Crash investigation! Any feedback welcome! :)

jonahailsa

Banned
Hey guys!

I've been flying for few months and haven't had a single issue until yesterday!

Here's the story:

I bought a new motor (Himax 2000kv) and a separate BEC to power the receiver. I also replaced the aileron servo on the left wing.

Weather: It was rather windy but I've flown in similar condition before without this trouble.

What happened?
When I flew up towards the wind, the plane turned left and crashed on the ground. I couldn't make it turn right, like the ailerons affected it 5-10%.

I attempted this 4-5 times and the same pattern happened, except once I managed to get high up in the air and I could BARELY turn it right, and I saw the ailerons in correct position, still it was not behaving.

Could it be that the wind was just much more than I realized? Because I believe I've flown in such a windy condition without much trouble, at least I could turn left/right as I wanted as long I faced the wind.

After each attempt I carefully looked at everything on the plane, tried to move the ailerons, checked the rudder, etc.. it was all in correct position and moved correctly. The ailerons can pitch a lot so they should have good effect like I've had before.

So.. could a new motor really make the plane behave this way? Was it just the wind? Any tips on what I could check?

And btw, when the plane was in the air I saw the ailerons in "TURN RIGHT" position and it was still going left, so... what the heck? The reason I kept trying again and again was to find out what was causing this, I was so curious cause it should be able to fly stable towards the wind.

Plane: Hobbycool Bixler with all servos replaced with HXT900, motor: Himax 2000kv.

I think the wind was around 4m/s (according to weather stations) and I've flown in a 4m/s before.

I've ruled out: Interference problem, ailerons and I can't believe it was the wind :/

Thanks!

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, but given the section this is in, what does this have to do with flashlights?:confused:

Edit: Reading through all your other posts, you're aware that CandlePowerForums is a flashlight forum and not an RC plane forum, right?

Edit2: Thanks to whichever mod moved this thread. My second question still stands though.

Last edited:

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
On RC forums I could understand, but why a flashlight forum and a mac forum? Checking his posts on both forums, all have been about RC planes. I might as well post questions about pianos on a windchime forum.

northpaw

Newly Enlightened
What happened?
When I flew up towards the wind, the plane turned left and crashed on the ground. I couldn't make it turn right, like the ailerons affected it 5-10%.

I attempted this 4-5 times and the same pattern happened, except once I managed to get high up in the air and I could BARELY turn it right, and I saw the ailerons in correct position, still it was not behaving.

Can't believe you kept trying. How could the plane even take off? You were lucky to walk away the first time.

brandocommando

Enlightened
Does the plane have any fog lights or landing lights that we should be aware of?

Last edited: