Xeno G42 XM-L (1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Warning: pic heavy, as usual. :whistle:

G42002.jpg

The new G42 XM-L is the latest high-output "thrower" light from Xeno. Having earned a lot of kudos for their 1xAA E03 offering, how does this higher-end light compare? Let's find out … :whistle:

Manufacturer's Specifications:
  • LED: Cree XM-L @ 2A (High)
  • LED Options:
  • 1) XM-L 1B U2 Cool White 5000-8300K, Max Output 605 lumens, 22,800 lux @1m
  • 2) XM-L 4C T5 Neutral White 3700-5000K, Max Output 535 lumens
  • 3) XM-L 7B T4 Warm White 2600-3700K, Max Output 510 lumens
  • Mil-spec Type III Hard-Anodized Gun Gray
  • Large, deep highly polished aluminum reflector
  • Powered by 1×18650, 1×17670 or 2x CR123 (no RCR123/16340)
  • Linear LED driver, No PWM
  • 3-Stage driver: High, Medium, Low
  • Double Gold plated springs (Shock proof)
  • Tactical Forward clicky switch with silver plated contacts
  • Brass LED heatsink / driver housing
  • Built in pocket / bag clip
  • Multiple Lanyard attachment options
  • Size: 6.3″ (160mm) 1.8″ (46.5mm bezel)
  • Weight: 9oz (256g, w/o battery)
  • Crush test: Survived being driven over by a 1.7 Ton SUV
  • Waterproof test: Survived 10M pressure test
  • Anti-roll design
  • This light can tail stand
  • Glow ring around the reflector and lens
  • Silicon rubber glow clicky switch boot
  • Includes: Xeno Lanyard made from 550 paracord, Nylon Wrist lanyard, Spare rubber O-rings, Spare forward clicky switch, Packed in a Gift box
  • MSRP: ~$93
G42001.jpg

Packaging is fairly basic (I wouldn't really call this a gift box :rolleyes:), but the number of accessories are reasonable. Along with light (with lanyard ring and sturdy clip attached), you get an extended-length paracord lanyard, simple nylon lanyard, extra o-rings, extra switch and manual.

G42035.jpg
G42024.jpg

From left to right: Redilast Protected 18650; Xeno G42, Thrunite Scorpion V2 Turbo; Lumintop TD15X, P16X; 4Sevens X7; ArmyTek Predator

All dimensions are given with no batteries installed:

Xeno G42: Weight: 224.3g, Length 161mm, Width (bezel) 46.6mm
4Sevens X7: Weight 146.9g, Length: 151.5mm, Width (bezel): 38.7mm
Scorpion V2 with Turbo Head: Weight: 188.3g, Length: 171mm, Width: 41.0 (bezel), 37.0mm (tailcap grip ring)
TD-15X: Weight 150.3g (no batteries), Length 147.3mm, Width: 37.8mm (bezel)

The overall weight and dimensions of the G42 are typically slightly larger than most "thrower" class XM-L lights. I would expect above-average throw, given the size of the reflector.

The G42 has a very distinctive design, with a more rakish appearance than most lights.

G42003.jpg

Let start with overall build – the G42 has a lot of raised concentric rings around the body of the light (presumably to help with grip). There is a built-in clip that seems quite sturdy and high quality. It is apparently removable, but you have to completely disassemble the light to do it (i.e. remove the pill, etc.), which is not recommended.

Light has excellent quality anodizing, in a dark grey finish that is very reminiscent of recent Sunwayman and JetBeam lights. There are two bands of knurling, one around the bezel and one around the tailcap. Both are fairly aggressive. I would say that grip is definitely good with this light!

Light features stainless steel bezel and tailcap rings (flat on the bezel, scalloped on the tailcap).

Some distinctive features for lanyard attachment:

G42016.jpg

G42015.jpg

G42013.jpg

The G42 has a LOT of places to attach a lanyard, both on the removable ring, and built-in to the body/tailcap housing.

G42005.jpg

G42022.jpg

G42021.jpg

The G42 also has a lot of labels, although most of these are fairly inconspicuous, as you can see above.

G42017.jpg

G42019.jpg

Fairly traditional tailcap switch (forward clicky), in a solid tailcap end piece. Note the square-cut screw threads, fully anodized for tailcap lock-out. :thumbsup:

There is also a spring in the head, allowing you to use the newer high-capacity flat-top 18650 cells. All my flat-top 18650 cells worked fine in the light.

