4 Sevens
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Swollen Nintendo DS lite LiIon...

  1. #1
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Hastings florida.
    Posts
    237

    Default Swollen Nintendo DS lite LiIon...

    If this is the wrong forum feel free to move it....
    My DS lite cell has swollen enough to bulge the cover out a bit. I have taken it out and its sitting outside...from all the threads I've read on LiIon cells I know that swelling is bad...but can't find a definitive answer as to the gas that's produced I am not going to try and charge it. Anyway, I am pretty sure it's hydrogen that's swollen it, my main question is, is it the charger that's done it, or just a worn out cell? It's about 3 and a half years old now....

  2. #2

    Default Re: Swollen Nintendo DS lite LiIon...

    If you have used it a lot (>100 cycles) the battery is probably just worn out. I see those types of cells all the time on heavily used laptop packs. Definitely don't charge or use it anymore. If you buy a second battery and it puffs up not long after using it, then I would suspect a faulty charging circuit. The gas inside that makes it puff up is Carbon Dioxide. Li-Ion has Di-Ethylene Carbonate (DEC) and Ethylene Carbonate (EC) as solvents inside. Those two compounds tend to break down give off Carbon Dioxide when the battery nears the end of life. I still wouldn't want to have ignition sources near them though as both DEC and EC are highly volatile and flammable.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Hastings florida.
    Posts
    237

    Default Re: Swollen Nintendo DS lite LiIon...

    Thanks, I have replaced it and it's working fine now, the other cell has been recycled...really don't need my best source of entertainment going besides from here of course

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •