that was one of the diehards, around here. I used to use 7.2 Volt NiCd batteries, before NiMh came out. They didn't work in a lot of things due to the low voltage. Now, I've found that the 8.4 Volt NiMh "9 Volt" batteries work quite well. The 9.6 Volt variety (11.5 Volts+, hot off the charger) may be a bit too much voltage for some devices, so have never tried them. The 8.4 Volt batteries come off the charger at just a bit over 10 Volts , similar to a new 9 Volt alkaline, so the 8.4's are nearly identical.

The biggest problem with 9 Volt NiMh substitutes, is over discharging/reverse charging the cells in the "battery". The best thing to do to avoid this, is to be sure to never fully discharge the battery. This isn't ideal, obviously, but it seems to be working out so far anyway. I'm sure if the cells in the battery were fully discharged (1.00 Volt/cell) once in a while, the batteries would probably perform better and last longer, but a tradeoff has to be made, the way I see it, so I just charge often. The other thing is to only use a 0.1C charge rate with these batteries. Anything more than that will surely overcharge some cells, and undercharge others, leading to early failure of the battery.

Dave

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes , you should only give alkaline batteries to people you don't like ... I've had in-laws like that too.
:devil:

It's more to do with the fact that I can't convince them to use rechargeable batteries and the fact my father-in-law was very careless with rechargeable batteries the last time he attempted to use them.
Also being colour-blind and legally blind doesn't help either.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
:devil:

It's more to do with the fact that I can't convince them to use rechargeable batteries and the fact my father-in-law was very careless with rechargeable batteries the last time he attempted to use them.
Also being colour-blind and legally blind doesn't help either.
Just explain to him that he shouldn't handle Alkaline batteries and then rub his eyes (in case there is any white powder present) ... I mean the white powder off the leaky batteries.
evilgrin07.gif

RCM

Enlightened
Judging by the negative plate on that one exposed cell, those Ds look like they were made by Duracell...I had a 6D maglite ruined by alkalines as well, I think they were fujitsu cells inside...I don't use alkalines really all that much anymore...and the pics above show why!

Latest posts