User Interface

The G42 uses a forward tailcap clicky - press and release for momentary on, click for locked on.

Mode switching is controlled by rapidly flashing the tailcap when the light if off. Sequence is Hi - Med – Lo, in repeating sequence. Just press further for locked-on activation once you find the mode you want.

For a more detailed examination of the build and user interface, please see my video overview: :wave:

Video was recorded in 480p, but YouTube defaults to 360p. Once the video is running, you can click on the 360p icon in the lower right-hand corner, and select the higher 480p option, or even run full-screen.

No PWM/Strobe

There is no sign of PWM that I can see, at any output level. Either they are using a frequency that is too high for me to detect, or the light is actually current-controlled as claimed. :)

There are no strobe/SOS modes on the G42.

Beamshots:

G42009.jpg

G42031.jpg

The new G42 uses a Cree XM-L emitter, well centered on my sample. My sample came with the Cool White version of the XM-L, but Neutral White and Warm White are also available. Reflector is smooth and deep, likely to produce good throw.

And now the white-wall beamshots. ;) All lights are on max output, on 1x18650. Lights are about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences.

G42-Beam001.jpg
X7-Beam001.jpg
TD15X-1x-Beam001.jpg
Scorpion2-Beam001.jpg

G42-Beam002.jpg
X7-Beam002.jpg
TD15X-1x-Beam002.jpg
Scorpion2-Beam002.jpg

G42-Beam003.jpg
X7-Beam003.jpg
TD15X-1x-Beam003.jpg
Scorpion2-Beam003.jpg

G42-Beam004.jpg
X7-Beam004.jpg
TD15X-1x-Beam004.jpg
Scorpion2-Beam004.jpg

The G42 definitely has good throw for this class light, as expected for such a large and deep reflector. There is a definite wide corona around the hotspot, which shows some minor tint-shifting.

UPDATE Nov 15, 2011: And now for the outdoor shots. :) These beamshots were done in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up review. Please see that thread for a discussion of the topography (i.e. the road dips in the distance, to better show you the corona in the mid-ground).

G42-V2T-TN11.gif

G42-RRT15-BC40.gif

G42-BC40-PA40.gif

Sorry, the PA40 should say 4x, not 8x.

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have recently devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lighbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

Effective November 2010, I have revised my summary tables to match with the current ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.sliderule.ca/FL1.htm for a description of the terms used in these tables.

G42-FL1-Summary1.gif

G42-FL1-Summary2.gif

Even though the G42 is not driven as hard as some of my other recent XM-L lights, throw on 1x18650 is top-of-the-class. It even manages to slightly out-throw the Thrunite Scorpion V2 Turbo (although the difference is negligible).

The Xeno manual report ANSI FL-1 values for this emitter as 605 lumens max output and 22,8000 lux @1m (300m beam distance). Although I would estimate my sample is a little lower in output, the throw doesn't seem far off.

Output/Runtime Comparison:

G42-Hi18650.gif

G42-HiCR123A.gif

The G42 is fully regulated on both 1x18650 and 2xCR123A (note 2xRCR not supported, which may have something to do with it). Runtime is reasonable, and consistent with Xeno reported specs on a 2600mAh battery.

Potential Issues

Light cannot signal in momentary mode, as flashing the forward clicky from Off advances through the output modes.

2xRCR (16340) Li-ion is not supported.

No holster is supplied.

Preliminary Observations

The G42 is an impressive-looking light – I don't think I've seen anything with quite this much ridge detail and extra styling. :eek:oo:

Build is substantial and high quality, with a lot of nice touches. You can see careful attention to detail has gone into the light, although I do consider it a bit over-built on some of the design elements (i.e. there are a lot ridges, rings and lanyard attachment points). While external styling is in the eye of the beholder, ;) there is no doubt that this is a solid light – the significant mass suggests excellent heatsinking, and grip is obviously good.

Aside from the build elements, the really distinctive feature of the light is the reflector – it has the best throwing beam I've seen for an 18650-class XM-L-based light. :thumbsup: One feature of Xeno I really like is the availability of multiple tint bins (in this case Cool White U2, but Neutral White T5 and Warm White T4 are also available).

Max output is quite reasonable for the class, and runtime performance (fully-regulated pattern) is perfectly acceptable. Interface is straight-forward and easy to use. Mode spacing makes sense to me, with a fairly bright Med mode (i.e., really a battery-saving Med-Hi mode), and a relatively low Lo mode for extremely long-lasting runtime. There are no blinky SOS/strobe modes with the G42.

There are certainly smaller, more floody-style, 18650-based XM-L lights out there. But if you are in the market for throw, the G42 certainly warrants your consideration. :wave:

----

Xeno G42 provided by TacticalHID.com for review.

Last edited:

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another great review Selfbuilt, thx!! After reviewing it's smaller bro, I was really interested to see how well the G42 would do with the larger head and indeed, it's quite good and reasonably compact as well. That's a good point you mentioned that it's driven rather conservatively (as with most Xeno lights I believe), which leads one to wonder how the performance would be like if Xeno ever decided to release an enthusiast version driven a bit harder. :devil:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
That's a good point you mentioned that it's driven rather conservatively (as with most Xeno lights I believe), which leads one to wonder how the performance would be like if Xeno ever decided to release an enthusiast version driven a bit harder. :devil:
Thanks. It is actually driven to a reasonably high level, in keeping with lights like the Lumintop TD15X, Skilhunt Defier X1, etc. (and higher than the 4Sevens X7, Lumintop P16X, etc.). It is just not driven to the same level as the recent high-output lights, like the Scorpion V2, Spark SL6 and Zebralight SC600 (i.e. 2.5A).

One could imagine it would be quite a barn-burner at 2.5A. :devil: Given the hefty weight, I imagine the heatsinking would do fairly well.

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
The proportions remind me of a Surefire L5, just with a lot more milling done on it. And not only a NW option, but WW! I'm a bit in lust.

Using a forward clicky to cycle through modes is something I'm getting tired of, though. It makes rapid bursts of momentary on use a serious pain.

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Selfbuilt, always love your reviews. Especially now the YouTube vids.
Question: I don't see how to subscribe to your YouTube channel from an iPad in the Youtube app, any suggestions?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for your excellent review as always. Selfbuilt! :thumbsup:

I like the flat regulation runtime graph, the availability of 3 tint bins, and very good quality(sturdy) body.

Do you think G42 v2 use a current controled circuit?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Using a forward clicky to cycle through modes is something I'm getting tired of, though. It makes rapid bursts of momentary on use a serious pain.
A good point, just added the inability to signal with the light to the potential limitations section.

Thanks Selfbuilt, always love your reviews. Especially now the YouTube vids.
Question: I don't see how to subscribe to your YouTube channel from an iPad in the Youtube app, any suggestions?
Haven't tried it on an iPad, but my Android-phone YouTube app requires you to click on the link to the user first (i.e. there is a "by cpfselfbuilt" button under the vid). If you click on it, it brings up my channel, and there is a subscribe option on the top right-hand corner.

If you can't find it on the iPad YouTube app, you could always go through Safari and subscibe the regular way. When you re-enter the YouTube app, you should be able to access your subscriptions fairly easily. Good luck!

Thank You for the review. Were there any ANSI ratings ? I was wondering about their distance rating.
Yes, just the throw/beam distance values from the manual to the review. The manual's lumen estimates are apparently ANSI FL-1.

As you will see, my throw measurement is pretty close to the reported 22,800 lux @1m (300m beam distance).

I like the flat regulation runtime graph, the availability of 3 tint bins, and very good quality(sturdy) body.
Do you think G42 v2 use a current controled circuit?
That would be my guess, as I don't detect any signs of PWM.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, as usual. This looks like an impressive light. Did you notice the beam being particularly narrow? It appears that way in the first set of white wall beamshots.

Nytern

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! Took a chance and ordered the NW v2 (got it for $85 shipped) before you posted this review and you definitely put my mind at ease now :)

I was planning on powering my light with surefire cr123a's, but seeing how this affects runtime makes me reconsider.. Is it worth it to buy a charger and some 18650's? Must admit, I've got a healthy fear of charging lithiums in general :oops:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Great review, as usual. This looks like an impressive light. Did you notice the beam being particularly narrow? It appears that way in the first set of white wall beamshots.
I hadn't really noticed it in practice, but it does show up on the white-wall beamshots (i.e. a narrower spillbeam than typical). Looking down the bezel of the light, this doesn't surprise me - the reflector is quite deep given it's overall width, with a fairly steep angle. That usually results in a narrow spillbeam width.

I was planning on powering my light with surefire cr123a's, but seeing how this affects runtime makes me reconsider.. Is it worth it to buy a charger and some 18650's? Must admit, I've got a healthy fear of charging lithiums in general :oops:
A healthy fear is a good thing. ;) I recommend everyone read up on Li-ions (a number of good resources on the battery forum here), stick with reputable cells (AW and Redilast are my preferred choices) and a good charger (aka the Pila charger). The Xtar WP2-II charger seems pretty decent in my testing, as a more budget choice.

