Petzl Ultra Modification

jeffthehunter

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I do a lot of night trail running and I generally switch between my Myo and my Petzl Ultra. For some reason, I have found that I just dont use my Petzl Ultra nearly enough so I have decided that it needs some improvements.

First - I want to customize the battery. The Ultra 2 and 4 batteries are expensive and heavy given the mAH rating. I am considering buying a spare stock extension cable (the one that goes from the regular back of the headband to your pocket or whatever) and simply utilize a third party pack. Likely http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion1...tbatterymodulewithpcbandfuelguagedisplay.aspx. 5200 mha @ 200 grams (with gauge) as opposed to the Ultra 2's 4000 mha at 270 grams.

Second - I'd like to improve the performance of the light. Sure it's bright but its a $400 light. It needs to be brighter. I generally run for a couple hours so the plan is to modify to get maximum brightness for 2 hours out of a 5200 mha pack. My initial thoughts are to modify the poor thermal design by replacing the plastic with aluminum but probably in smaller dimensions.

I would certainly appreciate any advice here on suggestions regarding replacing the LED's etc. Basically this is an open offer to do some R and D on my expensive lamp and I promise to share the results.

So - If you were in my position, where would you start and what would you do?

thanks!

robostudent5000

Enlightened
i don't mean to be glib or to discourage you from trying something, but why don't you sell your Ultra and buy a Spark ST6? the Spark is brighter and runs longer than the Ultra and that's on just one emitter and one 2.6-2.9 Ah battery and costs $100. if you mod the Ultra, it'll cost you about $35 just to buy 6 XPG or $50 to buy 6 XML emitters anyway AND those emitters won't really be an optimal fit for the Ultra's optic, so that's bound to be an issue. plus having 6 XPG or XML would be kind of a waste if you can't drive them properly, and you wouldn't be able to with the existing driver or the poor heatsinking on the Ultra. considering the costs and challenges, i think the result would be less satisfying than buying a Spark or a similarly priced, upcoming Zebralight H600

Szemhazai has a very handy beamshot comparison tool on his site. if you scroll through the list, you can compare the beam of the Petzl to the Spark.

*Edit*- Szem also wrote up a good review of the Ultra noting some of its limitations. sadly, there are no pics of a tear down.

Last edited:

jeffthehunter

Newly Enlightened
I can totally see your point. It probably would be *cheaper* to sell the ultra but what about the challenge of using the collective brainpower of this forum to outwit Petzl and build something much better based on their design. If I only end up with the headstrap in the end, it would be worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Petzl. Their lights are great but I have a chip on my shoulder with the Ultra as the cost to performance doesn't match the market.

Another way to look at this - with your (collective) brains, and my money and labor - we can go far. :)

Call it a pure R and D project!!!

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, let's conduct the R (research) part of this endeavor first :) I hike (but don't run) and I also walk at night along a local running trail at a nearby park. I can walk with no lights. I see some runners with floody but lower powered lights (which would be my approach I think). I see other runnings with a lot of light on their head.

So I would be interested in getting your viewpoint on why a runner would want so much light when it just requires lugging along more batteries and it reduces you night (peripheral) vision.

Regarding improving the Petzl...what kind of emitter does it currently use?

jeffthehunter

Newly Enlightened
I've spent a lot of time trail running at night and to be frank a headlamp is not good for running. The light source is almost at the same angle as your eyes so there is no definition of trail obstacles due to the shadows being directly behind the object. A 100-300 lumen hand held lamp provides much better capabilities to run the trail than a head mounted high lumen petzl ultra. Most people don't realize this until they actually try it on a root ridden single track trail. That being said, the combination of a headlamp and handlamp works well because you still get some off eye angle shadowing.

I have no idea whats in the Ultra for LEDs. Should I pull the bugger apart? Or does someone know?

borrower

Enlightened
I think the leds are 6x SSC P4.

To the OP, I think your quest is good, but if you're going to basically replace everything but the strap I'd agree that selling the ultra and starting from scratch might be better.

I banged together a quick and dirty ~700 lumen headlamp here: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-d...-headlamp-easy2led-enclosure-l333-712601.html . Cost is probably $100-$150, depending on what you've got kicking around. Plus, patience will be a virtue, as you'll be getting parts mailed from everywhere. I like that it's bright and shares the weight front-to-back on the head, unlike the Spark. As noted in the link, it's a bit heavier than I would've liked, but it runs okay.

For future improvement, it should have been built with a lux-rc "master" engine, not the cheapy "single mode". That would also mean that a momentary switch would have to go into the power chain. The battery pack also needs some waterproofing. (I'm thinking about old innertubes glued up like a sock that's open at the bottom.)

ABear86

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
What did you end up with?
I have an ultra belt 4 myself, and am wondering to get another battery. Since the originals are priced sky high I am searching for people who have made their own battery for these lamps.

Is there any pugs in sale that fits the connector, or do I have to by an extension cord and use that plug? Want to keep the uportunity to use the oroginal battery too.