Malkoff M61 convert

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
It seems I've been reading forever on these threads just how good the Malkoff drop-ins are. I had dismissed them out of hand for being too expensive and not having enough features. I had convinced myself these were just Malkoff "fanboys" exaggerating their benefits. I've been buying numerous Deerelight, LF, Solorforce drop-ins and a host of various pills, reflectors, lenses and so on in search of the perfect beam. I finally broke down and took advantage of the current sale on the M61 and installed it in my C2 Centurion. Why didn't you guys tell me they were this good? :ironic: I don't think I've ever seen a more perfect beam of light coming from a flashlight. I didn't really know what you meant by a smooth transition from spot to throw. I do know!
Just a couple of suggestions for the great Mr. Malkoff. I would love a multi-mode drop-in. Even just two modes would be fine. One other thing, the M61 fits fine in my C2 ,I am satisfied with the fit but there is a small gap between the head and body. Personally I would like to be able to tighten the head down enough to hold a sheet of paper. I've read where you can file down the drop-in to make a tighter fit. Is this feasible? Again, thanks for a great drop-in.

Kraft

Newly Enlightened
Vincent3664, glad you've seen the light - but the quality of beam and light is only half the story, ruggedness and reliability is the other. Talk to some of the guys that strap Malkoffs to assault rifles, they'll tell you how well they are built. Don't forget resale value too.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use that dropin in a Malkoff flashlight you can buy a 2-level switch that fits in the head. +1 on what Kraft said. They have a great quality light and they are tough. Don't hear of many Malkoff failures! That's good stuff!

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will not see disco modes from Malkoff... Gene's doctrine is great - keep it as simple as possible... if you want two modes, then MD2 with hi/lo switch is a way to go... Unfortunatelly, even if it VERY TOUGH type III ano, it's rather glossy and somewhat slippery compared to a host like C2 is...

But there is a hope... there is a new material that allows different modes depending on the pressure... not expensive stuff that recently showed up at market (I believe so) and it's not explored yet... I know Gene was interested to try to accomodate it into his line if it shows good performer...

As for two stage tailcaps that might allow C2 to be dual mode (like McGizmo used to have in offer few years ago) are not being made aftermarket because of Surefire patents on similar...

I have M61 in C2 and M61W in MD2 with Hi/Lo... and swap them (together with few other flashlights I use for EDC at nights)...

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm not sure why the Elzetta host doesn't seem to be discussed much ... ? It can also be used with a Malkoff to provide a two-level output.

I run a M61HCRI in my C2, but have been interested to try an Elzetta for some time now.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I'm not sure why the Elzetta host doesn't seem to be discussed much ... ? It can also be used with a Malkoff to provide a two-level output.

I run a M61HCRI in my C2, but have been interested to try an Elzetta for some time now.

I've wanted to try an Elzetta too, seems like an extremely rugged platform. I think the reason it's not discussed that much is $$$. It's almost double the price of the MD2 host and won't accept 18650.

thaugen

Enlightened
I am in the same boat...I just purchased an MD2 hi/low switch with and a M61W I really like this light! I had not given too much thought to Malkoff in the past, but now I have seen the light!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats to a great purchase and a new nice experience! :)

Yes, Malkoff dropins provide a great beam and I have several of them dropped in as well Surefire hosts and Malkoffs own MD2. There will be a slight difference between the beams of Surefire and MD2, but both options are great! And with MD2 you have the possibility of a low mode.

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
Kraft, I was so impressed with the beam profile of the M61 I didn't give much thought to the ruggedness of it. Just holding it in my hand I can feel the weight and density. I have no plans to mount it to my AR-15 but it is reassuring to know I can. Tana, K.I.S.S. is my mantra. I have no need for S.O.S., or any other fancy modes. A Hi and low would be perfect, and possibly a memory to go with it. Tana, Swedpat or anyone else, can you tell me the approximate runtime on low with 123 primaries? I own quite a few lights but 260 lumens for 2 hours on primaries is pretty impressive. One hour on rechargeables ain't too shabby either. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Last edited: