Can someone clarify the meaning of power bandwidth when referring to batteries?

xul

Enlightened
"Rechargeable batteries have a wide power bandwidth, a quality that is shared with the diesel engine. In comparison, the bandwidth of the fuel cell is narrow and works best within a specific load. Jet engines also have a limited power bandwidth. They have poor low-end torque and operate most efficiently at a defined revolution-per-minute (RPM)."

They seem to be referring to the amp draw.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes, I think it means that they maintain their efficiency over a wide range of output power - i.e. from low current draw to high current draw, the mAh remains fairly constant.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I think it means that they maintain their efficiency over a wide range of output power - i.e. from low current draw to high current draw, the mAh remains fairly constant.

That would be my interpretation too.

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
I read it as reading the current draw of the battery...

An alkaline battery for example has a pretty low bandwidth - it can supply a low draw for a long time (ie the tv remote) but will die quickly when faced with high demands (the flashlight)
Lithium has a higher bandwidth - designed to handle higher current draw more efficiently.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
I ain't no electrical engineer or anything, but I think 'bandwidth' is a highly inappropriate word to use in the context.

xul

Enlightened