Headlamp needed

white_feather

Newly Enlightened
I need advice on a headlamp. I lay in bed at night and write in my journal. My wife is asleep next to me. I need a light that is bright enough to read/write by but not so bright that it wakes her up or blinds me. I have a handheld right now that could be perfect but it's a handheld. I need a headlamp version. I have the Fenix PD-30. the lowest setting is awesome. Does anyone know of a headlamp version? I don't need a bright light. I don't need a lot of throw. I don't need a wide beam or a narrow beam. I would like a good runtime. Advice please.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
I got a Fenix HL21 coming tomorrow, ill let you know how the low is for reading. Supposed to be 3 lm in low. I think your PD 30 is 10 lm on low

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZebraLight H501w. I've got one and it's perfect for the sort of thing you're describing. It's extremely versatile in how you can use it, too...worn on the headband, worn on a neck lanyard (and still able to be directed to where you need it), used tailstanding on the bedside nightstand. Very light weight, all flood with three levels (low-medium-high, 2.7/15/80 lumens, respectively). It'll cost around $60 if that's in your budget.

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
ZebraLight H501w. I've got one and it's perfect for the sort of thing you're describing. It's extremely versatile in how you can use it, too...worn on the headband, worn on a neck lanyard (and still able to be directed to where you need it), used tailstanding on the bedside nightstand. Very light weight, all flood with three levels (low-medium-high, 2.7/15/80 lumens, respectively). It'll cost around $60 if that's in your budget.

+1 for zebralight H501w. Best reading light I've owned. That said, it sounds like you already have a light you love! Fenix makes a strap to use their hand held lights as a headlamp. Check out any dealer that carries Fenix lights - it sells for appx 25 dollars IIRC.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another big +1 for the Zebralight H501w (the "w" means "neutral tint" & is easier on the eyes.) It is the best reading light around. Works great worn on my head, but I like it more pulled down around my neck. For most close up tasks it's perfect, but sometimes I have wished it were brighter (like cleaning up around a campsite at night or preparing breakfast before the sun comes up.) For reading, low & medium are all you need, but sometimes having a brighter light would be better for other tasks.

A newer brighter version of the H501 is about to come out called the H502. It doesn't sound like you need a brighter light, but the new one (cool white version) is due to come out next month. The release date for the neutral tint version has not been determined.

Here's the most recent info of released dates from zebralight.com - Click Here ......this link can be found on their home page by clicking the red button that says "Compare All Models".

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for zebralight H501w. Best reading light I've owned. That said, it sounds like you already have a light you love! Fenix makes a strap to use their hand held lights as a headlamp. Check out any dealer that carries Fenix lights - it sells for appx 25 dollars IIRC.

I use the Fenix headband, too, and I really like it for certain uses -- especially when I want to attach a flashlight to the side of a headband and get some good throw. At the same time, I find it kind of bulky and a lot more uncomfortable than the the ZebraLight headband with one of their lamps attached. Since the OP's light (the PD30) is not a flood, and I think he's wanting a flood for his night reading purposes, I think something like the ZebraLight 501w would likely better meet his needs. Having both of those options available for myself, the only one I'd use for what the OP describes is the 501w (that is, among the lights I have to choose from).

But white_feather, if you do happen to be interested in the Fenix headband as an option, we had a rather lengthy discussion of variations/options in this thread (and your PD30 would indeed fit that headband):

Fenix Headband + Throw Light + ZebraLight Flood

white_feather

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone. Money is no object. I will have to look at the Zebralight. I have a small group of lights. Basically two Fenix lights and an Energizer headlamp. Somewhere I have a TwinTask light with a burnt out bulb. I live two miles from TheBrightGuy so I'll have to take a long lunch one day this week and go down there.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think BrighGuy won't likely be recommending ZebraLight (don't think they carry them), but I envy you the ability to just pop in there... :thumbsup:

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
I got a Fenix HL21 coming tomorrow, ill let you know how the low is for reading. Supposed to be 3 lm in low. I think your PD 30 is 10 lm on low
Just got the HL21, on low and med with the diffuser on it, it is real, real nice for reading. Take a look into it.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Just got the HL21, on low and med with the diffuser on it, it is real, real nice for reading. Take a look into it.

no disrespect, but i have to disagree. not that good for reading IMO. medium is too bright, the diffuser creates more glare than diffusion and doesn't give you a smooth beam that's best for reading. the diffuser's body lights up pretty bright even on low, and if the OP's wife is light sensitive, it could be enough to bother her.

if price is not an issue, i too would go with one of the Zebras.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
no disrespect, but i have to disagree. not that good for reading IMO. medium is too bright, the diffuser creates more glare than diffusion and doesn't give you a smooth beam that's best for reading. the diffuser's body lights up pretty bright even on low, and if the OP's wife is light sensitive, it could be enough to bother her.

if price is not an issue, i too would go with one of the Zebras.
None taken, I just tried it out in my basement with all the lights off, reading some catalogs and magazines. I'll give it a whirl in bed tonight and report back.