My cordless home phone set is a couple of years old and the batteries are no longer holding a charge. I looked at the batteries and see they are orange Panasonic NiMH AAA, labelled 1.2V min 630mAh. Okay good, I don't need a new phone, I'll get rid of the Panasonics and replace them with some Eneloops, which just lit up the 100% light on my ZTS (sorry, not VM/MM to get exact voltage). So, I put the Eneloops in the phone, and the phone boots up with "Charge for 7h", which is the message when the batteries are nearly completely run down. Weird, I put in new charged batteries and it thinks they're dead? Tried another pair of Eneloops, same thing. So I put it on the charger, and it says it's charging. Batteries are warm but not hot -- though I note some Eneloops I put in the charger are not warm at all. Did I break some weird rule? Why in the world does the phone think my Eneloops are dead if it runs on what appears to be the exact same kind of batteries -- NiMH AAA? Am I risking disaster by putting the phone back on the charger? Obviously, I'm going to keep checking battery temp. Should I just dump the phones and buy new ones?