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
Thanks so much for this review. I have been waiting for a review of this light for a while. Have you had a chance to go outside with this light? If so, just how good is the throw and what other light does it compare to if you don't mind? I have a Jetbeam BC40 which is a pretty good throw light but I would like a good throw light that uses only one 18650 battery. Do you know how well this G42 will do as far as throw compared to the Jetbeam? Also, I'm assuming that I would get more throw from a G42 with the older R5. In your opinion would it be enough difference to make up for the extra lumens of the XM-L? Sorry to be such a pain but I live out in the sticks where there is lots of wide open range and throw is important to me. Thanks again for your review and all your reviews.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have a Jetbeam BC40 which is a pretty good throw light but I would like a good throw light that uses only one 18650 battery. Do you know how well this G42 will do as far as throw compared to the Jetbeam? Also, I'm assuming that I would get more throw from a G42 with the older R5. In your opinion would it be enough difference to make up for the extra lumens of the XM-L? Sorry to be such a pain but I live out in the sticks where there is lots of wide open range and throw is important to me. Thanks again for your review and all your reviews.
The BC40 is not as tightly focused for throw, but the output is higher, so effectively they throw about the same max distance (i.e. just the beam pattern is different, with a wider hotspot and brighter spill on the BC40). I plan to do outdoor beamshots soon, so you will be able to directly compare.

I haven't tested the XP-G version of the G42, but I doubt it throws much further - again, due to the lower overall output, peak throw is probably pretty comparable (just with a lot less less spill and tighter hotspot on the XP-G).

Basically, we are getting to the point where heavily-driven XM-L lights are matching or slightly out-throwing the earlier generation of XP-G lights. This is due to the much higher output compensating for the reduced focus (due to the larger die size of the XM-L). If you really want more throw than the BC40, I think you will need to get to a more focused 2x18650 light (e.g. Thrunite Catapult, Eagletac M3C4, Olight SR51, or the new Sunwayman T40CS that I will be reviewing soon).

But keep in mind that even doubling the lux @1m from ~20K (BC40) to ~40K (most of the others mentioned above) means only a ~40% increase in beam distance (since intensity decays by an inverse square law for a point-source equivalent of light). So those throwier lights will only "throw" ~40% further.

Chidwack

Enlightened
Thanks so much Selfbuilt. This is helping me a lot.

From your testing, have you found any single 18650 lights that have better throw than the G42?

Also, how would you rate the Olight M3X Triton in the batch of two 18650 lights that you mentioned? Thanks again.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
From your testing, have you found any single 18650 lights that have better throw than the G42?
Also, how would you rate the Olight M3X Triton in the batch of two 18650 lights that you mentioned? Thanks again.
For pure throw, there are a couple of aspheric options that that will give you >40K lux @1m on 1x18650 (e.g. Tiablo A9).

With a reflector, there are few older lights that use a XR-E R2 that can do ~30-35K lux @1m (Dereelight DBS V2 and Tiablo A10-G in my testing). But pretty much all the XP-G R5 lights I've tested top out around ~20k lux@1m, the same as the best throwing XM-L lights like the G42 and Thrunite Scorpion V2.

Haven't tested the M3X, but I would expect it throws well for the class. The M31 was a good thrower for a SST-50 (but I believe the M3X may not be driven quite as hard). For comparison of recent lights, you can see recent summary tables for 1x18650 and 2x18650 in my JetBeam RRT-21/15 review here.

light36

Newly Enlightened
Super review as always , thanks for the effort and the long hours that you put into producing such excellent reviews . Tops :thumbsup:

alessior100

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reviews. Excellent!
Where can I buy this torch? I do not find any shop, possibly in Europe. thanks

nitric

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the excellent and informative review. The package has arrived in malaysia but dealer is waiting for the delivery. Can't wait for it to reach my hand...

kreisler

Banned
thanks for the excellent review!
my next purchase will be one of the XENO D-series .. either the G5 (looks nice) or the G10 (looks strange). I dont like the looks of the G42 (looks too strange), and i certainly dont need a thrower.

it is possible to order the flashlight with an OP reflector installed via special order (email to the manufacturer). The only disadvantage i see with the XENO's is their weight. they are kind of heavy .. on the other hand that's the price for reliability!! :huh: