Your Zebralight Headlamp Preference: Regular or Flood?

Your Zebralight Headlamp Preference: Regular or Flood?

• Regular

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Flood

Votes: 37 64.9%
  • Regular, but I also use a home-made diffuser

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Both suck :)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
After ditching my 3rd Minimus due to the annoying glare in my face and horrible tint, I just received my first Zebralight - an H31W non-flood and, although the build quality is not Surefire and no dial-a-level, I am really really digging it - the neutral tint is phenomenally awesome :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It leaves me wondering though, if the flood version would have been a better choice for a hiking/camp light, so....

Which Zebralight headlamp do you prefer for camping/hiking? Regular or Flood?

Thanks!
-Harry

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
It leaves me wondering though, if the flood version would have been a better choice for a hiking/camp light, so....

Which Zebralight headlamp do you prefer for camping/hiking? Regular or Flood?

I have several of each type and feel that for close tasks: cooking, reading, in the tent--the flood (like the H501) is superior for me. For walking along trails or caving, I think that a spot/spill combo could be beneficial since the floods give you beautiful light but do not allow you to look farther down or into the woods... I will invoke the oldest CPF rule here: you probably would do best with both! :party:

Lumenz

Enlightened
I prefer the flood version for my Zebralight headlamps. I use a flashlight when I need a light with throw.

Harry999

Enlightened
I prefer the flood version for my Zebralight headlamps. I use a flashlight when I need a light with throw.

That is exactly my view as well. I might be using a Zebralight flashlight though like an SC51.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys - thank you very much for your opinions - I think I might just go ahead and order a flood version in AA and keep both, per Applevision's sage advice :D

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the H51 and the H51f. The H51f is my favorite light. The H51 I didn't particularly like as it was. I put a piece of diffusion material over the lens and I now like that as well.

There are some who don't consider the H51f or a H51 with diffusion as truly flood. I do and wouldn't want it to be any floodier than the H51f (which is perfect) The H51 with diffusion throws just a little bit further. They both make good hiking/camping lights. I take a small 1 AA light with aspheric (only 19 mm diameter) for throw. Throw is relative in that case of course but all I'm looking for is something small with a little more throw than the headlamps.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
True flood means there is no hot spot and spill. It has nothing to do with degrees or diameter of the beam.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
True flood means there is no hot spot and spill. It has nothing to do with degrees or diameter of the beam.

We could argue that. There's no hard and fast rule on what degrees of beam make a floody light (as is witnessed by all the manufacturers who make "headlamp with flood option" that's about as narrow as the "spot" setting) but I think a floody light is more than just even illumination. I think it includes a wide distribution of light, too.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
We could argue that. There's no hard and fast rule on what degrees of beam make a floody light (as is witnessed by all the manufacturers who make "headlamp with flood option" that's about as narrow as the "spot" setting) but I think a floody light is more than just even illumination. I think it includes a wide distribution of light, too.

I agree, otherwise an aspheric thrower is a flood light :)

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose I should have said the first requirement of a true flood beam is that it as no hot spot and spill.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The poll should ask, "if you have both ZL lights with true flood beam and regular beam, which one do you prefer?" I wonder if folks who own only ZL lights with regular beams have a frame of reference what a true flood ZL beam is.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
The poll should ask, "if you have both ZL lights with true flood beam and regular beam, which one do you prefer?" I wonder if folks who own only ZL lights with regular beams have a frame of reference what a true flood ZL beam is.

if you want to go that far, you might as well go all the way and ask "if you have a H31/H51 and a H31F/H51F AND a H30/H50/H60/H501, which do you prefer?" (says the guy who doesn't own a Zebra :D)

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I think they serve different purposes. So depends what your looking for. I only have the H51w and often thought maybe the F would have been better, and I have diffused it with a small piece of shower curtain for reading. Without another thrower light though, I wouldnt want to be outdoors with any less throw than my H51w. The flood models would be great for stuff at hands reach, inside a room, working under the hood, reading, inside tent, etc. So depends on what you'll be using it for and what other lights you may have also. Do you have a thrower? A floodlight? Are you only going to carry 1? Maybe you dont have a specific purpose and just want an edc light? What compromises are you willing to take?

I think the spot + spill will work for more situations. The spot on my H51 still goes out far enough to look down a long trail or spot an animal high in a tree, etc. At closer range the spot might be a little annoying though, but it would at least work. The flood version would excel up close with a nice smooth wide beam but at distance it probably would not work at all. The F version are an in between, they might still be ok for medium ranges I'm not sure. But the true floods would be pretty much useless at long ranges. I think for a better in between/all around light, the regular ZL like my H51w would be great if it just had a bit larger hotspot, like between 1.5x and 2x as big.

Last edited:

ico

Enlightened
It really depends on where do you plan on using it.

I was recently wanting an H51FW but then, some said that it looks just like an H51 with tape on it so I guess that the H501W would fit what I want as a pure and clean flood. Then I saw someone spoke of the H502. I was determined at getting the H501W but now I`ll just have to wait...:sigh:

carrot

Flashaholic
I have the H31Fw. I wonder whether I made the right choice. My most common scenario of usage is to get back to the trailhead after a long day of hiking.

I often find that the flood is too floody, since when navigating trails at night I must not only avoid obstacles with my feet but I must also find the right direction to walk. In these situations I often will use a headlamp geared towards better throw like the EOS, XP2, or Spot.

I am thinking of trying the H31c next. I do not find the neutral tint to be any better than the cool tints of other headlamps, but my single hi-CRI flashlight (HDS EDC) does make a noticeable difference.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive owned about 5 ZL, and the only 1 i still have is the H501w.

my usage consists of close up tasks, and work though.

i dont like the neutral tints ZL is using now, so i might jump ships to Sparks for brighter XM-L headlamps.